I am to be baptized on the 27th June, the elders have pretty much explained the whole process to me but i'm still pretty nervous and don't know what to expect...any insight would be great, or maybe you would like to share your own baptism stories?

My main concern is the baptismal interview, again the elders went through what questions will be asked and all are pretty straight forward and I have answers for them all. However, I am worried about question number 4, Have you ever commited a serious crime? if so are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homsexual relationship? So this question was going well all no answers untill the last one! I did have a relationship with another woman, does this mean that I may not be allowed to be baptized? I know now what I did was wrong, I was faced with two choices back then, be alone and unhappy, or be with someone who said they loved me and wanted to be with me. Sadly I chose the wrong choice, I was in a very dark place back then and I couldn't find the strengh to be alone anymore. I guess I would say that satan had a very strong hold over me...I have obviously repented for this past sin and I can be sure that it wont ever be repeated. I know now that it was not gods plan to have homosexual relationships as they can not physically procreate...so is this past sin going to hinder my chances of becomming a member of the church?

Alicia.

I was baptised today, and it was a wonderful experience...and I wish the same for you.

My understanding of the interview is that all that is required is honesty. What is being asked in essence is whether you understand what baptism is about, and understand that it involves some basic covenants. Saying yes to some of these questions would help in discussing how your view has changed over time, and may lead to a discussion of the meaning and methods of repentence. Such things are for our good, and I don't believe their intention is to catch you out.

None of us are free of sin and error. Trust God, and be open to the process.

May you be mightily blessed.

I am to be baptized on the 27th June, the elders have pretty much explained the whole process to me but i'm still pretty nervous and don't know what to expect...any insight would be great, or maybe you would like to share your own baptism stories?

My main concern is the baptismal interview, again the elders went through what questions will be asked and all are pretty straight forward and I have answers for them all. However, I am worried about question number 4, Have you ever commited a serious crime? if so are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homsexual relationship? So this question was going well all no answers untill the last one! I did have a relationship with another woman, does this mean that I may not be allowed to be baptized? I know now what I did was wrong, I was faced with two choices back then, be alone and unhappy, or be with someone who said they loved me and wanted to be with me. Sadly I chose the wrong choice, I was in a very dark place back then and I couldn't find the strengh to be alone anymore. I guess I would say that satan had a very strong hold over me...I have obviously repented for this past sin and I can be sure that it wont ever be repeated. I know now that it was not gods plan to have homosexual relationships as they can not physically procreate...so is this past sin going to hinder my chances of becomming a member of the church?

Alicia.

Alicia....I too am a convert and I too have lived in the dark, many of us have, we are all sinners....all of us.

But know this Alicia, the Lord loves you. Through His beautiful Atonement your sins can be washed clean. This wonderful change of heart that you are going through right now, that beautiful peaceful feeling of truth and right and light is because you have (whether you understand it or not) experienced the cleansing power of Christ's Atonement and the Spirit of God is with you. Now just think, after your baptism you will be confirmed a member and given the gift of the Holy Ghost to be with you always as long as you are worthy. When asked the question that you fear, hold your head high and say no because the sin is gone and shall be remembered no more through His love. It's a if it never happened.

As far as the actual Baptism....just go with the flow. You'll change into all white (the ward provides you a white jumpsuit thing to wear). Then there will be an opening song and prayer, a talk or two, then your Baptism. (you'll dry off and change back into your clothes in the dressing room) and while this is happening those in attendance might watch a church video or listen to a talk. You'll come out when you're ready. You'll get a welcome talk from the Bishopric, maybe another talk, song and closing prayer. You really have nothing to worry about as I'm sure there will be a lot of members there to help and guide you. You will be confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost on that Sunday following in Sacrament meeting.

Alicia, you are a choice daughter of our Father in heaven and he loves you and is so proud of your choice to come unto Him. The Heaven's rejoice.

Godspeed on your journey in the kingdom of God my sister!

Listener, congratulations on your baptism. I'm so pleased for you!! :)

Alicia, welcome to the forum :)

I agree with Listener and Brother Dorsey.

I understand too that those question are to prompt you to open up about any unresolved, ongoing issues that need sorting out and repenting of, which could then delay your baptism.

Seeing it is in your past, and as you say yourself it is a past sin, and you are no longer in that relationship and you don't have those feelings any more, I'm sure it won't stop you from being baptised.

It would be a different matter if you were still in such a relationship - but that doesn't apply to you now. Just answer the questions completely honestly. I always enjoy speaking to my leaders in interviews. The spirit can often be felt very strongly.

We have all made mistakes (big and small and lots and lots) and as long as we sincerely, honestly repent and always strive to be a better person, then it doesn't matter what is in our past.

Heavenly Father loves us all and I'm sure he is well pleased with where you are in your life right now.

I wish you all the best with your baptism and I sure hope you have a wonderful day, when it comes.

Please keep us updated :)

:)

Edited by SmilingRedhead

I was baptised today, and it was a wonderful experience...and I wish the same for you.

My understanding of the interview is that all that is required is honesty. What is being asked in essence is whether you understand what baptism is about, and understand that it involves some basic covenants. Saying yes to some of these questions would help in discussing how your view has changed over time, and may lead to a discussion of the meaning and methods of repentence. Such things are for our good, and I don't believe their intention is to catch you out.

Not to hijack this thread, but congradulations our good friend. That is wonderful news! Welcome to the fold.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Alicia.

Alicia,

This is wonderful news and I commend you on your decision to be baptized! Just like others have said, answer those questions honestly. Don't feel bad any more. It will not hinder your chances for being baptized. Only if it was still a problem. :)

Being baptized is the way to full forgiveness, and the prerequisites are faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and in his atonement, and full repentance of our former sins. When we enter the waters of baptism having fully repented of our sins, meaning we have confessed them and forsaken them (D&C 58:43), we will have a complete remission of our sins, and you will be ready to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. All of our former sins are washed away and we will be as little children innocent again. If we have repented of our sins, God will remember them no more.

Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more. (D&C 58:42)

That is the reason why those specific questions are included. They are serious enough sins that, for members of the Church, it would require us to confess them to the proper authority as a part of full repentance. The missionaries may have to have a member of the mission presidency complete the interview, so I would suggest that you let them know ahead of time how you intend to answer that question, so that they can arrange for for that. You won't have to go into details.

I am so happy for you, and it appears to me that you are ready for this step in your life.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Wow Listener, that is totally awesome and congratulations. But say...where do you live? That was posted at 5:30 a.m. my time. Either you did this very early in the morning or you are in a totally different time frame than me. Just asking out of curiosity.

Wow Listener, that is totally awesome and congratulations. But say...where do you live? That was posted at 5:30 a.m. my time. Either you did this very early in the morning or you are in a totally different time frame than me. Just asking out of curiosity.

Pammy, Listener lives in Australia... so huge time difference for us all... :)

(Yes, I'm being a smarty pants, as I only looked on his info details in the top right corner of his post... heehee :lol:)

Alicia.

Hello Alicia. I hope you are doing well today.

I'm happy for your decision to be baptized. Also, I appreciate you giving me an opportunity to answer your question and concern.

My advice is to answer the question honestly, no matter what. If you have ever done those things, confess them and be done with them. If you have repented and those things are no longer a part of your life then you are ready to be baptized. As Vanhin pointed out, the sins that are addressed in that question are serious enough that they would require members to confess them to the proper priesthood authority. In the same way you will have an opportunity to confess them to the proper priesthood authority for no other purpose than to get those things completely off of your chest and to make sure they are bygones. It is part of the preparation of being "born again". Look at it as an opportunity to leave all of the "sinful self" behind as you begin a new life.

Regards,

Finrock

Thankyou all so very much for your kind words. My interview is tonight at 8pm (uk time) I'm looking forward to it now. The baptism has already been put back once from the 11th June to the 27th June because I wanted to be married and have my partners and childrens surname...and to, I don't know, put another wrong right (children out of wedlock) before I make the covenants with heavenly father. If the baptism does need to be put back again so that I can speak to the right authorities, then I will take it as a test of my patience.

Alicia.

History is not destiny. What you have do,ne where you have been and the circumstances you once found yourself into have no baring on the future. I second Finrock on the statement that the interview is part of the process of closing that chapter of your life forever. Once you are baptized, God does not look upon your past sin any longer. Neither should you.

Congrats!!! A great day awaits you.

Thankyou all so very much for your kind words. My interview is tonight at 8pm (uk time) I'm looking forward to it now. The baptism has already been put back once from the 11th June to the 27th June because I wanted to be married and have my partners and childrens surname...and to, I don't know, put another wrong right (children out of wedlock) before I make the covenants with heavenly father. If the baptism does need to be put back again so that I can speak to the right authorities, then I will take it as a test of my patience.

Alicia.

Congrtas to you on your Baptism.....I love the UK....served my mission there...Leeds England...:)

Congrats to you on your Baptism...:D

Listener hit it right on the money. ALL that is ever required for any interview is honesty. Pure, absolute honesty. The ability and desire to admit the truth, no matter how dark or shameful it may seem, brings countless blessings into your life. It is a beautiful example of true humility, which is where all blessings flow from.(Mosiah 3:19)

BTW, congratulations on your baptism Listener!!!

Congrtas to you on your Baptism.....I love the UK....served my mission there...Leeds England...:)

When did you serve if you don't mind my asking? I believe my home town is in the Leeds mission boundaries, well I know it is haha. It covers quite a large area, or so i was told.

Well the elders came last night and kindly informed me that when I did the "mock interview with them a few days ago, they went away and spoke to whoever it is they speak to and told them that I would be "confessing" yes to one of the points in question 4...so to save a bit of time, they decided to have me interviewed by someone with more authority than the origional elder who was going to do it last night...apparently it saves time having me reffered to the mission president or whoever he elects to do it on his behalf. Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyway, they are coming back tonight, and i will be interviewd. I will let you know how it went tomorrow.

Alicia

When did you serve if you don't mind my asking? I believe my home town is in the Leeds mission boundaries, well I know it is haha. It covers quite a large area, or so i was told.

Well the elders came last night and kindly informed me that when I did the "mock interview with them a few days ago, they went away and spoke to whoever it is they speak to and told them that I would be "confessing" yes to one of the points in question 4...so to save a bit of time, they decided to have me interviewed by someone with more authority than the origional elder who was going to do it last night...apparently it saves time having me reffered to the mission president or whoever he elects to do it on his behalf. Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyway, they are coming back tonight, and i will be interviewd. I will let you know how it went tomorrow.

Alicia

Yep, that's exactly what I thought would happen. :) It's good that you informed them of your answer in the mock interview. They are under instruction to defer to their priesthood leader (who is the mission president) in such cases. So, it saves time because they will have the right person interview you the first time instead of having to arrange it later when you answer the question to the missionary, thus causing more delays. Don't worry about it though. The mission president is an older more experienced person, and has counseled and dealt with issues of a sensitive nature before.

Believe it or not, there are people who still struggle with serious sins when they are interviewed, and it's important that they are completely resolved before making the covenant of baptism with the Lord. That's why the extra caution. I don't think it will pose any issue to you because, at least to me, it appears that this thing is completely behind you. Continue to be honest and patient. I promise you that the Holy Spirit of promise will attend your baptism, and you will know that the ordinance was accepted by God because of your sincere and faithful preparation.

Your faithfulness is inspiring to me. :)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin
Grammatical errors abound.

First off, let me congratulate you on your wonderful decision! Choosing to enter into the waters of baptism was the best decision I've ever made! I'm so happy for you!

As for your question, Vanhin is right. This is something that's taken pretty seriously, and needs to be confessed to the proper Priesthood Authority, usually a member of the Mission Presidency. So, telling the Missionaries that you a member of the Mission Presidency should do the interview is probably a good way to handle it. You don't really have to go into any details with them, either. And this way, you might not have to worry about "missing" your baptism date.

Don't worry, though. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. It sounds like this was a onetime thing, so there probably isn't a big chance of recurrance. The main thing that the Mission Presiden(cy) will ask you is if you've brought it before the Lord, and if you feel that He has forgiven you, and are ready to be baptized. That's something that only you can answer, and I suggest that you pray about it (if you haven't already).

You're on the right path. It's the most rewarding (and sometimes difficult) thing you can do. Above all, remember that the Lord loves you unconditionally, and is always there for you, with his "arm stretched out still".

Alicia

What you are saying makes perfect sense....don't worry all will be well.....I served in 4 areas while there.....I hope I spell them correctly.....Huddersfield.....Whitehaven.....Scarborough.....Worksop...I believe I hit all 4 corners of the mission....

:) I passed my interview, and will be baptized on Friday at 5pm! I am so excited. lol I know I should be excited to be getting married on the Thursday, but for some reason the baptism is all I can think about. I just feel so lucky. I have invited my parents and my best friend and her husband, but sadly my mum upset me by saying it depends what time it finishes because there is an important rugby match on the tv at 630! thats devistated me. I'm sure it isn't just me as even my husband to be who doesn't have any faith said that a baptism is so much better and has more meaning than a rugby match. My nanna wont come because she is scared they will try and convert her! I guess I will be the only person in my family who will be a member of the church. It will be hard trying to teach my children the gospel, they will be 2 and 3 this summer and I don't know where to start except by setting the example. Obviously my husband to be will be having his scientific input on why we are all here, and that scares me! Do you have any ideas on what I can purchase or use to help teach my children? even at these young ages.

That is just awesome AliciaB!!!

I am very happy for you. Do not despair, we were the only members in our family and little by little some of our relatives have been converted. Not by pounding them over the head with the doctrine but by the example that we set before them. Just love your family.

I am excited and beside myself. I have been a member for about 12 years now and it was a life changing experience. I wish I could be there with you sister but I will have to be content with the news.

Congrats!!

:) I passed my interview, and will be baptized on Friday at 5pm! I am so excited. lol I know I should be excited to be getting married on the Thursday, but for some reason the baptism is all I can think about. I just feel so lucky. I have invited my parents and my best friend and her husband, but sadly my mum upset me by saying it depends what time it finishes because there is an important rugby match on the tv at 630! thats devistated me. I'm sure it isn't just me as even my husband to be who doesn't have any faith said that a baptism is so much better and has more meaning than a rugby match. My nanna wont come because she is scared they will try and convert her! I guess I will be the only person in my family who will be a member of the church. It will be hard trying to teach my children the gospel, they will be 2 and 3 this summer and I don't know where to start except by setting the example. Obviously my husband to be will be having his scientific input on why we are all here, and that scares me! Do you have any ideas on what I can purchase or use to help teach my children? even at these young ages.

Congratulations!

I'm glad your husband to be is supportive in all of this. That will help so much. As far as materials for teaching your children, just about of all the Church support materials for families are online. Here's the link.

LDS.org - Support Materials

Continue to study the scriptures, and pray, just like you have done up to now, and God will help you succeed. You will have lots of help from others at Church, like your sisters in the Relief Society, the Primary organization, and your Home/Visiting teachers.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I am so happy to hear about all the wonderful things that are going on in your life Alicia! Marriage and Baptism in one week...you can't top that! I am a recent convert and being baptized is one of the greatest events in my life. Don't worry about your family, they will come around. Just keep your head up and be a wonderful example to your children. Congrats!!!