Why did people in the scriptures live so long?

Gatsby

Quote:

So, when you ask by what standard their days were lengthened, the answer may be that their mortal days were lengthened in comparison to an immediate partaking of the fruit of the tree of life.

That doesn't make sense, because if they had partaken of the fruit of the tree of life, they would have lived forever. Their mortal days cannot be lengthened longer than forever. Nothing is longer than forever.

The answer is simple. If Adam had partaken of the fruit of the tree of life, he would no longer have been mortal. He would have been immortal again. His mortal days would have ended. Alma implies that were it not for the cherubim and flaming sword, that is what might have happened. (Alma 12:21) and they would have been denied a "probationary" time in which to repent. *Therefore*, the Lord lengthened their *mortal* days (ie. allowed them to live a mortal life and die at the end of it rather than gain immediate immortality) or as Alma puts it, granted them a "space", in order to repent. The key here is repentance. It must be done while still mortal.

Alma and Lehi are essentially teaching the same lesson. I should also point out that both Lehi and Alma are speaking of a broader group than just Adam and Eve. Lehi says "children of men" and Alma references "mankind" so these scriptures are actually relevant to us today. (as all good Book of Mormon scriptures are ;) )

Now, I realize that Lehi's statement is a centerpiece in your explanation of why the early generations lived a long time. I just don't think that interpretation is as strong as you think.

Roy

Now, I realize that Lehi's statement is a centerpiece in your explanation of why the early generations lived a long time. I just don't think that interpretation is as strong as you think.

I understand. I completely agree with your explanation about Adam heading over to partake of the fruit of the tree of life and I qualified mine. They were allowed to freely eat of any tree except the good and evil one. Once they ate that, their way to the other was then barred lest they should happen to eat of it, not that they would immediately decide to partake of it in order to make God a liar (Why would they want to?). I completely understand your perspective. I also believe that my explanation fits within your reasoning and even Hemidakota's 1,000 year day. Anyway, I won't claim that my reasoning is absolutely accurate, only that it is plausible and that it fits within your explanation as well. :)

I understand. I completely agree with your explanation about Adam heading over to partake of the fruit of the tree of life and I qualified mine. They were allowed to freely eat of any tree except the good and evil one. Once they ate that, their way to the other was then barred lest they should happen to eat of it, not that they would immediately decide to partake of it in order to make God a liar (Why would they want to?). I completely understand your perspective. I also believe that my explanation fits within your reasoning and even Hemidakota's 1,000 year day. Anyway, I won't claim that my reasoning is absolutely accurate, only that it is plausible and that it fits within your explanation as well. :)

Fair enough. :)

This is what I was referring to earlier about the 120 years:

(4-9) Genesis 6:3. What Is the Significance of the

Promise of 120 Years?

Many scholars, who have only Genesis to study,believe that this statement prophesied the shortened life expectancy that would take place after the Flood. In the book of Moses, however, it is clear that the 120 years referred to the time when Noah would preach repentance and try to save the world before the Flood was sent (see Moses 8:17). This period would be the time referred to by Peter as the time when “the longsuffering of God waited” (1 Peter 3:20). Because the people rejected the principles and ordinances of the gospel, preached to them by Noah, they were destroyed in the Flood. The Lord gave them more than adequate time to repent.

• 7 years later...