Self-Righteousness on Parade

Snow

re: LDS actor Kirby Heyborne who appeared in a non-drinking role in a commerical:

"But from the storm of condemnation Kirby has had dumped on him, I realize now that the church is far more pure than I had supposed. Good Mormons don't make such compromises!

We are in a golden age of righteousness!

That is why Mormons are resigning from any advertising agency that handles alcohol advertising, or creates ads that use seductive models or that entice people to spend beyond their means.

Mormons who work at TV and radio stations and for networks that accept advertising that in any way violates church standards are also quitting their jobs.

The Marriotts are ceasing to serve alcoholic beverages in their hotels; their own wine label is being shut down, and the current stock is being destroyed.

Mormons who own or work for convenience stores and restaurants and airports and broadcasters and, in short, any business that requires any employee to work on the Sabbath are now going to resign.

Not only that, but Mormons who teach at universities where atheism and anti-religious beliefs are taught by anyone are resigning their positions rather than lend their support, by implication, to such anti-Christian activities.

Mormons in government office, elective or appointive or merely hired, will all resign in protest whenever their branch of government passes a law or enforces a policy that is contrary to the teachings of the gospel.

In California, every Mormon in state government is writing a letter of resignation right now, rather than be part of a government that has, by judicial fiat, corrupted the meaning of marriage.

And no Mormon will remain in office in any state that runs a lottery or has legalized gambling.

Mormon lawyers will cease to represent any client whose actions might not have been righteous at all times.

Mormon businessmen will refuse to buy from suppliers or sell to customers or work in partnership with anyone who does not conduct their business according to the principles outlined in the Doctrine and Covenants -- which includes management according to Section 121 and accounting by the Law of Consecration.

Mormon writers will now refuse to depict or mention any act of violence or other sin of any kind. We will show only good people doing good, in a world of perfect goodness, where nothing thwarts or distracts people in their pursuit of righteousness....

etc, etc, etc" (Orson Scott Card, Mormon Times - Heyborne in the age of purity )

hahaha me too. Especially when I got to the one about those that work at convenience stores. As much as I HATE working there on Sundays..resignation is not part of my agenda.

Loved it Snow. That was great!!!!!

I read this in the paper yesterday. We are commanded not to judge, but we are counseled to judge righteously.

D&C 11: 12

12 And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good—yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.

We know what the Lord has commanded us by giving us the Word of Wisdom. We have also been admonished to avoid the appearance of evil. We also know that members have made different choices than we might. That does not make their worth any less in the sight of God for all souls are of great worth to him. Therefore, let us not focus on the mote in Kirby's eyes while beams are falling out of our own.

D&C 10: 37

37 But as you cannot always judge the righteous, or as you cannot always tell the wicked from the righteous, therefore I say unto you, hold your peace until I shall see fit to make all things known unto the world concerning the matter.

This is a good teaching opportunity for our children. If you happen to see the commercial on TV and they ask why Kirby is in it, we can use this moment to teach them the importance of the Word of Wisdom and also the importance of loving our brothers and sisters who make choices that we may not agree with.

This is a good teaching opportunity for our children. If you happen to see the commercial on TV and they ask why Kirby is in it, we can use this moment to teach them the importance of the Word of Wisdom and also the importance of loving our brothers and sisters who make choices that we may not agree with.

Absolutely! Thank you! I do, and have, taught my children that they are to live what they believe and know to be true, not what they see others doing. A dear family member of ours smokes. Not only have I taught my children that smoking is bad for their health and that they should never smoke, but I have taught them that they are not to judge or make fun of this family member who smokes. He is just as precious to Heavenly Father as they are!

I live in Georgia where the state lottery funds the Hope Scholarship. I have known MANY LDS faithful who have gone to college on this Hope Scholarship. Though they would never dream of actually buying a ticket for themselves, they went to school on the funds from people who did purchase a ticket.

We have to be SO careful in our condemnation, because more often than not, we end up condemning ourselves. :P

Absolutely! Thank you! I do, and have, taught my children that they are to live what they believe and know to be true, not what they see others doing. A dear family member of ours smokes. Not only have I taught my children that smoking is bad for their health and that they should never smoke, but I have taught them that they are not to judge or make fun of this family member who smokes. He is just as precious to Heavenly Father as they are!

This seems a bit strange to me-its as if they will automatically make fun of them and you ae having to teach them not to!!

I live in Georgia where the state lottery funds the Hope Scholarship. I have known MANY LDS faithful who have gone to college on this Hope Scholarship. Though they would never dream of actually buying a ticket for themselves, they went to school on the funds from people who did purchase a ticket.

I dont see whats so bad about buying lottery tickets. It funds good causes and you can win some for yourself. Everyone wins!!!

One of the reasons is...there have been many many people who have sold all...their house, their belongs, everything they own to take a risk on the lottery. Greed has a funny way of twisting your thinking to justify what you hope will be the end result. Not saying everyone would do that. However it is a form of gambling and we have been counseled not to gamble.

This seems a bit strange to me-its as if they will automatically make fun of them and you are having to teach them not to!!

No, not really.

Actually, in a Family Home Evening we were talking about the things that we should not do, should not drink, should not eat, etc.

My daughter (6 at the time) asked me sincerely why G-Pa smoked if it was bad for us to do.

I used that as an opportunity to teach her and my son (4 at the time) several principles at once.

First, just because those that we know and love do things that we do not believe in doing, does not mean that we should follow them and start doing those things too.

Second, just because G-Pa does do something that we don't believe in doing...we should never act like we are better than him or that he is a bad person.

Third, we should have love in our hearts for those around us, even if they make bad choices. We can love others for who they are, even if we don't agree with what they are doing.

As a mother, it is my job to teach my children. Sometimes, I have to think two or three steps ahead and teach them things that they may not have even considered. I teach by the Spirit, and the Spirit that day prompted me to go more in-depth with them in the answer to my daughter's question, rather than just saying something quick and easy.

I felt it was important for them to see the G-Pa that is precious and dear to me and to them, rather than looking at a man who smokes. I know how kids think...I used to be one, and I have two of my own. Children, especially at their age, are VERY centered on the rules.

If you tell a child at this age a rule, they make sure to let everybody else know that rule, especially when they see somebody breaking it.

I have worked in 1st grade for two years now, and I know first-hand how serious this age group is about following rules and tattling on those who break them.

So, I know that it was the right thing to do, in going into further detail with my daughter and son and explaining that we are not to judge others when they do things that are not to our standards. We have to allow everybody their agency, just as we expect to be able to have our own.

Edited by Tough Grits

This seems a bit strange to me-its as if they will automatically make fun of them and you ae having to teach them not to!!

As a Mother of 4 and former Playground Supervisor at an Elementary School, I could only suppose you have very little experience with children to have made such an interesting comment...

Little children often make fun of those who are different from themselves in looks or behavior... They are young, and don't know any better... That is why good parents teach them not to...

Just something to consider before you judge another's children...

Silver Girl

Edited by Silver Girl

As a Mother of 4 and former Playground Supervisor at an Elementary School, I could only suppose you have very little experience with children to have made such an interesting comment...

Little children often make fun of those who are different from themselves in looks or behavior... They are young, and don't know any better... That is why good parents teach them not to...

Silver Girl

Thank you, Silver Girl. ^_^

When I read Aphrodite's response to mine, I could sort of see how my own words seemed weird. Why would I need to teach my kids straight out of the gate about not making fun of others?

Well, I just do. I know that my children are not the only kids who can keep asking more and more questions the more answers you try to give. So, from experience, I just know that my kids want the whole explanation, not just a compact answer! Which is good! I want my kids to see the whole picture, not just the one that I paint!

Actually, Aphrodite's question helped me to see that I am on the right track in what we discuss and teach in Family Home Evening's. It can be so easy to think the FHE isn't making a difference...but I know better. It really is. And my daughter is the first to remind me if we are even a day late in having FHE!!!!

~TG

Hi, ToughGrits...

I agree with you, we need to start teaching our kids about kindness early, or they could become teasers and bullies...

I could hardly believe some of the things that kids said to one another on my playground... And I didn't stand for it... Kids that said and did unkind things were made to apologize and were reported to the Office, where calls were made to their parents... It was tough at first, but soon the "meanies" got the hint... My Principal said he recieved a lot of compliments from parents, whose kids felt like someone "had their back"...

Silver Girl

Silver Girl

I wasn't judging her children, it just sounded weird-but she explained herself and now I get it. And no I dont have a lot of experience with children apart from being in primary and my 2 step brothers. Children are scary I stay away from them where I can lolololol