The constant social activities and dances. The awkwardness of people like Mr. Collins (you know at least one of them). The emphasis on dating and marriage. Sometimes life in a singles ward can feel like you’re smack in the middle of a Jane Austen novel—for better or for worse.
Here are 15 times Pride and Prejudice was just too spot on with what it’s like being in a singles ward.
1. Attending sacrament meeting for the first time, feeling excited and nervous
Wow, it’s so quiet! Why is everyone scratching somebody else’s back?
2. Trying to introduce yourself and make friends
Same, Darcy. Same.
3. Being asked if you want to take home the leftover food from FHE
Extra cookies and brownies for daysss!
4. When RMs bring up the good ol’ mission
“When I was an AP…”
5. Partying it up with your friends at an Institute dance
Cha Cha Slide or Cupid Shuffle, anyone?
6. When that one dude mistakes your polite “no, thanks” for “try harder”
Don’t be a Mr. Collins… just don’t.
7. When your friend finally gets their mission call
You’re so happy for them… but also a little sad they’re leaving you.
8. When that one girl gets engaged after a week and gushes like a true Lydia
You know when you know, you know?
9. Laughing when your friend makes a joke in their talk or lesson
You’re obligated to laugh whether or not it was actually funny because, you know, friendship.
10. When you’re trying to flirt and the inside of your brain looks something like this
Mrs. Bennet’s nervous energy is taking over!
11. Hyping yourself up to ask someone on a date
Get yourself a wingman like Mr. Darcy.
12. When your date knocks on the door and the apartment goes silent
Quick! Someone needs to answer the door.
13. Trying to fill those awkward silences on said date
…and immediately regretting it.
14. Being amazed that they still seem to want to talk to you
Love is a mystery, as they say.
15. Realizing you’re actually having a good time with this person
Maybe there will be a second date? We’ll just have to see.