The Book of Mormon — A Treasure

• 10 months later...

I also wonder about taking the "Moroni Challenge" (I believe that is what I've heard it called). I have read the Book of Mormon, and am half-way through the D&C (just FYI-y'all should really promote deseretbooks.com... I bought a triple book of the BofM, D&C, and POGP, because it was only around $10), and, while I wouldn't say I'm not "feelin' it," I haven't been enlightened to its truthfulness.

I wonder what Mormons think about this? Have I read it wrong? Have I not prayed properly? Was I pre-destined to deny it?

Also- I'm wondering why the BofM is of greater importance than the D&C (the church doesn't give out free D&Cs as far as I know...). Because from my reading it seems that the majority of LDS doctrine comes from the D&C, and not the BofM (except, of course, the travelling to the Americans, the importance of the prohpets, and the foretelling of Joseph Smith). But the doctrine of revelation, celestial marriage, polygamy (which I know isn't practiced anymore, but was a doctrine at one point in time), pre-mortal existence, exaltation, etc. all comes through the revelations in the D&C, doesn't it? And yet, it seems to me that the BofM is promoted so much more than the other three books of scripture - even so far as to say that it (the BofM) is the most perfect book ever written. Why aren't copies of the D&C given out instead of the BofM?

Just a thought.

Shelly,

the reason that Doctrine and Covenants is probably not given out is because the church considered the Book of Mormon the keystone to the religion. I am sure that if an interested individual contacted the missionaries and asked for a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants then the missionaries would get that for them. If one doesn't believe the Book of Mormon however, then the Doctrine and Covenants is of little worth.

-RM

Shelly, I never have had an enormous revelation that the BoM is true. It often bothers me that I don't have the testimony that everyone else does (I think that part of my brain might be missing.) But I believe wholeheartedly in the church. I watch the conferences over and over, I read the Ensign until it's tattered, I participate wherever I'm needed or wanted, and I don't bother with trying to figure out why the church may NOT be true. As far as I'm concerned, the Mormons I know and the work done by the church speaks for itself.

I haven't even made it through the D&C yet, but a day does not go by when I don't pray (especially for a revelation), and reading the scriptures.

• 2 weeks later...

UrbanFool, I know no one could write the Book of Mormon unless the hand of God was helping them. The work of the Book of Mormon speaks for itself.

Satan hates the book because it is completely contrary to his work. The LORD uses the book as His tool because it contains the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.