Read The Book of Mormon in the home and as a family

Help me out here, but I heard it was said that if you read the scriptures daily as a family, your children would never go astray? I'm probably way off on that one.

I'm not sure who's quote that was, but I do know that whoever said it was pretty accurate. I'm a single Mother of 5 (kids) who realized pretty quickly that my children needed all the help they could get to get by in this life. My children weren't always excepted in their quorums or young womens classes so they began to run with the tough crowd of kids. When Pres. Benson challenged the members of the church to read the B of M with their families on a regular basis, I took that challenge very seriously.

As a result every one of my grown children have stayed active in the church and have Temple Marriages. My youngest is planning to go on a Mission in a few years. Without the blessing of reading the B of M every night with my children I'm very sure they wouldn't have stayed close to the church.

Crispy^_^

Mykdiver,

I always had my kids read one chapter with me every night. As we went around the room, each of us read 3 versus at a time. That way they had to pay attention to keep up with the reading. It went pretty quickly and in the end it helped the kids with their reading, phonics, enunciation and reading comprehension.

My grandson comes from a family with not much religion... as my son today sat by the table in order to eat, i was int eh kitchen and other son had not come yet, my grandson came there too and my son began to eat ... my grandson said: HEY did we forget something ... and he crossed his fingers.... and my son hold the prayer...:D

It is great to see that your example really brings fruit!

• 1 month later...

I grew up in the Military family. We always have scriptures, even when my father is faraway on his assignments. We also had family home eveing too.

I'm so great ful for the example of my mother, and my father.

My brothers and I are active in the church.

I'm married now, and have a duaghter. She reminds my wife, and I about scripture reading.

I take my scriptures to work at nights. It keeps my company at work, especially when I'm only LDS at work.

Take Care,

Jared

Omaha

We almost always read the Book of Mormon and say prayers before we go to bed. It seems like a part of our evening routine and when we miss this vital part, we don't feel that we can go to bed. Our family has had problems, but because we all have a love of the scriptures, we have a common bond and we feel unity when we are together for scriptures and prayers.

• 9 months later...

In Dyer and Kunz’s study of effective Mormon families (Effective Mormon Families), they found that only 28 percent of effective Mormon families read their scriptures regularly. Eder Gene R. Cook has estimated from traveling as a General Authority that only 10 to 15 percent of Church members read the scriptures together as families.

See Raising Up a Family to the Lord, p. 110

A recent study conducted by the Church has forcefully confirmed statistically what we have been told again and again. That is, if loving, inspired instruction and example are not provided at home, then our related efforts for success in and around Church programs are severely limited. It is increasingly clear that we must teach the gospel to our families personally, live those teachings in our homes, or run the risk of discovering too late that a Primary teacher or priesthood adviser or seminary instructor could not do for our children what we would not do for them.

Jeffrey R. Holland, “Within the Clasp of Your Arms,” Ensign, May 1983, p. 36

Presently the Book of Mormon is studied in our Sunday School and seminary classes every fourth year. This four-year pattern, however, must not be followed by Church members in their personal study of the standard works. All scripture is not of equal value.

Ezra Taft Benson, A Witness and a Warning, p. vii

True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than the study of behavior will improve behavior.

Boyd K. Packer, Conference Report, October, 1986, p. 20

I have a vision of homes alerted, of classes alive, and of pulpits aflame with the spirit of Book of Mormon messages. I have a vision of home teachers and visiting teachers, ward and branch officers, and stake and mission leaders counseling our people out of the most correct of any book on earth—the Book of Mormon. I have a vision of artists putting into film, drama, literature, music, and paintings great themes and great characters from the Book of Mormon. I have a vision of thousands of missionaries going into the mission field with hundreds of passages memorized from the Book of Mormon so that they might feed the needs of a spiritually famished world. I have a vision of the whole Church getting nearer to God by abiding by the precepts of the Book of Mormon. Indeed, I have a vision of flooding the earth with the Book of Mormon.

Ezra Taft Benson, Flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon, 1988, 4-5

I need to say this as clearly as possible so there is no misunderstanding. The Book of Mormon is the Keystone of the LDS Church, and to the Gospel, without it, people won’t have a true understanding of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Now having said that, I feel that the Church over-states the need to read the Book of Mormon, while saying almost nothing about reading the other scriptures.

“The first five books of the Old Testament lay the foundation on which the rest of scripture stands. Its great themes, epochal events and towering figures set down vectors on which the biblical story is played out. The very shape of the rest of the Old Testament would collapse were the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Old Testament) to be removed. The structure of the New Testament thought would be barely intelligible without it.” Quoted from a review of ‘Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch'.

I would also add that the Book of Mormon would be barely intelligible without it as well. I agree with President Benson that all scripture are not of equal value, but that should mean that we should totally ignore the other scriptures ether.

I over-heard a member say that someone told him to read the Book of Mormon, so he stopped reading the Old Testament and started reading the Book of Mormon, I had to bite my tongue to not say, ’don’t do that, you can read both at the same time.’

‘An indispensable foundation’ by George A. Horton Jr. in the Ensign March 2002, is a great LDS article that shows the connections of the Old Testament to the New Testament, to the Book of Mormon, and even to the Doctrine and Covenants.

• 2 months later...

Yes it was to you Pam. My point is that, yes we are encouraged to read the scripture being taught in the Gospel Doctrine class, yet, beyond special occasions, like in 1979, when the LDS version of the Bible came out, did the Prophet, or really any of the Apostles, said to read any other scripture than the Book of Mormon.

I just did a little search of lds.org and found article after article that suggest that we read and study the scriptures. Most make reference to the Bible, both Old and New Testament, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. There are many more articles that refer to Scriptures than refer to Book of Mormon. Here is one that I tracked and there are many more.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Feasting upon the Scriptures

I know many people who study not only their scriptures but other books that help them to grasp what it was like during the times they were written and to better understand what things were referenced to. An example: The call to the wedding and the wise and foolish virgins.

Study the Scriptures means all of the canonized scriptures we follow.

Ben Raines

Yes it was to you Pam. My point is that, yes we are encouraged to read the scripture being taught in the Gospel Doctrine class, yet, beyond special occasions, like in 1979, when the LDS version of the Bible came out, did the Prophet, or really any of the Apostles, said to read any other scripture than the Book of Mormon.

I'm just really surprised this is being debated. Could you show me where any leader of the Church has said..other than the scriptures we are studying for the year we should only concentrate on the Book of Mormon? I think you would be hard pressed to find anything of the sort.

As Ben pointed out..we are taught to search the scriptures..to make them a part of our lives. I've never ever seen it taught or encouraged to do otherwise. When I hear our leaders say make scriptures a part of our every day lives..I never hear them say only the scriptures we are studying for the year and the Book of Mormon.

ray, what's your point? Is it that since President Hinckley challenged us to read the Book of Mormon within a time period, that you think the prophets should do the same with the Bible, D&C, and POGP?

I think that President Hinckley made the challenge to us to read the BoM because that book was written distinctly for us in our day. We know that we can draw nearer to God by studying the BoM.

That does not mean that the prophets ignore the other scriptures. It doesn't mean that they are inferior to the BoM. It doesn't mean we should only study the BoM and not study the other scriptures. God will not command us in all things--but He has been very clear on this--study the scriptures, ALL of them.

• 2 months later...

I want to chime in on this conversation because this message board sort of hits home for me. I am so passionate about Family scripture study. I also am passionate about teaching our children when they are young to value the scriptures and to understand them.

I was struggling with this exact issue about 5 years ago. As a mom of 4 (now 6) I was trying to figure out how to help my kids could learn to love the scriptures and have daily study at a young age. My problem was that with 4 kids I didn't know how to help them to do their personal study. We were doing it as a family but then to try to fit in 4 different scripture study sessions to help each one read became a nightmare. I finally came up with a solution and went to work. I felt like the Lord was guiding me so that "my solution" could also be a solution to millions of families around the world.

Now my children read their scriptures every day as a family and on their own. I regularly discuss with them what they learned from their daily study. Including my 3 year old.

My solution is here at Scriptures 4 Kids . I originally started putting it together for my children but now it is available to all kids. My favorite part of the site is the "question to ponder". Each day after my kids read they will come and discuss the story question with me. It really has done a ton to start thoughtful questions between me and my children.

I hope that there are others out there that will benefit and be blessed by all the work that our family went through to put this site together. My family has collectively made a goal to make daily scripture study a priority. I am sad to see that only 28% of families read daily. I only hope that our site Scriptures 4 Kids will allow children to learn to love the Book of Mormon at a very young age and that by doing so that % might go up someday. I really think that it needs to go up if we are going to be able to successfully fight the battles that are ahead of us in the world that we live in.

I think that daily Scripture Study of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and the Bible will make all the difference in our children's lives. I hope that Scriptures 4 Kids will in some way help children learn the principle of daily scripture study and that the questions to ponder will teach children how to apply the scriptures to their lives.

Angela

Scriptures 4 Kids

• 6 months later...
Guest susanlancy
Hidden

As a James Bond fan, I've owned movies on DVD.This series is a good series, I'm really a nice job restoring these films should be HD. Nice is full of extras in full menus. The only drawback is the packaging and this applies to all levels, not only that. Come from this book and a device which keeps disks in place, these buttons are only small foam glued to the package. Are really inconsistent, and one must be careful to take the disc out, because once I got the button completely. I do not know why he had to go so unique and could not simply put them in closets, as most DVDs do not.

As for the film itself, it is one of the classic James Bond films and will remain so for all time. The tone of the series would be altered slightly from what director Terence Young had established in DR. NO and in this film. The next film, GOLDFINGER directed by Guy Hamilton, would retain the style established by Terence Young yet he would refine the character of James Bond with a more tongue-in-cheek approach. In FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE James Bond is the dedicated civil servant with a licence to kill and he uses it in the assassination of Krilencu (Fred Haggerty) just as coldly and objectively as he had eliminated Professor Dent (Anthony Dawson) in DR. NO. For these reasons I believe there are two distinct camps in the ranks of Bond loyalists. One prefers the style or more specifically the portrayal of James Bond found in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, while the other faction favors that established in GOLDFINGER. The James Bond found in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is a much tougher fellow not to be seen again until ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE and LICENCE TO KILL.

True Blood DVD 1-2

James Bond DVD

The Office DVD 1-6

Bones DVD 1-5

• 4 months later...
Guest danialclarcke
Hidden

I have a friend who works for the church and they told me earlier that the church had just completed a study on the things they most effective families all have in common. This was an extremely important study because it was discovered that there seems to be a critical mass of funds to be successful. In essence, there is a minimum number of families effectively, acting leaven to raise the rest of the congregation. Anyway these brave and powerful families in support of business, sample, and strong.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I have a friend who works for the church and she told me earlier that the church just completed a study on the fact that the most powerful families all have in common. It is a very important study because it was discovered that it looks as if a critical mass of resources to succeed. Actually there is a minimum number of families effectively, acting yeast and the rest of the community to gather. In any case, this brave and strong families in support of business, sample, and strong.

Edited by rickysmartin
  • 1 year later...

I have a hard time reading the same books over and over again, including the scriptures. So I've found different ways of reading the Book of Mormon. I'm currently reading the "Reader's Edition," edited by Grant Hardy. It is exactly the same text, but reads like a contemporary novel. Somehow it is much easier on the brain to read and enjoy when it's reformatted that way. And by the way, just the introduction is worth the price of the book.