I just thought of this after reading some posts on Coffee/Caffeine. I have pretty severe ADHD and am on huge doses of Concerta and Ritalin LA (Like, the max. allowed by law). Is that allowed even though it is a drug/stimulant? Yes, I do get headaches and withdrawal symptoms if I don't take it for a few days, but it's not like I get a "high" from taking the medication. What's the Church's position on these kinds of drugs?

I've never heard that it would not be allowed. It's a drug prescribed for a certain condition by an licensed physician. Unless it was an illegal drug there would be no problem.

Guest migu

I'll add to this. The church does not proscribe against the use of prescribed stimulant medication for legitimate reasons. You might find a lot of members that poo poo the idea based on their own personal beliefs involving the word of wisdom. The best you can do is ignore most of this, as it has more to do with their personal belief and nothing to do with the Church's official position. Some might have helpful advice to offer, even to the point of using nutrition supplements in addition to or in replacement of stimulant medication. (inbox me for my thoughts about this, some things really are helpful.) Reading your post, you sound like you're getting pressured by others in the direction of taking them. To some extent the best thing to do is to try to come to your own realization of whether these drugs are a legitimate benefit or not. If they're actually a benefit, and I believe in many cases they are, I'd say keep taking them. But don't allow others to make you feel guilty, or that you are doing the wrong thing for your use of such medications. Last time I checked the church has not handed us out licenses to preach our personal revelations or beliefs as church doctrine.

That being said, please realize these medications are now I believe under federal law to require triplicate prescriptions, due to legitimate concerns over their potential for misuse. Care must be exercised to follow the advice given by your doctor in regards to your consumption of the medication (In other words, take what your doc tells you to take, and take no more.) They also have a large occurence of side effects with some people. Only you and your doctor can determine which route is best for you in the treatment of your ADD, and whether any occuring side effects should cause you to discontinue your use of those meds. And it IS against the word of wisdom to abuse them.

Isn't it strange that we have an "epidemic" of ADHD in the USA yet other advanced nations (Sweden, Russia, China, Japan, etc.) don't and they kick our collective behinds in academic performance?

And why the heck does Utah have so many people on ritalin? Is it because we project our expectations of quietness/reverence into the school environment or do people in Utah just trust corporate America, school administrators and the like more than they should?

Guest migu
Isn't it strange that we have an "epidemic" of ADHD in the USA yet other advanced nations (Sweden, Russia, China, Japan, etc.) don't and they kick our collective behinds in academic performance?

There's a lot of reasons for this, I think, but thats the problem. There's far too many factors involved, a lot more than mere cultural acceptance of the reality of ADD and willingness to use the medication to treat it that make up the reasons for overall academic performance for an entire country. Treating ADD is only part, and I think even a small part of the problem.

And why the heck does Utah have so many people on ritalin? Is it because we project our expectations of quietness/reverence into the school environment or do people in Utah just trust corporate America, school administrators and the like more than they should?

This question I've actually heard answered about another topic, You can listen to the speech here, if you're interested. Its available as a free download in mp3 format.

Speeches Website

the speaker said the same question came up (for different reasons) about the topic of use of antidepressant medication in the state of Utah. Its noticed that there is higher occurence of use of those medications, but this use did not necessarily denote more struggle with depression, as there was also more use of other medications, including antibiotics and the like.

From what I gather, the majority of LDS also take a lot better care of themselves when it comes to health factors, when compared to the overall populace, and are more willing to invest into looking into alternative medicines as well. I have a friend who runs a chain of herbal stores in Arizona, and she has often mentioned that LDS make up a great deal of the overall count of her customers. As a result, she really likes people of our faith. :)

I don't think its appropriate to say "trust corporate America more than they should." there is admittedly a much higher concentration of one type of culture in Utah which does influence the overall statistic, but to me this denotes a overall willingness to listen to those that have been educated on the topic. Not just putting faith in "corporate america" but also putting trust in those that have taken the effort to educate themselves. Its not so much a willingness to "conform" as it is a willingness to "improve our lot"

It is unfortunate that there is not as much study in the US of the herbal and nutrition remedies available for mental health, and admittedly this does to some extent boil down to the fact that there is not as much money in it. Can't patent a vitamin. (and nothing wrong with making a buck.) However this does not take away from the legitimate advancements we've made in medical science in the field of patent medicine, and their usefulness in treating health problems. And the fact that many many times these medicines work, when something like taking a vitamin, running a mile, or eating an herb simply doesn't. Most people knowledgable about the field of mental health (or any other kind of health) will tell you that both taking care of yourself through proper nutrition and exercise, or the use of patent medicine when necessary, are important factors.

it dosen't sound like there are any word of wisdom issues for you. i would ask the question are you comfortable with the treatment plan you are on? if you feel your meds are effective and you are fine with any side effects you are having then stay the course. i know a lot of ppl that have had great results with meds.

if you are not feeling good about it that is the greater concern. there are a lot of theories on how to handle adhd and the like. personaly i think society has messed up in a lot of ways in dealing with adhd and have a compleatly different theory of my own on what it is or how it should be delt with. however that's neither here nor there we still have to live in the world we are in so some things just have to be accepted.

i have lived with and worked with add/adhd, etc my whole life. mine isn't that sever and i treat mine with caffeine when necessary. i also treat pms (which makes the add worse) with caffeine rather than other avaliable meds. i chose to use this for several reasons (which i won't bore you with here). but i don't think twice about it when i'm in my recomend interviews. it's what works for me, i feel good about it and i feel like i have god's blessing in it. all that is personal revelation for me, what is right for you is between you and god.

Guest Seraphim

Fiannan: This comment is insensitive and off-topic. Please be considerate of those who suffer from this disorder and recognize that the OP isn't asking for opinions on the disorder itself, but about possible restrictions on their prescribed medications according to church standards.

Seraphim

if you are not feeling good about it that is the greater concern. there are a lot of theories on how to handle adhd and the like. personaly i think society has messed up in a lot of ways in dealing with adhd and have a completely different theory of my own on what it is or how it should be delt with. however that's neither here nor there we still have to live in the world we are in so some things just have to be accepted.

i have lived with and worked with add/adhd, etc my whole life. mine isn't that sever and i treat mine with caffeine when necessary. i also treat pms (which makes the add worse) with caffeine rather than other avaliable meds. i chose to use this for several reasons (which i won't bore you with here). but i don't think twice about it when i'm in my recomend interviews. it's what works for me, i feel good about it and i feel like i have god's blessing in it. all that is personal revelation for me, what is right for you is between you and god.

I know this is slightly off topic but this is my take on that first subject; I think the main "screw-up" is that it isn't diagnosed early enough, especially in girls. I've been medicated now for 5 years and I'm JUST starting to be able to go a few hours without meds AND without driving everyone around me insane. If it was caught when I was little, I would have needed much less medication, learned coping mechanisms earlier, and not had to go through the trouble I got myself into because of it.

Second subject: Mine is one of the most severe cases they've seen at Mayo-by 8th grade I could barely function normally because my brain was everywhere OTHER than where it was supposed to be. They've wanted to try caffeine to supplement my meds so I can be on lower doses, but I refused because of the "no caffeine" rule. Does it work well for you? I'm glad the Church is OK with prescribed "drugs." When I told the pastor at my family's church, he gave me a huge lecture about it!

Migu: "Most people knowledgable about the field of mental health (or any other kind of health) will tell you that both taking care of yourself through proper nutrition and exercise, or the use of patent medicine when necessary, are important factors."

I HAVE to exercise every day or there are actually pretty bad side effects from my medication... Like I wont be able to sleep because I haven't used up enough energy, I wont feel hunger pains and forget to eat (lost 25 pounds that way...). I think that is the BEST form of medication and I'm hoping to one day ONLY need nutrition and exercise prescribed for me!

I think a lot of people are ignorant on the subject of ADHD and its debilitating effects. I think that if your desire is to utilize natural/alternative therapies in the future, you need to find a psychiatrist who will support your efforts. Also begin by finding a qualified professional in the area of alternative medicine you are interested in (chiropractic, nutrition. counseling, herbs, etc) and start on some small steps now. My daughter is currently on medication for a psychiatric issue but with the encouragement of the psychiatrist we have begun nutritonal therapies and chiropractic as a part of her treatment plan. The chiropractor and pyschiatrist communicate with one another on their observations and therapies so my daughter is getting comprehensive, supportive care. Check with a nutritionist about your diet and adding Omega-3's which research supports helps with ADHD. Some clients are able to wean off medications (with professional guidance) and for some they use it to enhance the effectiveness of their prescribed medications. This is truly a chemical imbalance and thank goodness we are able to find ways to work with the body and help you back to full functioning. As long as you have studied your options and are working towards full health, you have no need to feel guilty for your choices. Your nutritionist can also advise you on the use of caffeine, if this is a route you want to go, so that you can get the maximum benefit from anything you try. All, I can say from my personal experiences is that I am thankful for medications because sometimes they provide the "immediate relief" from symptoms that allow a breather to work through some of the underlying issues. Alternative therapies are great but take time to work to full effect and require a great deal of effort, meaning that we need that immediate breather to be able to absorb and change in the ways needed for these to work. Good luck on your journey and be patient with yourself.

Guest migu

one thing i've found that helps me is the use of certain foods or nutrients. find some pure whey protein, high in Cysteine. Knudsens cottage cheese is like this. Read the ingredients list to be sure it has whey protein. Perhaps a protein shake with a lot of l cysteine. one other way is a combination of vitamin B6, and Lecithin,. Or even an simple L Cysteine supplement. The reason for all of this is that cysteine builds up levels of glutathione, which levels are lowered by the use of stimulants. Glutahione Glutathione - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is an antioxidant substance found in the cells of your body. It protects your body's cells from oxidative damage. When the levels of glutathione are too low, your body has trouble washing out harmful substances, and the cells even sometimes die.

Raising glutathione levels is an excellent way to wash the stimulant out of your system. I sleep a lot easier when I do it. Make sure you take a one a day vitamin at least, or you are getting proper nutrition so that your body has plenty of building blocks to restore glutathione levels.

This is not the only method I've found that works. But it a good one, and if you do it right, it will knock you right out.

Medicine does not violate the word of wisdom. Heck! Where would I have been without those painkillers after my surgery? Those little pills were my best friends!

I see no worthiness issue with ADHD meds. I see other issues.....like whether or not they are the best therapy...and other such things.

They've wanted to try caffeine to supplement my meds so I can be on lower doses, but I refused because of the "no caffeine" rule. Does it work well for you?

do you know how many members drink caffiene when they don't need it or becuase they are addicted to it? they never "get in trouble" at chruch. not saying that justifies anything but if you need it medicaly don't let that stop you.

if you would like to lower the doses and the dr's think that's a good idea i'd consider it. it works very well for me, i've know of others that have also had good results with it.

i think one of the things that makes it effective for me is not using it all the time. i don't need something all the time and i can feel it when things are getting out of control, all i need is a soda with some to nurse on for the day. i get pretty quick results with it. i've known others that take a specific dose at specific times of the day. those that i know that have used it think of it like meds they don't just drink caffeine whenever. to keep from confusing my kids i tell them it's like tylonal or any other med, it has a time when it's appropriate and useful. they seem to do fine understanding it that way. so i don't feel like a hypocrite at all drinking some on occassion and then telling them the church recomendation for it. if they ever need it they will be allowed to have it.

Guest migu

Medicine does not violate the word of wisdom. Heck! Where would I have been without those painkillers after my surgery? Those little pills were my best friends!

I see no worthiness issue with ADHD meds. I see other issues.....like whether or not they are the best therapy...and other such things.

they are problematic. for many people they're very effective but unfortunately problematic.

they are problematic. for many people they're very effective but unfortunately problematic.

Yes, they're VERY problematic. You lose your hunger sensation and it speeds up your metabolism (good, right? Not really after you end up 20 pounds underweight because you forget to eat!), acne like you wouldn't believe (down arms, legs, back and stomach) and can't treat with anything normal, the shakes, not being able to sleep at night, etc. They do help a lot with everyday stuff, but for someone recently diagnosed, try other methods first!

Guest migu

Yes, they're VERY problematic. You lose your hunger sensation and it speeds up your metabolism (good, right? Not really after you end up 20 pounds underweight because you forget to eat!), acne like you wouldn't believe (down arms, legs, back and stomach) and can't treat with anything normal, the shakes, not being able to sleep at night, etc. They do help a lot with everyday stuff, but for someone recently diagnosed, try other methods first!

I agree. The best treatment is the one with the most effectiveness vs. the least side effects. I've lamented on that fact quite a bit. I take them myself. I had some pretty rotten side effects myself. Luckily I found ways to manage mine. I thank God for this blessing every day. Not everyone is so lucky.

Guest migu

I think the Church would prefer that you be able to pay attention with the medication rather than...

Hey did anybody else see that zebra with the monkey?

I did. He was on a double date with the walrus and the polar..... time to take my meds.

Fiannan: This comment is insensitive and off-topic. Please be considerate of those who suffer from this disorder and recognize that the OP isn't asking for opinions on the disorder itself, but about possible restrictions on their prescribed medications according to church standards.

Seraphim

I would argue as to whether questioning the premise of ADHD is insensitive but to comply with your wishes I will not debate this here but instead open up a topic in the general discussion section.

:hippie:

Too bad they only think "the hearts of conspiring men" only exist in tobacco and beer companies. :(

The WoW is a law of health, there's so much to get from it. Healthy eating, exercise, and sleeping habits. You should do all these as well as taking meds. Who knows, it might help!

I think the REASON for taking medicine should be this:

If I don't take it, a pre-existing condition will prevent me from functioning properly.

(See, this eliminates addiction, which your body needs to function "properly" only because you altered your chemistry to dependency.)

I don't see why there should be anything wrong with medicine.

As long as we're doing it with prudence and thanksgiving, for the right reasons...

• 2 months later...

The drug has no known therapeutic benefit for autism: it is used as a chemical restraint to disable children and control their behavior. J & J acknowledged: “The anti-psychotic drug is not a cure for autism, nor does it treat the condition itself.” But Dr. Steven Galson, director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), told The Los Angeles Times: "This approval should benefit many autistic children as well as their parents and other caregivers."

==================================================================

rosy

Utah Drug Addiction