The Book of Mormon — A Treasure

Mosiah 1:3-5

3 And he also taught them concerning the records which were engraven on the plates of brass, saying: My sons, I would that ye should remember that were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God.
4 For it were not possible that our father, Lehi, could have remembered all these things, to have taught them to his children, except it were for the help of these plates; for he having been taught in the language of the Egyptians therefore he could read these engravings, and teach them to his children, that thereby they could teach them to their children, and so fulfilling the commandments of God, even down to this present time.
5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.

Just as the arch crumbles if the keystone is removed, so does all the Church stand or fall with the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. The enemies of the Church understand this clearly. This is why they go to such great lengths to try to disprove the Book of Mormon, for if it can be discredited, the Prophet Joseph Smith goes with it. So does our claim to priesthood keys, and revelation, and the restored Church. But in like manner, if the Book of Mormon be true—and millions have now testified that they have the witness of the Spirit that it is indeed true—then one must accept the claims of the Restoration and all that accompanies it.

Yes, the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion—the keystone of our testimony, the keystone of our doctrine, and the keystone in the witness of our Lord and Savior.
Ezra Taft Benson, A Witness and a Warning, p. 19

Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none.
Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 7 vols., 2:52

• Few men on earth, either in or out of the Church, have caught the vision of what the Book of Mormon is all about
  • The Book of Mormon shall so affect men that the whole earth and all its peoples will have been influenced and governed by it.
  • There is no greater issue ever to confront mankind in modern times than this: Is the Book of Mormon the mind and will and voice of God to all men?
Bruce R. McConkie

I totally agree...what a great summarization of the total package.

Looking back on my own pure ignorance, I was never converted by the Book of Mormon but later had to go back and slowly digest the complete history of its people to gain that spirit of understanding. I was converted by the D&C and the Prophet Joseph Smith first. It may sound trivial to most but I now know why. Later after gaining spiritual maturity, I was given a testimony of that prophet.

Guest tomk

What would I have to gain out of reading the Book Of Mormon? When I did read it I never got anything out of it. I read, and prayed but yet never felt that "spirit".

This book can help you understand "why" you never got anything out of your experience with reading the Book of Mormon.

Focus on the first 3 or 4 chapters:

Amazon.com: The Holy Secret: James L. Ferrell: Books

Scriptures serve no real useful purpose if we just read the words, and that is all we do.

The scriptures are not a one-way monologue, with God speaking and us listening!!!

They are far more than that!

They are given with the intent to establish a DIALOGUE. A "two-way conversation" between ourselves and the Lord!

As we read the scriptures, we are to constantly be asking ourselves and asking the Lord QUESTIONS!!!!

We are to ask WHY WHY WHY?

Why is this phrased the way it was?

Why was this word chosen?

What patterns do I see emerging?

How does this bring me closer to God?

---------

Something I have begun doing each morning is what I call "counseling with the Lord in writing."

I learned about this technique in a book I read titled "Clean Hands, Pure Heart" by Phil Harrison.

Basically, what you do is keep a journal. Instead of praying vocally, you pray "on paper". You write-out your prayer and then record the Lord's response to you in writing as well. I write the Lord's response back to me in ALL CAPS so as to distinguish what He says from what comes from "me." I do the same thing for my scripture study. I write-out the verse, and I write down what I feel the Lord is saying to me about a particular phrase. I stop and I write His words to me, right in the middle of the verse oftentimes.

Here is an example from a recent journal entry of mine:

Tuesday, 11 March, 2008

Dear Jesus,

Good morning

GOOD MORNING, TOM

LET'S CAPTURE FROM THE D&C

Hearken, O ye people of my church, [HEARKEN, TOM] saith the voice [MY VOICE THAT YOU FEEL INSIDE OF YOU, MY VOICE THAT YOU FEEL MORE THAN AUDIBLY HEAR] of him who dwells on high, [READ THIS AS MY INVITATION TO YOU TO JOIN ME, TO COME TO WHERE I AM!] and whose eyes are upon all men; [iN MY CAPACITY AS YOUR GOD I MONITOR ALL THAT ALL THAT YOU DO, SO THAT A MERCIFUL JUDGEMENT MAY BE WROUGHT UPON YOU AT THE LAST DAY] yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people [HEARKEN, TOM] from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.

Why do you say "listen together," instead of just "listen"?

IT DENOTES MORE OF A GLOBAL LISTEN. I AM INVITING THE WHOLE WORLD TO LISTEN.

LET'S CONTINUE =)

For verily the voice of the Lord [sTILL, SMALL, QUIET, PEACEFUL] is unto all men, [iS UNTO YOU, TOM] and there is none to escape; [THE WORD ESCAPE HERE REFERS TO THE FACT THAT THE LIGHT OF CHRIST FILLS THE IMMENSITY OF SPACE, IT IS IN AND THROUGH ALL THINGS - THERE IS NONE TO ESCAPE] and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated.

"EYES SEEING" - SEEING MY HAND IN YOUR LIFE

"EARS HEARING" - HEARING MY VOICE"HEARTS PENETRATED" - THINK BROKEN HEART AND CONTRITE SPIRIT -- THE CONVERSION PROCESS.

I need to go =/

I KNOW.

I LOVE YOU, TOM.

AND I HAVE LOVED SPEAKING WITH YOU THIS MORNING. =)

NOW GO. =)

STAY CLOSE TO ME TODAY. =)

============

The above is not a joke or a gimmick. It is an example of my sincere desire to connect with my Jesus, and to record what I feel are His words to me. I try not to doubt or worry that I am just "making all of this up." I just try to have faith in His words and in what I feel.

This is how you can "get more out of" your Book of Mormon reading the next time you do so. :)

This process has blessed my life significantly! I feel closer to Jesus now than I have the previous 38 years of my life -- no question about that.

It takes time and patience. Be patient with this method of keeping a journal. It will bear precious fruit, I promise!

What would I have to gain out of reading the Book Of Mormon? When I did read it I never got anything out of it. I read, and prayed but yet never felt that "spirit".

For you...you may have to look at the D&C and Pearl of Great Price. What I did, I prayed as Joseph did to receive the same answer for my conversion. :D

The Book of Mormon has always been an inspiration for me. But not until recently have I been studying it and pondering it so that I may learn more from it and so that the Lord can teach in a way that I need to be taught. Where if I ask the right questions, the Lord will answer in certain ways. In ways that are most suited to what we need at the time, depending on what circumstances we are in. I dont just read The Book of Mormon to read it, I read it to know and learn from it so that I may apply it to my life and become closer to my Heavenly Father and my Savior.

The Spirit is constrained for many reasons. At times repentance and the desire to strengthen ones faith and develop a closer relationship with oiur Heavenly Father precedes a manifestation from the Holy Ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the book to be quite entertaining. It has some great stories in it, like Nephi dealing with Laban, or the wars and contentions, Teancum going into the enemy camp, etc.

The books says that we need to liken the scriptures to ourselves. This would be one way of getting involved. Now I am not saying that by likening it, you need to go slay your local govenment boss, put on his clothes and go ransack the county clerks office for genealogical records, taking the clerk with you to join you and your brothers out in the wilderness.

I am sure you're not involved in much political intrigue or assassination attempts for the governorship or the land either.

So some of the stuff you probably won't get much out of other than saying...'oh that's nice, someones head just got scalped.' but, as far as listening to the teachings of Jesus and following his commandments, we can avoid a lot of pain and misery in our lives.

The main purpose of the book is to testify that Jesus is the Christ and that he loves all his children, including you. If it helps you feel that, then it's served it's purpose

I am a non-LDS member. I have the Book of Mormon as well as Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price.

-any suggestions on a good commentary to explain more of what I am reading?

-Like reading Sacred Scripture/The Bible -I find reading the Book of Mormon to be difficult to read at times. -and a good basic commentary would be a great help.

It is very interesting-but entirely new to me.

Thank You

-Carol

Thank You so very much! -The link is great-and almost everything organized and in .PDF file!-Wonderful--Thank You!

Being a convert to the church, I would suggest to start with this link, which provides electronic copies of each standard work material in manual form from the church. They will provide enough information to quiz either the Holy Ghost in prayer or missionaries.

Institute Student Manuals

• 2 months later...

I sincerly feel for you. I am not mocking you or down talking you. I just feel bad that you did not get anything from it.

Maybe try reading it again, slower taking time to really ponder the message. I got a lot from reading it, and know you will too if you take a different approach.

Good luck!:)

I am a non-LDS member. I have the Book of Mormon as well as Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price.

-any suggestions on a good commentary to explain more of what I am reading?

-Like reading Sacred Scripture/The Bible -I find reading the Book of Mormon to be difficult to read at times. -and a good basic commentary would be a great help.

It is very interesting-but entirely new to me.

Thank You

-Carol

We are all here on this site also if you have any questions about what you are reading.

Good luck and God Bless.:)

• 3 months later...
Guest Brigham_boner_young
Hidden

JS told me he wrote the book whilst banging some hoes and drinkng some cognac! Enjoy the tale we got sum more for ya mormos!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 Nephi 3

1. [12] Wherefore, the fruit of thy loins shall write; and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Book of Mormon is a mighty book as is the Bible. I love the words of the Lord and I try to read at least 15 verses out of the Book of Mormon everyday. That may not seem like much but in one year you will read 5,475 verses out of the book if you do it everyday.

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> It reads this in I Nephi chapter 22 verses 11-12:

11 Wherefore, the Lord God will proceed to make bare his arm in the eyes of all the nations, in bringing about his covenants and his gospel unto those who are of the house of Israel.

12 Wherefore, he will bring them again out of captivity, and they shall be gathered together to the lands of their inheritance; and they shall be brought out of obscurity and out of darkness; and they shall know that the Lord is their Savior and their Redeemer, the Mighty One of Israel.

The Book of Mormon and Bible are a way the Lord has shown his arm in these days. Those who choose to follow the words of these books shall be brought out of obscurity and out of darkness.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest susanlancy
Hidden

I've loved Bones since season 1,This series is just one simple word: fabulous! This is all I can hope. It is interesting crimes, wonderful humor, charm and wonderful cast and, of course, two wonderful lead, which is one of the best male / female chemistry ever grace the small screen. They simply forces the viewer to enjoy, as they weave on the road to personal and loving relationship through opportunities for crime solving. If two people ever were made for each other, must be Booth and Brennan.

Season 4 brings perhaps the most eccentric and a light year of the series, however, since it starts in the pond with the fabulous duo in Britain earlier in the laboratory by the incomparable Zack replaced by a series of fun and quirky assistants laboratory. Season 4, we present Booth's brother who comes to throwing sticks in your personal life and, possibly, help grow even closer to his genius maddening logic of a partner. Brennan and Booth father son appearances and the gravedigger of the season two also made a return appearance. Last season of six episodes are just mind blowingly good as we see Booth and Brennan are getting closer, and even consider a baby together! purchase of a well-written, funny, hilarious and superbly acted series on DVD is not rocket science. Get your copy because you do not borrow mine!

True Blood DVD 1-2

James Bond DVD

The Office DVD 1-6

Bones DVD 1-5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...