Institute classes

I've got to ask, why do so many people think that institute is only for single people?

I love institute and go when I can, which isn't often right now, sadly. I find it edifying. However, I am married, and once in a while there will be someone else in the day time classes who are married (more variety at night).

Just curious.

I've got to ask, why do so many people think that institute is only for single people?

I love institute and go when I can, which isn't often right now, sadly. I find it edifying. However, I am married, and once in a while there will be someone else in the day time classes who are married (more variety at night).

Just curious.

I have often wondered why the thinking is geared that way myself.....Institute is a great class....anyone should and could enroll...

Thanks for the information Hemi and Aphrodite.

It appears that classes during term time are held at 8am on Tuesdays, in Preston, for our stake..It would mean travelling very early in the morning for me to arrive there on time, but could be an interesting way to pass the day, and I would like to attend formal classes where I can study the Scriptures in more detail, it would be more motivation for me to study..

I will ask the Bishop about it on Sunday, as suggested.

Thanks for the information Hemi and Aphrodite.

It appears that classes during term time are held at 8am on Tuesdays, in Preston, for our stake..It would mean travelling very early in the morning for me to arrive there on time, but could be an interesting way to pass the day, and I would like to attend formal classes where I can study the Scriptures in more detail, it would be more motivation for me to study..

I will ask the Bishop about it on Sunday, as suggested.

Pushka...if its not real easy for you to make those classes...see if you can get the books and study on your own....the books alone are awesome and a nice book to have.

In my ward, it is typically limited to 18 to 31.. older folks have to get permission from the bishop. I wish it weren't so, because I like it when the older folks come, they add more to the discussions than folks my age do, LOL!

Pale, I think I saw the manuals in the Church Distribution Centre a few weeks ago, I will see what information I get back from the person in charge of the programme in our Stake, and will consider buying the manuals if I'm either too old to attend or if the classes are too far out for me to attend..I've since heard that they run a class at the Stake centre itself on a Thursday evening, so possibly there will be local members attending there who I could travel with.

In my ward, it is typically limited to 18 to 31.. older folks have to get permission from the bishop. I wish it weren't so, because I like it when the older folks come, they add more to the discussions than folks my age do, LOL!

Seriuosly? I've never heard that before. I wonder if they had problems with older folk acting inappropriately towards the YSA. . . I know there are age limits for YSA Wards for such reasons. . .

I've noticed that during the day there are more college students and college students tend to be YSA. At night though it ranges from YSA to married to old.

During the day they also promoted YSA activities, which I never went to due to my being married and all. ;)

You're never too old to go to college, so how can you be too old for institute?

I don't mind being married and a Mom and older than the average college student. Heck, I've seen people old enough to be my Mom taking classes!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new guy here. But I was reading through the forums & came across this discussion. There have definitely been some interesting responses. Unfortunately, most of them are a little off, and I thought I would put in my two cents, and try to clear up some confusion.

This is what the Church Handbook of Instructions has to say on the Institute of Religion program. (When I was the Institute President/YSA Rep for my Stake, my High Council rep gave me copies of the parts that were relevant to me.)

Institutes of Religion provide weekday religious instruction for all young single adults and married college students 18 through 30. Independent study classes are also available.

Institutes of Religion are established under the direction of CES in selected locations adjacent to colleges and universities where sufficient numbers of Church members are enrolled. Institute classes may also be organized away from college campuses at the stake or multistake level, making it easier for nonstudent young single adults to participate.

So, according to the rules, you have to be single (either never married or legally divorced, not separated) and between the ages of 18 and 30. But, I have never seen anyone turned away from an Institute class because they were married or too old. But, then again, I live in a somewhat rural area, so maybe it's different out here.

Usually, for the "non-Young" Single Adults, there are separate programs for them, including Scripture Study, Dances, Conferences, etc. In that group, there is no age limit, as long as you're above the age of 30.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I cleared up some questions about the Institute program!

So, according to the rules, you have to be single (either never married or legally divorced, not separated) and between the ages of 18 and 30

This is what the Church Handbook of Instructions has to say on the Institute of Religion program. (When I was the Institute President/YSA Rep for my Stake, my High Council rep gave me copies of the parts that were relevant to me.)

Institutes of Religion provide weekday religious instruction for all young single adults and married college students

Maybe I'm missing something,(which is quite likely ;)) but it does say married...:confused: