Bridging the Mormon/Evangelical Divide

ama49

ama:

I like your website. I think I disagree with your idea of a One-true Church. I agree that the LDS church is the only true-church on the earth today, but I do not think you work hard enough to explain that the LDS position is not exclusionary. Many people will be saved through the Atonement regardless of their physical membership in the church. I do believe they will need ordinances performed for them once dead, but my Jewish great-greats will most likely make it and having their work performed for them (it is already, they didn't die during the holocaust so no one protested the work being done). People will be judged for the works, actions, beliefs according to the Grace of G-d regardless of physical membership in any church.

One of the hardest things many of my no-mo friends have is the concept that only the mo-mos will make it, which of course is silly. My landlord is in his bishopric, but that does not stop him from being a slumlord who never follows through with promises and ignores the needs of his tenants. The members of the church who will make it are those who have deserted their "mormonism" and have completely committed to being a Latter-day Saint ignoring all cultural attachments.

Guest Xzain

ama49-

Very good job! I especially like the multiple links to outside sources, such as the scriptures. I think you have hit many of the key points- heck, from my meager understanding of the situation you touched on all of them!

One comment- this may an idiosyncratic feeling, but I think it adds a little to the confusion of the 'Mormons vs. Christians' issue by referring to all non-LDS Christians as 'Christians' and all LDS Christians as 'Mormons'. I understand the difficulty in writing a short blog; maybe you could add a disclaimer saying that when you say 'Christians' you mean 'mainstream Christians'?

All in all, very good job! Two thumbs up, my friend.

I took a cursory glance, and as one of the evangelicals on this site, let me add my kudos for tackling this sensitive subject. Blowhards on both sides are likely to send fire your way, and your exercise leaves room for misunderstanding by the purist/ideologues on both sides.

The one theme that runs throughout your site is the need to emphasize areas of communion, and avoid discussions of our differences. Perhaps this is the sad reality of post modern society. I yearn for a place where polite, respectful, yet frank discussion, and even debate, is seen as a sign of fervent spirituality and love. To put it more simply, if I am wrong, I hope you (y'all) love me enough to tell me--even if you're afraid I might get upset. On the other hand, the practice today is to let people carry on in their ignorance for fear of offending them. sigh.

And please...again...I love the site...and believe you have approached it as you probably need to in today's reality. So, blessings to you.

Guest Xzain

I wholeheartedly agree with PrisonChaplain- it is a most excellent book. I thought the title of your blog entry was a reference to that book; I'm somewhat surprised you haven't read it yet.

I also add my testimonial to the value of 'How Wide the Divide', and encourage all to read it.

I wrote a post on my website about ways Mormons and Evangelicals can get along. I'd love to hear your feedback on my site.

Check it out at:

Grace for Grace

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Your site links to the story of the Southern Baptist minister who accepts the Book of Mormon. As I recall, he posted here (actually LDStalk, the forerunner of LDS.net) for a while a couple years ago.

Well done. Anything done to bridge the gap is well worth it. When Mitt Romney was running for president I couldn't believe the things I saw on political blogs that became more platforms to say why Mormons aren't Christians. People on both sides need to be more open-minded and learn about each other and your site helps do exactly that. Thanks.

JBS, Robinson (BYU) and Blomberg (Denver Seminary)...excellent book.

I keep my copy right behind me, within reach, in my library selves. I find myself referring to it, at least as often as any other book in my library.

I've given it a gift and others have enjoyed it as much as I.

Right now I am reading The New Mormon Challenge. It's not meant to bridge the divide but and least it is a responsible evangelical interaction with LDS scholarship.

I keep my copy right behind me, within reach, in my library selves. I find myself referring to it, at least as often as any other book in my library.

I've given it a gift and others have enjoyed it as much as I.

Right now I am reading The New Mormon Challenge. It's not meant to bridge the divide but and least it is a responsible evangelical interaction with LDS scholarship.

You may remember who clued me in on the Divide book. :D I have The New Mormon Challenge, and have read a couple chapters. The tone alone is a huge plus. Some of the LDS reviews of it on Amazon are less appreciative, but for those curious about the more intelligent evangelical disagreements with LDS theology, it's probably the best book out there.

It is very well put together and the tone is not as strident as some of the past standard anti-Mormon lit. The arguments are not new. They have been revised for 21st century "verbal fencing" as my grandmother just to call it. There is nothing new there.

Look, for the Eastern and Greek Orthodox churches we are ALL (Christians) apostates and they have volumes to "prove" it. The same holds true for the RCC. Our Hebrew brothers have learned to love us as their slightly deranged cousins and the rest of the world wants to either exterminate the Christians or lock us up in the insane house.

Theological arguments may persuade some that we are wrong but the Spirit of God will convert many more. Our claim to the Kingdom of God is not based on the analysis of theologian but on the scriptures, testimonies and the revelation of this dispensation by the hand of the Savior. It is as simple as that.

Just my thoughts.

Although the official Roman Catholic and Orthodox positions as well as many other Christian statements of faith-may limit the term of "Christian Church" to those that believe in the Trinity-I do not hold such a view. I am a Roman Catholic. Many individual Christians of many faith traditions-including myself do indeed believe that Latter Day Saints are Christians and that the LDS Church is a Christian Church.

We may have our differences in faith-but I believe LDS members are indeed Christians.

The theological concept of "Trinity" which most Christians adhere to has been debated for hundreds of years in the early history of Christianity. It is still debated today by many Christians.

Let us continue to focus on where we agree-and there is so much we agree upon.

I am glad to see that the LDS Church and its members are working with other churches in areas of social concern-to name one area.

My readings and seeing many of his messages on BYU -TV of the late Gordon B. Hinckley--showed a man full of the true spirit of love in his words and actions as related to other Christians.

His message on the "Be-Attitudes" was especially wonderful!

One could feel the light and love of God radiate from him.

God bless each and everyone of you!

It is very well put together and the tone is not as strident as some of the past standard anti-Mormon lit. The arguments are not new. They have been revised for 21st century "verbal fencing" as my grandmother just to call it. There is nothing new there.

Look, for the Eastern and Greek Orthodox churches we are ALL (Christians) apostates and they have volumes to "prove" it. The same holds true for the RCC. Our Hebrew brothers have learned to love us as their slightly deranged cousins and the rest of the world wants to either exterminate the Christians or lock us up in the insane house.

Theological arguments may persuade some that we are wrong but the Spirit of God will convert many more. Our claim to the Kingdom of God is not based on the analysis of theologian but on the scriptures, testimonies and the revelation of this dispensation by the hand of the Savior. It is as simple as that.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by abqfriend