• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Xzain

I know not many members agree with me, but one of the problems is the movie portrays some doctrine fairly accurately, which makes it easier for anti-Mormons to use against the Church. I'd have to look at the video again, but I have no sound, so I can't give concrete examples right now.

I watched a little bit of The Godmakers on Youtube, and I do agree with you- he gets some doctrine right. The main problem with the portion I saw was that in roughly 3-4 minutes of footage, a dissection of the 'doctrines' he claimed the Church held showed that he only actually correctly portrayed two, and immediately used gross speculation and graphic representation to distort them.

I watched a little bit of The Godmakers on Youtube, and I do agree with you- he gets some doctrine right. The main problem with the portion I saw was that in roughly 3-4 minutes of footage, a dissection of the 'doctrines' he claimed the Church held showed that he only actually correctly portrayed two, and immediately used gross speculation and graphic representation to distort them.

and you have now uncovered how to write anti lit...

Um. I'm almost embarassed to ask this, but... who's Ed Decker?? :huh:

:lol:I'm so glad I'm not the only one! And I've lived in Utah all my life. I thought maybe I was confussing him with the news guy, ROD Decker.:lol:

Edited by breeb

Disciplinary Courts are usually held by the Stake President and High Council. Excommunication is not always the outcome, sometimes a member may be dis fellowshipped or no action at all may occur. It really depends on the circumstances surrounding the transgression. Ultimately, the SP makes the final decision with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Finally, the sole purpose is to help the transgressor repent and make their way back to full fellowship in the church and on to Eternal Life.

Just typical, kick a man when he is down. Where is all the love the mormon church preaches about?

Who's kicking him when he's down? This is a part of the repentance process. Do you honestly think the men in that room want to be there? That they somehow get a power trip out of it? I know I wouldn't. If there was no love, they wouldn't even have the court, they would just kick him out and be done with it. But they want him to repent and be happy.

Just typical, kick a man when he is down. Where is all the love the mormon church preaches about?

this has been explained over and over....why so bitter???? I feel you don't understand or know how this works.....I have been involved in many of these...and fail to see why your bitter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelPAGuy

Maybe i'm not reading my scriptures as often as I should, but I have yet to see any verses indicating that Heavenly Father or Christ are somehow opposed to discipline as a part of the repentance process. Everyone is subject to church discipline, not just your average joe members like your "friend". If the prophet himself committed a serious transgression he would be held to the same standards of accountability as anyone else.

I have a feeling this thread was created with the sole purpose of disrespecting the leadership of the church and their decisions concerning the actions of their church members. If this is the case, I suggest you get over it. Nobody is forcing your obedience to the gospel.

Disciplinary Courts are usually held by the Stake President and High Council. Excommunication is not always the outcome, sometimes a member may be dis fellowshipped or no action at all may occur. It really depends on the circumstances surrounding the transgression. Ultimately, the SP makes the final decision with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Finally, the sole purpose is to help the transgressor repent and make their way back to full fellowship in the church and on to Eternal Life.

There are five different leadership layers [position] that can hold a church Disciplinary Council. :)