Not Enough Time for a Calling?

Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

I was reading the Ensign this morning and I read this story about some members over in Hong Kong. Most of them work over 50 hours a week and some 70 hours a week. Yet they still have time to spend 5-15 hours a week in their church callings which include Young Women President, Counselor in the Stake Young Men Presidecy, Counselor in the Ward Sunday School Presidency, and more!

To be honest, I often wonder how I can balance personal study time, two callings, and working 60 hours a week myself. There was some interesting advice they give regarding how to keep yourself holy in this busy world.

Making Time to Be Holy - Ensign - June 2008

By Adam C. Olson

The World Rushes On

"To find some time for personal spiritual renewal, the friends say one has to plan for it. That sometimes means getting creative or sleeping less, including getting up earlier, going to bed later, and making use of commuting time and breaks at work."

Beware of Distractions

" “There are a lot of distractions in the world,” says Misty. For example, Misty mentions MP3 players, which allow you to take your favorite music with you wherever you go, but they can keep you from concentrating.

“I gave up my MP3 player almost a year ago,” she says. “It made it too hard to focus. I can’t think or ponder with my MP3 player going.” Dick talks about TV. “If I have time for TV, I have time for scriptures,” he says. “We need to find a balance and do the right thing at the right time.” "

In the World, but Not of the World

" “Life can be crazy,” says Dick, looking out over the endless bustle of Hong Kong at night. “When we make time for the Savior in life, we can have His help to overcome our challenges. Nothing in the world is as important to me as being able to return to my Father in Heaven.” "

Edited by WordFLOOD
Correct Date Typo

I agree callings take an awful lot of personal time. DH is currently GD teacher and spends hours a week preparing his lesson. Last week he had an extra job on and was working from 7.30 am till 10pm. He literally barely had time to eat a meal never mind prepare a lesson so he aslked someone else to do it. The wife of the sunday school president got the right hump interrogating him as to why he wasn't doing the lesson. I thought, chill out love, we all have lives its not always possible. I think people need to be more understanding when it comes to callings.

That sometimes means getting creative or sleeping less, including getting up earlier, going to bed later, and making use of commuting time and breaks at work."

Is this writer kidding?? So you have to SLEEP LESS which is bad for your health, and cram in things to your precious breaks or commuting time? DH often says to me how much he enjoys his drive time as its his personal time to chill out and relax with his music in the midst of this busy world and life. But to say we need to forget that and try to fill it with something else 'worthwhile' I think is asking for trouble. That writer makes it sound as if you have to be on the go from dawn till dusk, constantly doing things. If I or my husband did that we'd be heading for a breakdown. You need time to chill out and relax, that is not wrong its NEEDED!!!

" “Life can be crazy,”

It certainly would be MORE crazy if we all followed this writers advice. There is also nothing wrong with MP3 players. I think that its misleading to put something in like that. I understand the point the writer is trying to make, but to say that MP3s etc are a negative thing is way over the top. Once again, I travel a lot and have an ipod. It keeps me sane. Music is a big part of me and hubby's life. If we put on our music it de-stresses us, and by the end of a few songs we're smiling and maybe having a dance round the living room or moving to the music in the car. If I didnt have my music, I would have gone insane by now with my thoughts, hashing over all our problems over and over. music stops that and chills me out. I dont know how anyone can say that is a distraction.

I find it interesting and sad that many of us have made covenant to give of our time and talents, yet we bock when we are asked to do something or anything. Now, if you are one of those that actually follow through with your callings, then I'm not talking to you. But there are quite a few who won't or can't or ... you get the idea. We can make excuses all day long and for some of us its become a great way to waste time "we don't have".

I work approx. 120 miles from were my callings take place and somehow I find the time to visit with my home teaching families and fulfill my calling as EQ secretary. Now I'm not trying to brag, I just want people to realize that if they want to, they can find a way to complete their callings. The difference I see is that I take the covenants and commandments I agreed to serious.

I agree callings take an awful lot of personal time. DH is currently GD teacher and spends hours a week preparing his lesson. Last week he had an extra job on and was working from 7.30 am till 10pm. He literally barely had time to eat a meal never mind prepare a lesson so he aslked someone else to do it. The wife of the sunday school president got the right hump interrogating him as to why he wasn't doing the lesson. I thought, chill out love, we all have lives its not always possible. I think people need to be more understanding when it comes to callings.

Is this writer kidding?? So you have to SLEEP LESS which is bad for your health, and cram in things to your precious breaks or commuting time? DH often says to me how much he enjoys his drive time as its his personal time to chill out and relax with his music in the midst of this busy world and life. But to say we need to forget that and try to fill it with something else 'worthwhile' I think is asking for trouble. That writer makes it sound as if you have to be on the go from dawn till dusk, constantly doing things. If I or my husband did that we'd be heading for a breakdown. You need time to chill out and relax, that is not wrong its NEEDED!!!

It certainly would be MORE crazy if we all followed this writers advice. There is also nothing wrong with MP3 players. I think that its misleading to put something in like that. I understand the point the writer is trying to make, but to say that MP3s etc are a negative thing is way over the top. Once again, I travel a lot and have an ipod. It keeps me sane. Music is a big part of me and hubby's life. If we put on our music it de-stresses us, and by the end of a few songs we're smiling and maybe having a dance round the living room or moving to the music in the car. If I didnt have my music, I would have gone insane by now with my thoughts, hashing over all our problems over and over. music stops that and chills me out. I dont know how anyone can say that is a distraction.

I remember in my twenties being called to the Bishopric in a transient ward, I was still serving in the military as a Staff Officer [work started at 0600am and ended at 6:00pm] controlling many people under me, and yet, had enough time with my family of 8. Yet, the Lord helped to manage my time to ensure that I could accomplish everything in a given week. Now, the biggest blessing during that time frame was my companion who supported me during those long enduring hours.

When we give it all, the Lord will support us in that calling.

We should ensure, we give at least 10-percent of our daily lives in building the kingdom of GOD.

That could be really tough to calculate. What about the 8 hours a day I spend to make sure I have money with which to pay tithing? Do I get to count that time?

How about the time I spend holding my daughter when she can't stop screaming so that she knows I won't abandon her? Does that time count?

I see the point you're getting at, but disagree about the ten percent of our daily lives. I think we should be giving 100% of our time while contributing as much direct work to the Church as is necessary/we are capable of.

with family building or quality time included, I think that 2.4 hours a day is WAY too easy lol.

I apologize for the curt response then. I assumed you meant 2.4 hours a day directly contributed to the Church. That'd be absolutely insane.

Although, now that I think about it, I think it might almost balance out to that over our life times. Especially if we're ever called into a bishopric or stake presidency.

Guest Username-Removed

In my opinion, balance is the key. The idea that life's stresses need to be managed by the gospel. Its the counterforce in a world were negativity abound. Personally I work in a call center where people sometimes swear. If they really start to lose their lid, and swear and start to spin out of control, I just break in and say, "Pardon me, Im not going to be able to help you when you are swearing - It just doesnt work for me". My point is the more negative stuff is in my life, The more I have to spend extra time to counter all of that... to keep me as holy as possible.

Look, I believe everyone needs some downtime, and we all have the need to be entertained. I dont think there is a commandment that exists stating we shouldnt have cable TV or MP3 Players - But the commandment is to have balance.

Edited by WordFLOOD

Look, I believe everyone needs some downtime, and we all have the need to be entertained. I don't think there is a commandment that exists stating we shouldn't have cable TV or MP3 Players - But the commandment is to have balance.

I also believe we a taught to be in the world and not of the world. Which means, in my mind, that we should seek after the good things of the world. By "good things", I mean the things of the Lord, not what man considers good. We all know how man can distort what the Lord whats for us. :)

Guest Username-Removed

I also believe we a taught to be in the world and not of the world. Which means, in my mind, that we should seek after the good things of the world. By "good things", I mean the things of the Lord, not what man considers good. We all know how man can distort what the Lord whats for us. :)

I agree .... Its not the cable, The TV, The MP3 Player or even the Internet ... Its what YOU do with it. :):)^_^

Guest Username-Removed

I had someone from my stake tell me I was "cheating" by working overtime. Now this person was not a Stake President or anybody that I report to. But I did think it was interesting when his job takes him away from his family for MONTHS at a time. Hey, he can run his life however he wants, but I thought it was odd (to say the least) that he was pointing his finger at me. I did smile, ok, a smirk got loose too! Its funny, I've put well over $4000 in my calling, spent hundreds of hours in web design, research, and developing the best Branch Emergency Plan I know of, and yet I'm cheating! and now I give one 72 hour kit away to someone I'm inspired to every month. Cheating huh?

Most callings are not permanent, and they don't all take up the same amount of time.

Not having your "free time" or "unwind" time and instead sacrificing it temporarily for the Lord is not something to whine about (as some do.)

Is your free time really "idle time?" If you weren't so busy with work and Church and family, would you be in an easier spot to become complacent or even lazy? Or would you, perhaps, do something that'd make it much easier for you to make "mistakes?" (i.e. sin)

I'm still progressing, learning, trying to pick up good habits. I find myself with so much idle time that it bothers me. While waiting for things to load, or finish I could easily grab my scriptures and relax with a few words from the Lord.

Instead of wondering what to do, I should just do. I've made progress in this regard by making to-do lists every day. I know what I need to accomplish. (Now I just need to work on using the time between tasks effectively.)

Time, talents, our very lives........ I love serving in the Church. I know that I am serving the Savior.He has done so much for me and I am always excited to serve. I am currently in The Young Mens Presidency and I am the Scout Master and a Stake Auditor and my wife and I serve as the Young Single Adults Advisors. My wife is in the Relief Society Presidency and we really love being busy. I think the Lord keeps me very busy because he knows how very weak I am.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that church leaders should look at a person's situation before extending a calling, especially if it is an extremely time consuming calling. I am a husband/father first, an employee second, and then a young men's president third. Some people have a hard time understanding that. I have little kids who need alot of attention, a wife that needs help at home, working 50-60 hrs week, young in my career (meaning I don't have alot of vacation time to take a week off for Scout Camp), working on a Master's Degree and trying to run a young men's program with skeleton adult leadership that I can count on 3 fingers. not to mention all the "meetings" I need to go to every week/month. I am worn out by the end of the week and the last thing I want to do when I haven't seen my kids all week is to spend all day sunday away from home too. I am a big believer in "simplifying our lives" like the GA's have been talking about as of late and I think we can start with eliminating some of the meetings church leadership has to attend.

This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately and I have read the replies. When I first saw the topic I was thinking someone must have ratted me out. I am guilty of not having a calling for quite sometime. I have taken this to the Lord and I know this will not be a forever thing. I feel some guilt for not currently holding an official calling but not enough to add more pressure to my life right now. I have been able to have confirmation that my decision is right for me at this time.

I believe that when we receive a confirmation by the spirit that we have been called to serve by God himself, then it is our choice to do so with a consecrated effort or not. This is the literal "proof" that is required of us to show that the covenants we have entered into are a priority to us. Being consecrated to Him allows us to "bind the Lord" and make his promises sure... of running and not be weary and walking and not faint.

I certainly have not mastered this concept by any means but as with all areas of my life, I hope to be perfected in it someday. That is what HOPE is to me.

Guest HEthePrimate

Believe it or not, it is possible to spend to much time in Church service.

When my late wife was a child, her father neglected their family because he was spending so much time in Church service. He accepted every calling, volunteered for special projects, etc. Because he was so willing to help at church, the leaders kept giving him more callings and asking more favors of him. It got to the point where he was seldom at home and wasn't meeting his family's needs.

His wife (later my MIL) complained to the bishop about it, and he just brushed her off because my FIL was just "such a good guy" because he helped out all the time. So she complained to the stake president, and got a similar response from him. She kept complaining for a long time, but nobody listened until she got a tape recording of her husband verbally abusing her. She played the tape to the bishop, and he finally started rethinking the whole situation. Eventually, my wife's father got disfellowshipped for neglecting and abusing his family.

So yes, sometimes a person does not have enough time for another Church calling.

HEP

It seems to me that if we "keep an eye single to God", accept a calling with the intention of magnifing it and ourselves, and keep our committment to dedicate all of our mind, might, and talent to progressing the work of the Lord. Then, God will bless us with the time to perform what we have been asked to do.

Let's be honest, some folks are not very good managers of their time, no different, that some of us not being very good managers of money, etc. Those of us who are having time managment problems, could benefit from seeking the help of God in prayer and then earnestly trying to change the way we presently use our time to get the job at hand performed (eye single to God). He will bless it and make it happen.

I tend to agree with Pres. Hinkley when he repeatedly stated, he got down on his knees in prayer and then got up and set about to get the task completed he was asked to do.

I don't think God wants us to fail.