The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe

Hemidakota

Posted Image

The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe

by Lynn M. Hilton

Paperback

SKU: 4971233

REVIEW BY DESERET BOOKS: Do you believe God's throne is in the center of our universe? Have you ever wondered how God's universe is structured? Here is a theory that will give you a deeper understanding of these subjects.

The Kolob Theorem written by Professor Lynn M. Hilton allows us to see more clearly the celestial home we lived in before we were born and the home we will live in after we die. These places appear more real; they are made of matter, some of very fine matter, and exist in time and space. It helps us anticipate the reality of the glories of our future home.

Lynn, as a man of faith, unties in a single theory, scientific evidences, together with LDS sources to account for the form and structure of all of God's worlds, planets and suns. Lynn advocates the theory that the great star Kolob (which is near unto God's throne) is located in the center of our Milky Way Galaxy. He examines several basic ideas which grow out of hypothesis.

This book is written to glorify God the Father and Jesus Christ His Son, creators of our universe. We admire and stand in awe at the appearance of Their extended kingdoms. When we behold the stars we see "God moving in his majesty and power." (Doctrine and Covenants 88:47). It is also written to describe the future glory of men and women after the resurrection if they keep all the commandments of God.

HEMI's REVIEW: Alot spiritual promptings, dreams, visions, I had been given over the years by the hands of providence, is taught in this paperbook. I was quite shocked to see such when I began reading it for the last couple of days. Quite amazing to see it but well worth the reading. :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You can get the book free here.

Please note, this is in no way an endorsement. I usually run from stuff like this as fast as I can. I just can't make the incredible leaps this author makes. I can't bring myself to make the jump from what scriptures tell us, to "God's throne is at the center of the milky way galaxy". I see no reason to conclude that you can take a map of the Milky Way and map out the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial areas. Just can't follow him to the conclusion that every god gets his own galaxy, and our God did not create them.

LM

I don't believe everything that the world or science tells me, but I sure do love reading astronomy books and learning about new theories. I take what I believe to be true, and the rest I just leave. Whether or not I believe a given theory to be true or not, I still find the journey to "truth" through science to be very interesting.

This book sounds cool. I may get to the last page having largely dismissed the whole idea, but I am sure I will be intrigued and entertained along the way as I read.

I am putting this one on my wish list! ^_^

Just FYI - this book is online:

http://hickmanmuseum.homestead.com/THE_KOLOB_THEOREM.pdf

although I would not mind a copy to leave on my "hot chocolate" table. :)

it is an interesting read.

Wow someone else that calls it a hot chocolate table. Here I thought I was being unique. haha

IMHO - as we begin to learn about many aspects about our own spiritual birth to mortality, we come to learn that there is more than our own Heavenly Father that is ruling in this such small universe. A closer look at the certain theological numbers [15, 12, 7, 3] and patterns seen, may prove out some interesting facts.

Some of his thoughts are the same conclusions that I have prior to reading his theorm. Some you will find out through faith and prayer does hold great weight of truth.

It is up to you to make that self-determination on what is truth and what is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded and read this. Ugh. I mean, we all like to speculate, but this sort of stuff is disturbing.

It reminds me very greatly of certain "doctrines" a few missionaries in my mission were teaching to members. These "doctrines" involved Uranus and Neptune being the telestial kingdom, Saturn and Jupiter being the terrestrial kingdom, and the sun being the "crystallized celestial sphere" wherein God dwells. Needless to say, the elders were stopped from teaching such nonsense, even to members. It was whispered that they were sent home early for this, though I do not know that to be true.

Ever since then, I've called such nonsense "space doctrine". The Kolob Theorem is pure space doctrine.

I would also note that The Kolob Theorem, in suggesting that God somehow resides within the Milky Way galaxy and that other galaxies are not God's creation, directly contradicts LDS theology, including Elder Scott's recent (and excellent) General Conference talk of last November, wherein he said:

"If we were capable of moving outward into space, we would first see our earth as did the astronauts. Farther out, we would have a grandstand view of the sun and its orbiting planets. They would appear as a small circle of objects within an enormous panorama of glittering stars. Were we to continue the outward journey, we would have a celestial view of our Milky Way spiral, with over 100 billion stars rotating in a circular path, their orbits controlled by gravity around a concentrated central region. Beyond that, we could look toward a group of galaxies called the Virgo Cluster, which some feel includes our Milky Way, estimated to be about 50 million light years away. Beyond that, we’d encounter galaxies 10 billion light years away that the Hubble telescope has photographed. The dizzying enormity of that distance is suggested by noting that light travels 700 million miles an hour. Even from this extraordinary perspective there would not be the slightest evidence of approaching any limit to God the Father’s creations."

Clearly, Elder Scott is of the opinion that all these are indeed creations of our Father.

I'll stick with Elder Scott on this one.

I don't care if the theorem is real or not. The words of the song are amazing and that's enough...

Some lyrics from the hauntingly beautiful song,

"If You Could Hie to Kolob"

"The Works of God continue....

There is no end to Virtue

There is no end to Youth

There is no end to Union

There is no end to Light

There is no end to Wisdom

There is no end to Love

There is no end to Truth

There is no end to Glory

There is no end to Being

There is no death above"

The author does not set these ideas out as doctrine. So we should stop calling it such or insinuating that he is trying to represent it as such. He makes it clear this is just his own speculation.

Whether his ideas square with Elder Scott's description or not take nothing from the fact that I find them interesting to think about.

Why do things like this upset people so much?

Perhaps each God gets His OWN Universe.

What I think the author is trying to convey is the majesty of thought behind it all. He rightly adores our Creator and stands in awe of His wisdom and organization.

The author does not set these ideas out as doctrine. So we should stop calling it such or insinuating that he is trying to represent it as such.

"Doctrine" just means "teaching", so of course it's a doctrine (or a set of doctrines). I don't think anyone has suggested that he is proclaiming these as official LDS teachings.

Whether his ideas square with Elder Scott's description or not take nothing from the fact that I find them interesting to think about.

True enough, though I don't recall suggesting that his disagreement with Elder Scott therefore implied you didn't find it interesting. All I suggested was that it seemed strong evidence against his "Kolob Theroem" views being compatible with LDS teachings.

Why do things like this upset people so much?

I don't know that they do. Some people might find the ideas distasteful, and moreso because of the claim that they are somehow compatible with LDS doctrines. Misusing words like "theorem" to describe what is better (and more literally) termed "space doctrine" is also an irritant.

so is the Book of Abraham 'space doctrine'?

edit:

i've read about halfway through this book. and while i did previously think that God's domain was the whole universe (all the galaxies, etc...), the more i'm inclined, as I study and ponder this book for truth, that maybe I was incorrect before. A galaxy is quite huge, when you really study how big it is. There is a LOT we don't know, officially, about how things really work. the author could very well have hit the nail on the head...and when I just imagine the scope of His creations...His home, I am awed. ;)

Edited by Gillebre

so is the Book of Abraham 'space doctrine'?

No, of course not. What gives you that idea?

i've read about halfway through this book. and while i did previously think that God's domain was the whole universe (all the galaxies, etc...), the more i'm inclined, as I study and ponder this book for truth, that maybe I was incorrect before.

You might do better to study and ponder the scriptures rather than someone's bizarre doctrinal interpretation of them.

I'm simply following the counsel in Moroni 10 that says the Holy Ghost shall reveal the truth of all things. Not just of the truth of the Book of Mormon, or that Jesus did in fact atone for the sins of us all, but any truth, 'the truth of all things' as the scriptures indicate.

When it comes to someone's theories of science or how the universe is, I've come to learn that the only way to be certain of any facts in the matter is to counsel with Heavenly Father on the matter. He's the only one I trust.

When it comes to someone's theories of science or how the universe is, I've come to learn that the only way to be certain of any facts in the matter is to counsel with Heavenly Father on the matter. He's the only one I trust.

Interesting practice. I must admit that all through school, it never occured to me to pray for divine spiritual verification of the mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, or engineering I was learning. Doing so would have seemed to me, I think, an attempt to misuse a divine gift, like praying over which can of beans to buy.

There are truths within this book that may surprise you. Abraham had seen more than what is written in the Pearl of great Price that is not written. There are other non-canonized wittings that illustrate what Professor Nibley discovered what was shown to this special prophet due to his desire to know what the previous fathers knew.

Gillebre, you are correct. As we advanced our spiritual knowledge, we should rely on that spirit or the Godhead and not the counsel of men. When we have that desire to be like Enoch, Abraham, Moses, or even Joseph Smith, and live the will of the FATHER, those truths will begin to unravel before our eyes and will see the truths that are hidden from the world and the church [due to the spiritual immaturity].

and don't the scriptures say that Kolob governs all things? What if it governs all things by gravity (ie holding them in place/orbit/whatever)?

And I don't recall any scripture or Prophet declaring that it couldn't be a black hole. I mean, if you think about it...what has enough power to hold a galaxy in place? Every outlying star, planet, asteroid, and everything else is held by gravity. Something's at the center which is keeping everything in place - and we know that it's some incredibly awesome force...and science tells us that (super-massive) black holes are just about the only things capable of such a feat (from what I learned, anyway).

Just food for thought. This book was a very interesting read. I enjoyed taking what the author related to heart and pondering it out. :)