Awakening To Our Awful Situation

skalenfehl

Awakening To Our Awful Situation

By Jack Monnett, PhD

I'm only on the first few chapters and so far it's very interesting, almost chilling. This book outlines warnings from the Nephite prophets to us.

I made a brief commentary here: http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/11823-hang-thread.html#post208791

Moroni saw our day and wrote about it (among his many commentaries throughout the Book of Mormon) addressing us:

Ether 8: 24-26

24 Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you; or wo be unto it, because of the blood of them who have been slain; for they cry from the dust for vengeance upon it, and also upon those who built it up.

25 For it cometh to pass that whoso buildeth it up seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries; and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people, for it is built up by the devil, who is the father of all lies; even that same liar who beguiled our first parents, yea, even that same liar who hath caused man to commit murder from the beginning; who hath hardened the hearts of men that they have murdered the prophets, and stoned them, and cast them out from the beginning.

26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved.

This is an interesting book so far. I've yet to read the Book of Mormon through in a temporal context--that is in light of the political evolution and wars and contentions and the downfall of the Nephite civilization. Was it at the hands of the Lamanites? Yes. Would the Nephites have been able to withstand the Lamanites had their civilization not decayed from within thanks to the secret combinations of the Gadiantons and their secret combinations? I think so.

Moroni tells us as he recounts Helaman's dealings:

Hel. 2: 12-14

12 And more of this Gadianton shall be spoken hereafter. And thus ended the forty and second year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

13 And behold, in the end of this book ye shall see that this Gadianton did prove the overthrow, yea, almost the entire destruction of the people of Nephi.

14 Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi (plates of Nephi, large/small), from which I have taken all the account which I have written.

Would we as church members and American citizens be ready and willing to save our country from secret combinations? The Constitution really is under attack and will hang by a thread. Here's an interesting link:

LDSLastDays.com

"The prophet Joseph Smith declared, it will be the elders of Israel who will step forward to save the Constitution, not the Church"

Anyway, the more I read this book, the more I study the Book of Mormon and all the references pertaining to secret combinations, wars, and the downfall of two civilizations the more I see more than one parallel in our own society. I've been keeping up with current events since the beginning of the year and I have watched very closely this election process from the very start. I'm not going to jump and down and shout conspiracies, but I definitely sense collusion and wouldn't doubt shady, smoke filled back room deals that have been going on for who knows how long. We're living in a time of wars and rumors of wars and the decay of our society, the economy and our government. And we are letting it happen. As I mentioned in the other post, Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "In politics nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

Has anyone else read or heard of this book? Mullenite, this is right up your alley.^_^

I can see that the constitution is under attack. I can see that the moral fiber of this great USA is also faltering. I see the character that was once so prized is now pushed aside and replaced with individualism and pride and indulgence. At times, the state of things can be distressing.

But this is also the last time Father will gather his children and so much good is coming to pass as well! These are exciting times and blessed times and times of great sifting. Perhaps the constitution will hang by a thread, but we have the kingdom of God and the safety and peace of such a wonderful promise. And just when we think all will be lost, the Savior will come again and rule and reign in a beautiful theocracy. I am not scared. Sobered maybe. Watchful and aware. But not afraid.

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "In politics nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

I agree.

I have a funny quote...to me, this quote represents how the average American really doesn't care what government does...as long as their individual boat is not rocked. Just my slanted opinion!!!! LOL LOL

Here's the quote:

I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses. ~Victor Hugo

Speaking of horses:

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~?

:lol::lol:

I am not scared. Sobered maybe. Watchful and aware. But not afraid.

Very well spoken. It definitely is sobering, almost chilling because people can have so much more, but alas, freedom is a double edge sword. It is the Lord's tool for coming unto Christ and it's Satan's tool for man to become greedy and doomed. Thank God for the gospel!

I just love quotes...here is a good from President Hinckley:

Gordon B. Hinckley, “The Dawning of a Brighter Day,” Ensign, May 2004, 81

It was as Charles Dickens described in the opening lines of his A Tale of Two Cities: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, … it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Notwithstanding the great evil of these times, what a glorious season it has been and now is. A new day has come in the work of the Almighty. That work has grown and strengthened and moved across the earth. It has now touched for good the lives of millions, and this is only the beginning.

This great dawning has also resulted in a tremendous outpouring of secular knowledge upon the world.

Think of the increased longevity of life. Think of the wonders of modern medicine. I stand amazed. Think of the flowering of education. Think of the miraculous advances in travel and communication. Man’s ingenuity knows no end when the God of heaven inspires and pours out light and knowledge.

There is still so much of conflict in the world. There is terrible poverty, disease, and hatred. Man is still brutal in his inhumanity to man. Yet there is this glorious dawn. The “Sun of righteousness” has come “with healing in his wings” (Mal. 4:2). God and His Beloved Son have revealed Themselves. We know Them. We worship Them “in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24). We love Them. We honor Them and seek to do Their will.

The keys of the everlasting priesthood have turned the locks of the prisons of the past.

The morning breaks, the shadows flee;

Lo, Zion’s standard is unfurled!

The dawning of a brighter day, …

Majestic rises on the world.

(“The Morning Breaks,” Hymns, no. 1)

Perilous times? Yes. These are perilous times. But the human race has lived in peril from the time before the earth was created. Somehow, through all of the darkness, there has been a faint but beautiful light. And now with added luster it shines upon the world. It carries with it God’s plan of happiness for His children. It carries with it the great and unfathomable wonders of the Atonement of the Redeemer.

How grateful we are to the God of heaven for His beneficent care of His children in providing for them, through all of the perils of eternity, the opportunity of salvation and the blessing of exaltation in His kingdom, if only they will live in righteousness.

IMHO, President Hinckley was a truly gentle, kind man who could place peace and joy in our hearts...even in the midst of our trials and tribulations. His words will live on to be a comfort to us and a source of inspiration.