Tithing breakdown bottom to top

bcguy

I have always wondered just where my tithing goes. I have had a hard time giving full tithing because I just dont feel the funds are fully delegated to the right areas where it is needed most.

Case point. I see almost NO donations to local homless people in my area. Mabey I am wrong but it has never been discussed as to how to help the LOCAL homeless people in which it is a growing problem.

My wife paid more the her required 10% of Tithing but she used credit cards to pay more the the 10%. Whats up with that? I said to her after she turned in her end of year check why in the world did you do that?? She gave no comment. Yet she gives every excuse why she does not goto church on a sunday! She has not been back to our ward for 1.5 years! She is in serios credit card debt since we married 10 years ago but it has been going down after two debt consolidations.

What's stopping YOU from donating to those causes? (and I'm pointing the finger at myself too, I know there's more I could be doing to improve my community) Tithing is for the funding of the church: chapels, temples, funding the auxillaries, paying electric and sewer bills, publishing teaching aids, etc. Fast Offerings are for assisting the poor.

I would say your wife wasn't wise to use her CC to pay tithing. It's 10% of our "increase", not "available balance". :lol:

why don't you mention that in your Elders Q meeting.......what can we do to help the local people who are hungry.....the Bishop can get food from the Bishops storehouse for the local food pantry....your tithing money helps people all over the world. Again....speak up in yor quorum and see what ideas you can put together to help. Its always easy to sit back and question.....now go see what you can do to help. Good Luck to you:)

why don't you mention that in your Elders Q meeting.......what can we do to help the local people who are hungry.....the Bishop can get food from the Bishops storehouse for the local food pantry....your tithing money helps people all over the world. Again....speak up in yor quorum and see what ideas you can put together to help. Its always easy to sit back and question.....now go see what you can do to help. Good Luck to you:)

Really? I had no clue! That's awesome. :)

Edited by Jenamarie
poor spelling

In a stake I was once in...we had days of service. Once a year we contacted our local community officers to find out what projects we could do. Whether it was to clean out the senior citizen center, paint the house of an elderly person, put together playground equipment at a daycare center...anything that we could do as service. Then we ended the long day with a bbq as a stake. It was awesome. Amazing what a stake can do in their local community.

I have always wondered just where my tithing goes. I have had a hard time giving full tithing because I just dont feel the funds are fully delegated to the right areas where it is needed most.

Case point. I see almost NO donations to local homless people in my area.

Hi BCGuy,

Tithing isn't intended to help the poor. From the Gospel Principles book:

Tithing is used by the Church for many purposes. Some of these are to—

1. Build, maintain, and operate temples, meetinghouses, and other buildings.

2. Provide operating funds for stakes, wards, and other units of the Church. (These units use the funds to carry out the ecclesiastical programs of the Church, which include teaching the gospel and recreation and social activities.)

3. Help the missionary program.

4. Educate young people in Church schools, seminaries, and institutes.

5. Print and distribute lesson materials.

6. Help in family history and temple work.

You might want to read the whole chapter - useful stuff there about why we pay tithing, how we should do it, and also how the church goes about helping those in need (i.e. Fast offerings and service)

Mabey I am wrong but it has never been discussed as to how to help the LOCAL homeless people in which it is a growing problem.

Have you considered looking at it from a different angle? How about this - the best thing this church can do for a homeless guy is to share the gospel with him and baptize him. Not sure how much you know about what makes people homeless, but if you ask someone knowledgeable, they'll tell you substance abuse, mental illness, and behavioral issues are the big 3. Accepting Christ as your personal savior can have quite a life changing impact on such things.

As far as your issues with your wife, sounds like something you really can't fix by talking to strangers on a message board. The LDS church discourages debt, encourages honesty, and tries to help people keep active and happy in church. What do you want us to say?

LM

Paying tithing with a CREDIT CARD? That's like REVERSE tithing. You're not supposed to pay more than 10%. 10% is a universal rate for everyone. You can't get "more blessings" by giving 20%. What about the people who give 10%, and are unable to give more? Should they get less blessings? No. That's why everyone pays the same.

However, if you want to donate to charity, you can do it privately. Not everything must go through church.

But if you are in serious credit card debt, you probably shouldn't be donating more than 10% anyway.

Cut up her credit cards. It's the only way I could ever get my spending under control. Never spend anything on the card until it can be controlled. (Which is when she's debt free in this case.)

Case point. I see almost NO donations to local homless people in my area. Mabey I am wrong but it has never been discussed as to how to help the LOCAL homeless people in which it is a growing problem.

My wife paid more the her required 10% of Tithing but she used credit cards to pay more the the 10%. Whats up with that? I said to her after she turned in her end of year check why in the world did you do that?? She gave no comment. Yet she gives every excuse why she does not goto church on a sunday! She has not been back to our ward for 1.5 years! She is in serios credit card debt since we married 10 years ago but it has been going down after two debt consolidations.

are you saying she is using credit card checks.....the church does not have a credit card machine....thats why I am asking:)

Or maybe she is getting cash advances off her credit cards?

That is worse! The interest rate on cash advance is super high. It won't go down either until the cash amount is paid in full.

Dude, cut up her credit cards and keep an eye on the mail for any more that she orders. I would go find some help in consolidating those debts and get her some professional help to keep her away from the credit cards!

I have seen it advocated on other forums that members should pay the amount of tithing commesurate with the income they would like to earn..and sit back and wait for the financial blessings to roll in.

I would never do it, but it just goes to show the type of odd thought that is out there.

Its just been a long standing point with my wife about credit card use. For some time it was spend spend and go into debt supporting me while I try to find a job. I have been doing good so far but elping her to pay off her credit card debts is slow.

BTW this all started with one day asking her before we were married she said she was in debt. I said how much she said 20 grand in credit card debt. It was at that time I did not want to marry her because she was not honest and up front with me but that was eight years ago. Debt is going down again. Two weeks ago I was looking at her credit card statments on what is exactly owed when I saw her credit card statments on my own without her knowledge. She got offeded and said "dont you believe me!" I said in the back of my mind no!

Credit debt ballance going down but only because I hammer her on the negative consequeces on what the interest is doing and she understands it.

BTW stake president said before you are to get sealed "years ago" I recomend both of you like everyone else see finacial counsoler.

Two weeks after that I asked her about it and she said "If we see a finacial counsoler I will divorse you"

That is all in the past. We are just slowly reducing our debt.

Anyone who comes up against somone who you think you want to get married to get a credit check on them. It may not b worth the marrige no matter how great thay may appear to be.

Edited by bcguy

There are spouses that are financially inept. Does that mean we should check them out prior to a temple marriage? No! Listen to what the Spirit prompts you and you will find overtime, having the gospel centered in their lives, they can work together to find a middle ground as time progressives in purging self-weaknesses.