The word "Mormon"

the Ogre

On my mission, I tracked into a gentleman who was so proud that his great grand daddy had shot a mormon. Oh well. I mean there are some out there that will see evil when they hear and use that word. They are statements and attitudes bred in ignorance. Perhaps they don't know any better.......perhaps they do. It seems to me though, that we can only meet any ignorance or persecution with love as much as we can and try to leave that person or group in peace.

I am sure his grand daddy is paying for his crimes at this time....:D

LDS Church News, 1990 - 'MORMON' NAME CAN BRING LUSTER, HONOR TO CHURCH"

Date: 10/13/90

It may not be possible to convert the world to using the full and correct name of the Church instead of using "Mormon," but the nickname can bring luster, honor and respect to the Church, President Gordon B. Hinckley said Sunday morning.

"Many of our people are disturbed by the practice of the media, and of many others, to disregard totally the true name of the Church and to use the nickname, 'the Mormon Church,' " said President Hinckley, first counselor in the First Presidency.

"Because of the shortness of the word Mormon and the ease with which it is spoken and written, they will continue to call us the Mormons, the Mormon Church and so forth. They could do worse."

A statement made by one of President Hinckley's associates while he was a missionary in England more than 50 years ago helped him appreciate the nickname. His friend told him that Mormon means more good.

"I knew, of course, that 'more good' was not a derivative of the word Mormon," President Hinckley explained. "But his was a positive attitude based on an interesting perception. And, as we all know, our lives are guided in large measure by our perceptions.

"After all, it is the name of a man who was a great prophet who struggled to save his nation, and also the name of a book which is a mighty testament of eternal truth, a veritable witness of the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Mormon was the chief compiler of the Book of Mormon, a book that has touched for good the lives of millions who have prayerfully read it and pondered its language, President Hinckley added.

"While I sometimes regret that people do not call this Church by its proper name, I am happy that the nickname they use is one of great honor made so by a remarkable man and a book which gives an unmatched testimony concerning the Redeemer of the world."

Anyone who comes to know the man Mormon by reading the history he helped preserved, "will come to know that Mormon is not a word of disrepute, but that it represents the greatest good, that good which is of God.

"All of this places upon us of this Church and this generation an incumbent and demanding responsibility to recognize that as we are spoken of as Mormons, we must so live that our example will enhance the perception that Mormon can mean in a very real way, more good.

"I regret that we as a people do not observe (the Word of Wisdom) more faithfully," he said. "But remarkable have been the blessings that have come of its observance to the degree that we have observed it."

President Hinckley spoke of a recently completed eight-year study at the UCLA School of Public Medicine, which found that Mormons are healthier and live longer compared to other groups.

"Can you doubt that the word Mormon, spoken in this context, means more good? It means, on average, a longer life. It means, on average, a life substantially more free of pain and misery. It means more happiness."

President Hinckley continued, "As with personal and public health, so also Mormon should mean more good in terms of family life.

"The strength of any community lies in the strength of its families. The strength of any nation lies in the strength of its families. Strong family life comes of strong and clear religious understanding of who we are, and why we are here, and of what we may eternally become.

"Strong family life comes of parents who love and respect one another, and who love and respect and nurture their children in the ways of the Lord.

"To the degree that we accomplish these Church-fostered goals Mormon means more good. It also means more of tolerance and mutual respect and helpfulness."

President Hinckley also spoke of respecting others regardless of race, religious denomination or other differences and gaining a love and appreciation and respect for all.

"How great a thing is charity, whether it be expressed through the giving of one's substance, the lending of one's strength to lift the burdens of others, or as an expression of kindness and appreciation.

"The people of this Church, the people of this so-called Mormon Church, have given generously of their resources to help those in need," he noted.

"And so I leave with you the simple but profound thought, 'Mormon means more good.' It can come to mean that to all who know us. It can bring luster, and honor, and respect to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We, you and I, can make it happen.

"May God grant us the strength and the discipline so to conduct our lives as to follow more nearly the matchless example of the Redeemer, of whom it was said, 'He went about doing good.'

"I testify that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that when people speak of us by the name of that book they will compliment us if we will live worthy of the name, remembering that in a very real sense Mormonism must mean that greater good which the Lord Jesus Christ exemplified."

• 3 weeks later...

You can look at what others perceive through the word, or you can look at how you perceive the word. Look at things yourself, not through the eyes of others. You are living your life and not the life of 55 other people in the world.(Thank goodness. Its hard enough living my own.)

I personally think that it would be a wonderful blessing that we are known as Mormon. That gives you the oportunity to set them straight and tell them who we really are, to tell them the truth. Then you can ask "Is there more you like to know. I know some men that can come around and tell you more of what we believe."(missionaries)

I should also mention that it doesn't matter, as such, to us. Look at the bottom of skalenfehl's posts in the light blue.:)

Well, I can tell you, as a non-member who has only recently come into more understanding (though not yet a great understanding, just more than before) of the LDS church that I simply didn't know better. Never meant to offend, never meant anything ill, just simply didn't know any different.

Since coming here a few ... weeks? Months? ago, I do say/use 'LDS' more, but usually in conjunction with 'Mormon', because, as stated (somewhere) earlier, it clears up confusion.

But just as a side note, it is much easier/quicker to say/type "Mormon" than "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". For that reason alone, "Mormon" will continue to be used, esp. by the media, until such a time that it becomes politically incorrect.

But just as a side note, it is much easier/quicker to say/type "Mormon" than "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". For that reason alone, "Mormon" will continue to be used, esp. by the media, until such a time that it becomes politically incorrect.

LDS is even shorter and much more accurate :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe because I am a convert and the term "Mormon" seems to me like a misnomer. It would be like being called a "Paulin" or "Johanite" on account of one of the Gospel writers. Or, even better, a "Jamesite" for the KJV.

I truly don't care much...Sadly, thre is a lot of negative stereotyping attached to it. It is subsiding, I think.

Edited by Islander

You have every right to ask to be called whatever you wish. I call those opposed to abortion "pro-life," and those who believe it should be available "pro-choice." I call blacks "African-Americans" and I've learned to refer to members of your church as LDS.

However, understand that many, when "corrected," about using the term "Mormon," will feel less comfortable. Fair or not, some will think, "Oh...these folks are kinda sensitive...must be careful."

Now, that might be fine. It might lead to greater respect. But, it could create a bit of distance. It's a call that the church seems to have already made, though individual members seem to have varying opinions on how much they want to stress the matter.

I work in the Lindon, Utah WalMart on State Street. Recently an assistant manager moved here from Texas. He and I have become pretty good friends. He asked me what are Mormons like. I told him that all the Mormons lived in Texas, wore weird clothing, and had more than one wife and all supported Texas Tech as the L-rd's University. He looked at me for a second and then he laughed. He thought that was pretty funny.

He thought we would be like the Amish or something. The conversation went well. He is a great guy and I hope the conversation gets better. There are plenty of dirty red-neck trailer-trash in the church and in Utah, so he should feel welcome.

I however did not tell him how much I hate the word Mormon. I have lived most of my life outside of Utah and hate how automatically that word generates a stereotype. Either it is like what my friend at WalMart thought or it is of the buttoned-down white accountant with seven-kids who votes Republican because we are told by church headquarters to do so.

This has always stuck with me as one of the flash-points for my membership. I absolutely despise the cliche-mormons out there (BTW: my Bishop knows, so don't bother narking on me--he's trying to marry me off, remember) and I hate how the media is currently using the word. It to me is as violent a word as any racial or ethnic slur known to man. It has been used against me in the military and in corporate USA (I worked for AMEX for several years in corporate communications) and yet I am told I am wrong for feeling that way because Elder McConkie says Latter-day Saints accept the term.

My response has always been along the lines of:

Who is he to dictate how I feel about anything?

Who is generalizing now?

That can't be right, that book was written over 40 years ago.

It's not doctrine anyway, read the inside cover--he says the whole book is his opinion.

However, I always remember how much I loved listening to him speak when I was a teen-ager no matter where I was in the world. I was deeply affected when he died and cried with my parents and siblings when we heard the news (Besides, he was a general authority and an apostle and I do love him).

I was able for a while to pass this sticking point, this paradox (and am still--the church is still and always will be true), but I refuse to see how this word can do anyone any good when all the world wants is to use it against us. The only people who seem to celebrate its use in the media are those nuts in the YFZ Ranch and down in Hildale/Colorado City. Ditch 'em I say.

It is a word that causes pain and is used to discriminate. I think it is time for the church to drop it completely except when referring to the BoM, the Prophet Mormon himself, and in publications dealing with scripture.

We should be past the need to use a word of hate to self-apply a type of identity that we no longer need. We should be able to discard this cultural-moniker and recognize what the name of our church is and enforce this with the media as they have stopped using these kinds of hateful, hurtful words for other religions and ethnic groups (in case you are not from Utah or California, Mormon is about the only way to describe the culture surrounding our religion whether pro or anti).

I hope with all my soul we as a church can completely exorcize this type of hate-speech and this word in particular from our own lips!

I am a Latter-day Saint and I am offended!

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin that said: Only a fool is offended by someone when no offense is intended but it is a bigger full that is offended when by the person that means it.

The Traveler