Do non-mormons go to hell

Solus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mormons as well as anyone from any faith can go to hell. Mormons definitely are not immune. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. And welcome to our forums! ^_^

By the way, I like your username. I wrote some fiction based on a commando named Solus as the main character and protagonist.

Edited by skalenfehl

Simple answer, no. So lets get into the longer answer.

It really kind of comes down to your idea of Hell. I assume you believe it is some place with Fire, and Lava (or is it Magma when it is under ground?) some type of pain or torture would happen?

LDS church doesn't believe really in that type of Hell. So what does LDS believe?

First we believe after we die, we go to what is called a Spirit world. (Because its a world of spirits, kind of a clever name). But this spirit world is divided into two halves. One half is for those that have followed Christ and his Gospel (I leave it up to you to figure out if everybody does this in every church, or not) these go to what is called Paradise. The others that haven't followed Christ, go to what is called Spirit Prison.

With me so far?

We believe in the LDS church that Christ’s Atonement is for all people (living or Dead) we believe that everybody should have the chance to hear the “Good news” or the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So the spirits that know about Christ and his Teaching actually go to the other side and teach those that didn’t know. It truly shows God’s love for all his Children.

This kind of brings us to one of the LDS “versions” of Hell. That would be the spirit prison side. It could be classified as a Hell, because you are with out Christ, and at this point with out Hope for Salvation. But this really isn’t the type of Hell of Fire and burning.

After people have been taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ, then they get to go over to Paradise. (Baptisms would be preformed for these people here on earth).

After this has kind of all been sorted out, it then becomes time for the Resurrection.

In the LDS church (and in 1 Corinthians 15) We believe that people are resurrection to different Kingdoms of Glory. We believe that are three levels so to speak (and a forth I guess).

The highest is the Celestial Kingdom. This really is your classic defection of Heaven. This is where God is, and we can dwell with him together really forever.

The next kingdom is the Terrestial Kingdom. This is for people that had the chance to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but chose not to during the earth life, but Latter accepted the Gospel in the spirit world. This is a little “lower” kingdom, but Christ well be here.

The next kingdom is the Tellestial Kingdom. This is really the lowest, this is for those that rejected Christ, his gospel and didn’t really care about anything to some extent.

This also has been compared to a “hell.” They are kind of with out Christ, and really seperated from God.

Last is what we called “Outer Darkness” this is where Satan well be cased out to. Also those that committed Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost well get sent out to here. Really only a few well get this, but we do know Cain is one that most likely well be cast out to Outer Darkness (or I like to say OD). This is kind of the Last version of Hell. This really is the main place that “suffering” happens. Because they are the ones left with out Christ and his Atonement.

So now to your question, do only Mormons go to hell? Really no, because as you can see there are many places for all people (including Mormons, and every other religion). We let God be the Judge of who well go where. But we do believe that are requirments (like Baptism and so forth) that need to be followed to get to "Heaven." If these aren't followed then they don't get the "reward."

Edited by tubaloth

This makes more sense than the views of my church. I just have a hard time believing that Gandhi is in hell while the Son of Sam will be in heaven (he became a Christian while in prison for those who don't know).

Now for another question, what about Christians who were not Mormons? Which kingdom do they go to? And also what about people that have heard of Christianity and decided it was false yet still lived what could be considered a morally good life?

Everyone will have a chance to hear the gospel before they stand at the judgment seat of Christ.

From lds.org:

There are three kingdoms of glory: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, and the telestial kingdom. The glory we inherit will depend on the depth of our conversion, expressed by our obedience to the Lord's commandments. It will depend on the manner in which we have "received the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:51; see also D&C 76:74, 79, 101).

Celestial Kingdom

The celestial kingdom is the highest of the three kingdoms of glory. Those in this kingdom will dwell forever in the presence of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. This should be your goal: to inherit celestial glory and to help others receive that great blessing as well. Such a goal is not achieved in one attempt; it is the result of a lifetime of righteousness and constancy of purpose.

The celestial kingdom is the place prepared for those who have "received the testimony of Jesus" and been "made perfect through Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, who wrought out this perfect atonement through the shedding of his own blood" (D&C 76:51, 69). To inherit this gift, we must receive the ordinances of salvation, keep the commandments, and repent of our sins. For a detailed explanation of those who will inherit celestial glory, see Doctrine and Covenants 76:50–70; 76:92–96.

In January 1836 the Prophet Joseph Smith received a revelation that expanded his understanding of the requirements to inherit celestial glory. The heavens were opened to him, and he saw the celestial kingdom. He marveled when he saw his older brother Alvin there, even though Alvin had died before receiving the ordinance of baptism. (See D&C 137:1–6.) Then the voice of the Lord came to the Prophet Joseph:

"All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God; "Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;

"For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts" (D&C 137:7–9).

Commenting on this revelation, the Prophet Joseph said, "I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven" (D&C 137:10).

From another revelation to the Prophet Joseph, we learn that there are three degrees within the celestial kingdom. To be exalted in the highest degree and continue eternally in family relationships, we must enter into "the new and everlasting covenant of marriage" and be true to that covenant. In other words, temple marriage is a requirement for obtaining the highest degree of celestial glory. (See D&C 131:1–4.) All who are worthy to enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage will have that opportunity, whether in this life or the next.

Terrestrial Kingdom

Those who inherit terrestrial glory will "receive of the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father. Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun" (D&C 76:77–78). Generally speaking, individuals in the terrestrial kingdom will be honorable people "who were blinded by the craftiness of men" (D&C 76:75). This group will include members of the Church who were "not valiant in the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:79). It will also include those who rejected the opportunity to receive the gospel in mortality but who later received it in the postmortal spirit world (see D&C 76:73–74). To learn more about those who will inherit terrestrial glory, see Doctrine and Covenants D&C 76:71–80, 91, 97.

Telestial Kingdom

Telestial glory will be reserved for individuals who "received not the gospel of Christ, neither the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:82). These individuals will receive their glory after being redeemed from spirit prison, which is sometimes called hell (see D&C 76:84, D&C 76:106). A detailed explanation of those who will inherit telestial glory is found in Doctrine and Covenants 76:81–90, 98–106, 109–112.

Perdition

Some people will not be worthy to dwell in any kingdom of glory. They will be called "the sons of perdition" and will have to "abide a kingdom which is not a kingdom of glory" (D&C 76:32; 88:24). This will be the state of "those who know [God's] power, and have been made partakers thereof, and suffered themselves through the power of the devil to be overcome, and to deny the truth and defy [God's] power" (D&C 76:31; see also D&C 76:30, 32–49).

As is mentioned, to inherit the Celestial Kingdom, we must obtain such saving ordinances as baptism. The authority to perform such ordinances as was found in Christ's ancient church is found today in the restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the very same organization that Christ established in biblical times built upon a foundation of apostles and prophets with the authority to act in His name.

And is it possible to move from one kingdom to another?

Well, not to contradict Skal, but I suppose more to clarify, I have heard it said in Conference that those from a higher kingdom will be able to visit lower kingdoms. As far as someone from say the Terrestial kingdom being able to progress into the Celestial kingdom, I've heard both sides of the story, but the general LDS culture suggests that this is not possible. My personal opinion is the opposite, that everyone (except sons of perdition) can progress eternally but for those in lower kingdoms it takes longer. A quick search on LDS.org doesn't elaborate, however I'm open to any revelatory references on the subject.

Here is a quick overview of what LDS folks believe about life after death. This is from our 'Gospel Principles' Sunday School class we give to new members, people who are investigating the church, and members who want to brush up on the basics.

The Postmortal Spirit World

Where Is the Spirit World?

What Are Spirits Like?

Divisions in the Spirit World

-Paradise

-Spirit Prison

The Last Judgment

Judgments of God

Our Words, Works, and Thoughts Are Used to Judge Us

We Will Be Judged by Records

Those Who Will Judge

Assignment to Glories

- Celestial

- Terrestrial

- Telestial

- Outer Darkness

We Should Prepare Now for Judgment

Exaltation

What Is Exaltation?

Blessings of Exaltation

Requirements for Exaltation

After We Have Endured to the End

LM

No. We could not abide the glory of a higher kingdom. For this reason, those who cannot live at least a terrestrial law while in this life when Christ returns, will perish when the Earth burns as a fiery furnace. They will burn with everything else that is Telestial.

As the Earth will be moved to those worlds that abode in that state.

The question to ask if a person who receives and reside in the Celestial Kingdom needs to receive a 'White Stone', which observe those above Him/Her, is there another state that we are not aware of and is progression a furthering process after second estate.

Assuming by theory if one ‘could’ progress from Telestial to the Terrestrial state then to the Celestial, those who are in the Celestial may already moved on. We are still outside the realm of that Creator.

13 January 1867, speaking as president of the Church in the Tabernacle, Brigham Young stated, "According to [some men's] theory, God can progress no further in knowledge and power, but the God that I serve is progressing eternally, and so are his children." Journal of Discourses 11:286.

Edited by Hemidakota

Guest User-Removed

This makes more sense than the views of my church. I just have a hard time believing that Gandhi is in hell while the Son of Sam will be in heaven (he became a Christian while in prison for those who don't know).

Now for another question, what about Christians who were not Mormons? Which kingdom do they go to? And also what about people that have heard of Christianity and decided it was false yet still lived what could be considered a morally good life?

BTW...According to your Church...Mother Theresa is in Hell with Ghandi...

Well, not to contradict Skal, but I suppose more to clarify, I have heard it said in Conference that those from a higher kingdom will be able to visit lower kingdoms. As far as someone from say the Terrestial kingdom being able to progress into the Celestial kingdom, I've heard both sides of the story, but the general LDS culture suggests that this is not possible. My personal opinion is the opposite, that everyone (except sons of perdition) can progress eternally but for those in lower kingdoms it takes longer. A quick search on LDS.org doesn't elaborate, however I'm open to any revelatory references on the subject.

I agree to the extent that Christ will visit and minister to those in the Terrestrial Kingdom, but not the Telestial Kingdom. The Holy Ghost will visit and minister to those in all three kingdoms. I have yet to learn from any official source that we can progress from a lower kingdom to a higher after we are judged. This is our only probation here on earth. For this reason we have been warned by prophets since the time of Adam that this is the time to prepare to meet God. Those in a lower kingdom could not abide the glory, brightness or intelligence (light) of those in a higher kingdom. From my studies, each kingdom except the Celestial has a ceiling of progress. Only in the Celestial Kingdom can we progress indefinitely and have eternal increase.

It stands to reason that those in a higher kingdom could abide a lower kingdom. I find it interesting, though, that Father in Heaven will not visit the Terrestrial nor will Christ visit the Telestial, assuming I understand correct doctrine.

Holy Ghost - will visit the two kingdoms...there is no need to visit someone in the Celestial when you are standing in the same presence.

I find it interesting to note that the three kingdoms may not necessarily be physically separate from each other as we are not separate from those who have passed on to the Spirit World (prison/paradise) here on Earth, but are only "separated" by finer matter, per se, while still in the same location, but in a different "dimension." Perhaps the separation between kingdoms will be similar. I'm only guessing. Is this what you're inferring, Hemi?

[My opinion and does not constitute doctrine by the church]

Perhaps to our observational mortal visual wavelength of vision; there is a separation on what we can observe through our own eyes [Damnation, Telestial beings, Terrestrial Beings, and Celestial Beings]. I do believe that separation is actually spelled out in Abraham facsimile when it describes how light is passed from Kolob to the Earth by a factor of 4. As I believe that the damnation state is below our visual wavelength as to view it. I will say, that our bodies have at least a three layered dimension as you stated, 1] mortal shell, 2] spirit shell, and 3] intelligence.

Worlds I do believe are observable from where we stand when we view other galaxies [exception of the center core ring]. If you look very close at the core of our own galaxy from where we are presently located; you will find that there is a separation of worlds by states as identified by the prophets. I do believe when the Earth receives the Terrestrial glory, it will abide with those worlds that reside in that state or sphere that surrounds the center. Also to note, what is missing from this world and was taken by GOD, was the Garden, City of Zion, City of Salem, and other that are not written or privy to our current day revelation. This earth will grow in size as it receives back that was taken.

Now assuming everything starts from a fixed center point or place within the universe, and the process of building is outwards, the standing theory or assumption would be the inner ring of our Galaxy is the location where Celestial worlds and those who received that glory will abide. You will also notice, the distinction of brightness and colorization of glorified worlds [known as Stars to man] for each state from the outer edge to the center of this known galaxy or others close by.

Now, if I am wrong, I do know I will be corrected.....LOL

I know very little about the LDS Church. Do you believe that non-mormons go to hell?

Another very interesting topic. We must always remember that when it comes to interpreting what the OT and NT say we MUST consider translation as a significant factor. The word HELL was used for the Hebrew word SHEOL and the Greek words HADES, GEENNA and TARTAROO in the KJV. The problem arises when different translations translate the same word in different ways.

For practical purposes we have to make two distinctions. One word translated "hell" commonly refers to the lake of fire and brimstone. That is the spa designed for the devil and his minions, those who denied the Christ, the Holy Ghost and the testimony of the martyrs and the apostles.

The other translation that appears frequently is the one "grave." Now this appears to be figurative speech. Or a place of enclosure, prison, a place from where there is no escape or further hope of life/existence. This is what we equate to be "separate from God" after the resurrection. In darkness and away from His light and presence, spiritual death.

In both contexts; ANYONE can end up there. It is a personal failure and a willful act to end up in hell, whatever the description of it is.

I hope it helps.

Edited by Islander

I go to a fundamentalist church (not by choice). At my church it is believed that only christians go to heaven (they do not include mormons as christians, I however do). My belief is that we will be judged on what we did. The gospels seem to support this belief (the exception being John). So basically I believe that the particular religion doesn't matter as long as you live a moral life and do your best to be a good person.

By the way, have any of you visited the crosswalk forums? If not I encourageyou to do so, there are a lot of misconceptions about LDS that I think need to be cleared up.

I go to a fundamentalist church (not by choice). At my church it is believed that only christians go to heaven (they do not include mormons as christians, I however do). My belief is that we will be judged on what we did. The gospels seem to support this belief (the exception being John). So basically I believe that the particular religion doesn't matter as long as you live a moral life and do your best to be a good person.

By the way, have any of you visited the crosswalk forums? If not I encourageyou to do so, there are a lot of misconceptions about LDS that I think need to be cleared up.

The essential truths of the Gospel are available to every one to seek and to discern. You must rely on the truths as revealed to you by the Spirit rather than on what you are being "told" to believe.

I love the 10th chapter of Acts. We can learn so much about the common man, faith, the power of fasting and praying and the visitation of angels. One important lesson that Peter learned, is that God is no respecter of persons. God accepts all who believe in Him. So it doesn't matter what religion we belong to or what our background is, we all have an equal opportunity to find the truth and be blessed because the faith of a man from one religion can be just as great as the faith of a man from another religion. Cornelius' experience reminds me of Enos' mighty prayer or Alma's continual fasting and praying for a testimony. I recommend everyone read Acts 10. pay attention to the acts and qualities of Cornelius in relation to his background. Note also how long he fasted and prayed. Those in the present company who believed then were baptized. Cornelius had found the truth. He asked and received, not doubting.

http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/12337-ask-receive-not-doubting.html#post219149