A Better Understanding of our Relationship to Christ

omega0401

I would like to highly recommend this book. It’s called Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. It is a 125 page easy, quick read. The book can even be found on Amazon.com if you don’t have an LDS book store near by.

Don’t let the simple title of this book fool you as it did me. My wife read it several times and always suggested that I read it. I didn’t, thinking that I had heard those lessons before and it was too basic. But I finally read it and realized that I hadn’t heard it before. I learned things about Christ in a way that I haven’t heard of in church. I knew what my relationship to Christ was before but after reading this book it is so much deeper and so much more appreciative. I marked up almost every page.

The book is not about believing “in” Christ. It assumes you already do. But about believing in what He says He can and will do for us; in His ability and in His power. It teaches you what our relationship to Christ really is and how grace and works fit into the picture. Brother Robinson writes in a simple and understandable way using his own experiences and references to scriptures.

I have learned much by reading books like Jesus the Christ by Talmage, The Infinite Atonement by Callister, Miracle of Forgiveness by Kimball. But as far as my personal relationship with Christ, this book does what no other book has done. I would even feel comfortable sharing it with non members and they will have the added benefit of how Mormons really feel about Jesus Christ.

I liked, what I have called, The Parable of the Weightlifter regarding our endurance to the end. And I liked what he said in the whole section on vicarious suffering. Here are some other things he shares with us....

“I’ve heard people say, ‘How can I come back to church, or pray, or approach God after what I’ve done? I’ve sunk too low; I’ve put myself beyond his reach. I’m too vile to save.’ “ He then goes on to explain how this person can come back.

And this example...several years ago, as I read Matthew 11:28-30, about Jesus’ yoke being easy and his burden being light, to a New Testament class, a female student at the back of the class interrupted me with a loud “Ha!” When I invited her to explain what she meant by her outburst, she said, “His yoke is easy? His burden is light? Anyone in this church who believes that is either a recent convert or brain-dead.” This sister was a divorced mother of several children who was back in school trying to get a better life for herself and her family. She continued: “I used to try to do and be everything that the church wanted, but I finally had to give up. They always wanted more than I had....”

What would you say to her? What would brother Robinson say? He also discusses how his wife faced the I-can’t-do-it-all dilemma and how he helped her through it.

It is an uplifting and a very encouraging book that I think all would benefit from reading it.

If anyone has read his follow-up book, Following Christ, I would like to read your comments about it.

Guest tomk

I own both books and I have read them through several times.

Following Christ deals more with the "day to day" practical living of the Gospel. In all sincerity, if you enjoyed the conversational tone and no-nonsense uplifting spirit that accompanies the reader of "Believing Christ" -- you will positively LOVE Following Christ. It is more of the same -- but addresses the "Works" aspect, as opposed to the "Faith" aspect that Believing Christ focused on.

The back cover reads like this:

"In 1992, Stephen E. Robinson published his groundbreaking book Believing Christ, which has become a classic in understanding what it means to have faith in Jesus Christ and to be justified by faith in him through the gospel coventant.

Now, in Following Christ, Brother Robinson explains what happens after we have entered the gospel covenant. In the same clear, readable style of his previous book, Brother Robinson explains what it means to be a member of Christ's kingdom, the relationship between faith and works, what it means to endure to the end (it does not mean "being perfect"), the nature of mortality, hazards we may encounter as we seek to endure in the Lord's service, and finally, the importance of serving others in love.

Brother Robinson writes, "For those who have been born again, the critical question is not one of getting into the kingdom but of staying in the kingdom - of enduring to the end. For we must choose on an ongoing basis to remain, and that choice must be reflected in what we love and in what we seek. that is why enduring to end is the fifth principle of the gospel. Daily, our question shouldn't be "Have I made it to the kingdom yet? but rather, "Do I still want to stay?"

== end of back cover material ==

Quite simply -- the book is excellent. It is everything it claims. It contains, I think, one of THE clearest explanations of faith and works I have ever laid eyes upon. It explains how they work together. Indeed, they have always been ONE. It is the world that has attempted to impose a "false dichotomy" upon faith and works -- pitting them against each other instead of striving to understand how they work together and how they compliment each other. BOTH are needed. Brother Robinson refers to CS Lewis who said, "Faith and Works are like two blades of the same pair of scissors. Both are needed to get the job done."

For a list of some othe excellent books I've read and highly recommend, see my blog: Not Left Comfortless: Books I've Read

I would like to highly recommend this book. It’s called Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. It is a 125 page easy, quick read. The book can even be found on Amazon.com if you don’t have an LDS book store near by.

Don’t let the simple title of this book fool you as it did me. My wife read it several times and always suggested that I read it. I didn’t, thinking that I had heard those lessons before and it was too basic. But I finally read it and realized that I hadn’t heard it before. I learned things about Christ in a way that I haven’t heard of in church. I knew what my relationship to Christ was before but after reading this book it is so much deeper and so much more appreciative. I marked up almost every page.

The book is not about believing “in” Christ. It assumes you already do. But about believing in what He says He can and will do for us; in His ability and in His power. It teaches you what our relationship to Christ really is and how grace and works fit into the picture. Brother Robinson writes in a simple and understandable way using his own experiences and references to scriptures.

I have learned much by reading books like Jesus the Christ by Talmage, The Infinite Atonement by Callister, Miracle of Forgiveness by Kimball. But as far as my personal relationship with Christ, this book does what no other book has done. I would even feel comfortable sharing it with non members and they will have the added benefit of how Mormons really feel about Jesus Christ.

I liked, what I have called, The Parable of the Weightlifter regarding our endurance to the end. And I liked what he said in the whole section on vicarious suffering. Here are some other things he shares with us....

“I’ve heard people say, ‘How can I come back to church, or pray, or approach God after what I’ve done? I’ve sunk too low; I’ve put myself beyond his reach. I’m too vile to save.’ “ He then goes on to explain how this person can come back.

And this example...several years ago, as I read Matthew 11:28-30, about Jesus’ yoke being easy and his burden being light, to a New Testament class, a female student at the back of the class interrupted me with a loud “Ha!” When I invited her to explain what she meant by her outburst, she said, “His yoke is easy? His burden is light? Anyone in this church who believes that is either a recent convert or brain-dead.” This sister was a divorced mother of several children who was back in school trying to get a better life for herself and her family. She continued: “I used to try to do and be everything that the church wanted, but I finally had to give up. They always wanted more than I had....”

What would you say to her? What would brother Robinson say? He also discusses how his wife faced the I-can’t-do-it-all dilemma and how he helped her through it.

It is an uplifting and a very encouraging book that I think all would benefit from reading it.

If anyone has read his follow-up book, Following Christ, I would like to read your comments about it.

I am interesting if you can add the parable of the Weightlifter....:D

I am interesting if you can add the parable of the Weightlifter....:D

Hi Hemi,

I don’t mind posting the parable but I don’t want to infringe on any copyrighted material. Notice that the quotes I did make in my post are not complete for the same reason. But I think anyone who reads the book will gain much information from it.

If you already have the book or can borrow one, I can post the page number where the parable can be found. I don’t have the book with me right now to do that. Brother Robinson doesn’t give it a name but The Parable of the Weightlifter is what I like to call it.

Guest tomk
Hidden

For those who believe in D&C 93:1 -- who wish to receive such while mortal -- what books bring more light to the topic?

For a list of books I've already read, see this page in my Blog:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

I’ve been waiting for a while to see if more people will make comments about Following Christ but it looks like you’re the only one who’s read it. Thank you for replying back.

I like Brother Robinson’s style of writing with good analogies. I like to read about faith and works so I think I’ll get the book and read it. I think it will come in handy when I meet anyone who may be born again.

I read your book list. One book that we share is The Infinite Atonement. I enjoyed it immensely. It is the best book I’ve read about the Atonement but then I haven’t read them all but I can't imagine anyone else writing a better book on such a sacred topic.

I haven’t read The Peacegiver which I also heard was a very good book.

Another book I’d recommend is a book called Fire in the Bones. It’s about William Tynsdale and how the bible got translated into English. It gives one a great appreciate for all that they had to endure and not just torture but losing their own lives. I would even say he was preordained to the do this work. You can almost feel the hand of the Lord in getting this work done and in preparing for the restoration.

Ah, so many books, too little time.

Thanks for your post.

Guest tomk

Hi Tom,

I’ve been waiting for a while to see if more people will make comments about Following Christ but it looks like you’re the only one who’s read it. Thank you for replying back.

I like Brother Robinson’s style of writing with good analogies. I like to read about faith and works so I think I’ll get the book and read it. I think it will come in handy when I meet anyone who may be born again.

I read your book list. One book that we share is The Infinite Atonement. I enjoyed it immensely. It is the best book I’ve read about the Atonement but then I haven’t read them all but I can't imagine anyone else writing a better book on such a sacred topic.

I haven’t read The Peacegiver which I also heard was a very good book.

Another book I’d recommend is a book called Fire in the Bones. It’s about William Tynsdale and how the bible got translated into English. It gives one a great appreciate for all that they had to endure and not just torture but losing their own lives. I would even say he was preordained to the do this work. You can almost feel the hand of the Lord in getting this work done and in preparing for the restoration.

Ah, so many books, too little time.

Thanks for your post.

Perhaps in the eternities we'll get to read them.

My interests lie in the following:

Personal Revelation

Holy Ghost

Jesus Christ

Atonement

Second Comforter

I don't read much outside of that.

If you want a really good book on the Atonement, try this one (also in my reading list):

Amazon.com: The Atonement of Jesus Christ: A study of the saving atonement of Jesus Christ: Kevan Kingsley Clawson: Books

You don't have to AGREE with it, but read it at least once. It will open your eyes.

Also:

Amazon.com: Obtaining Your Calling & Election: Kevan Kingsley Clawson, Terri Hopkins Clawson, John Hopkins, Jaime Clawson: Books

It will explain to you, for the first time, how Faith, Hope and Charity are linked and how actual Charity is defined and accomplished (through personal revelation).

Perhaps in the eternities we'll get to read them.

My interests lie in the following:

Personal Revelation

Holy Ghost

Jesus Christ

Atonement

Second Comforter

I don't read much outside of that.

If you want a really good book on the Atonement, try this one (also in my reading list):

Amazon.com: The Atonement of Jesus Christ: A study of the saving atonement of Jesus Christ: Kevan Kingsley Clawson: Books

You don't have to AGREE with it, but read it at least once. It will open your eyes.

Also:

Amazon.com: Obtaining Your Calling & Election: Kevan Kingsley Clawson, Terri Hopkins Clawson, John Hopkins, Jaime Clawson: Books

It will explain to you, for the first time, how Faith, Hope and Charity are linked and how actual Charity is defined and accomplished (through personal revelation).

I like your interest list. It is right on. We need each and every one of those in our lives.

I haven’t heard of Kingsley’s book but I assume he’s LDS too. Your comment about not having to AGREE with it was an interesting comment. It leaves me wondering what part I might not agree with or maybe all of it.

How does this book compare to the one we both have read, The Infinite Atonement? Which book gave you the most meaning? I know it’s sometimes it’s hard to compare books or even remember details from a book you may not have read in some time.

• 3 years later...