Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

I was reading this article on Charity. From the December 2007 Ensign. Its pretty cool. One of the things I like about it is its message on Charity. Lately, I'm learning a lot about charity. I'm not totally sure why this has been so spirituaully prominent for me over the last year, but nonetheless, I am learning everything I can.

Here are a few quotes from the article that I thought I would post ...

What is charity?

" President Howard W. Hunter (1907–95): “‘A new commandment I give unto you,’ [the Savior] said, ‘That ye love one another; … By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.’ (John 13:34–35.) This love that we should have for our brothers and sisters in the human family, and that Christ has for every one of us, is called charity or ‘the pure love of Christ.’ (Moro. 7:47.) It is the love that prompted the suffering and sacrifice of Christ’s atonement. It is the highest pinnacle the human soul can reach and the deepest expression of the human heart. …

“The Savior has commanded us to love one another as he has loved us; to clothe ourselves ‘with the bond of charity’ (D&C 88:125), as he so clothed himself. We are called upon to purify our inner feelings, to change our hearts, to make our outward actions and appearance conform to what we say we believe. …

“Those who are filled with the love of Christ do not seek to force others to do better; they inspire others to do better, indeed inspire them to the pursuit of God. We need to extend the hand of friendship. We need to be kinder, more gentle, more forgiving, and slower to anger” (“A More Excellent Way,” Ensign, May 1992, 61–63).

Inspire instead of force. I like that a lot.

Here is another one. This is from the Ensign article on The Power of Patience (November 2006).

" First, “charity suffereth long.” That is what patience is all about. Charity “is not easily provoked” is another aspect of this quality, as is charity “beareth all things.” And finally, charity “endureth all things” is certainly an expression of patience (Moroni 7:45). From these defining elements it is evident that without patience gracing our soul, we would be seriously lacking with respect to a Christlike character.

In the Bible Job offers the classic portrait of patience. In the face of losing his vast empire, including his children, Job was able, because of his unfailing faith, to proclaim, “The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” Through all of his tribulation and pain, “Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly” (Job 1:21–22).

How often do we hear oppressed souls ask foolishly, “How could God do this to me?” when really they should be praying for strength to “beareth” and “endureth all things.”

The greatest scriptural examples of patience are found in the life of Jesus Christ. His long-suffering and endurance are best demonstrated on that excruciating night in Gethsemane as He uttered, in His atoning agony, “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt” (Matthew 26:39). He truly suffered and bore and endured all things.

While nailed to the cross on Calvary, Christ continued in His perfect example of patience as He uttered the singular words, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).

I never really realized the connection between Charity and Patience, but it makes perfect sence now. In a way charity is patience! This goes back to judging others. It is true, we judge others without even getting to know them.

One of my favorite movies is Inn of the Sixth Happiness based on the life of Gladys Aylward. Her approach was simply to love the people and serve them and by doing so changed the lives of many around her. She showed her faith not through proselytizing but by her actions. Something like Ammon in his service to the Lamanite king.

“Those who are filled with the love of Christ do not seek to force others to do better; they inspire others to do better, indeed inspire them to the pursuit of God. We need to extend the hand of friendship. We need to be kinder, more gentle, more forgiving, and slower to anger” (“A More Excellent Way,” Ensign, May 1992, 61–63).

A very good truth. Thanks for posting.

Lately, I'm learning a lot about charity. I'm not totally sure why this has been so spirituaully prominent for me over the last year, but nonetheless, I am learning everything I can.

I've posted about charity in the past, but I think it appropriate to repeat my opinion of true charity.

When I was 21 or so, and still a member, the class lesson was about charity. The teacher explained that, unless the person could give the charity anonymously, with no need for recognition, it was not true charity.

At the time, I did not know what he meant. In fact, I seriously disagreed with him. I understandably, given my own life experiences and youth, believed my charity should be acknowledged, thinking my "charity" would make my fellow members love me all the more.

Like I said, although I vehemently disagreed with the teacher, his lesson remained with me, and it took me years to understand what he meant. The day came where I had an epiphany, and his words were suddenly obvious and profound. In fact, I couldn’t understand why I hadn’t seen it before, as it made so much sense.

Although there are always necessary exceptions, I sincerely believe acts of charity must be given anonymously. The burden of receiving the charity should not include an insistence the person behaves in a manner the giver would expect. In other words, once I have given the gift, it is no longer mine, and the most I should hope for is that it enhances their lives; however, even if it does not, I am in no position to judge.

I've mentioned elsewhere how my mother is volunteering in a women's shelter, and she is constantly amazed at the gifts of charity those who run the shelter give so the women and her children can survive.

My mother, on her own, has even given some of these women enough money so they can get to a safe place. But she has done so anonymously, with no regard for how the women use her gift. She understands once she has given it, it is no longer hers.

I have no words to describe how proud I am of my mother. Her gifts of kindness to these women has forged a bond between her and I, because there is finally something we both agree on, and that is the true, and anonymous, gift of charity.

I know of a member of the board who understands the gift of charity, and who applies it when needed, and I am inspired by him.

To sum up, in my opinion, true charity is the letting go of the gift, with no expectations, and with no regard for how it is used.

In fact, I cannot conceive of giving a gift of charity and expecting anything back from anyone, including the recipient. My teacher taught me that.

Elphaba

"Charity Never Failith" no matter if it is done openly or quietly. For me, charity is and has always been a way of life. When I joined the church the Relief Society motto only confirmed I had been doing at least something right all those years before.

Joni

1 Corinthians 13

46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—

47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

Guest Username-Removed

More on what Elphaba said ....

Mathew 6: 1-4

1 TAKE heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

This is taken from the Ensign, June1992, First Presidency Message, “See Thou Tell No Man” By President Thomas S. Monson, Second Counselor in the First Presidency

“My thoughts turned backward in time—back to the Holy Land; back to Him who on that special mountain taught His disciples the true spirit of giving when He counseled, “Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them. … When thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth.” (Matt. 6:1, 3.)

Then, as though to indelibly impress on their souls the practical application of this sacred truth, He came down from the mountain with a great multitude following Him.

“And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

“And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

“And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man.” (Matt. 8:2–4.)

The word anonymous had a precious meaning then. It still has.”

“In the winter of 1982, a modern jetliner faltered after takeoff and plunged into the icy Potomac River. Acts of bravery and feats of heroism were in evidence that day, the most dramatic of which was one witnessed by the pilot of a rescue helicopter. The rescue rope was lowered to a struggling survivor. Rather than grasping the lifeline to safety, the man tied the line to another person, who was then lifted to safety. The rope was lowered again, and yet another was saved. Five were rescued from the icy waters. Among them was not found the anonymous hero. Unknown by name, he “left the vivid air signed with [his] honor.” (Stephen Spender, “I Think Continually of Those,” in James D. Morrison, ed., Masterpieces of Religious Verse, New York: Harper & Brothers, 1948, p. 291.)”

I have simplified charity to a point I can understand it. I used a familiar formula to break it down to simple terms.

You are all familiar with this:

Belief + Works = Faith

Now, there might be more to it, but that is the simplest way to understand faith.

I have altered it a bit to understand Charity.

Love + Works = Charity

I believe the most important things in the Gospel can be understood by adding works or service to them.

Humility + Works = Meekness

That we take action to love and serve is always the rest of the formula.

"In the winter of 1982, a modern jetliner faltered after takeoff and plunged into the icy Potomac River. Acts of bravery and feats of heroism were in evidence that day, the most dramatic of which was one witnessed by the pilot of a rescue helicopter. The rescue rope was lowered to a struggling survivor. Rather than grasping the lifeline to safety, the man tied the line to another person, who was then lifted to safety. The rope was lowered again, and yet another was saved. Five were rescued from the icy waters. Among them was not found the anonymous hero. Unknown by name, he “left the vivid air signed with [his] honor.” (Stephen Spender, “I Think Continually of Those,” in James D. Morrison, ed., Masterpieces of Religious Verse, New York: Harper & Brothers, 1948, p. 291.)”

I was intrigued by this man's astonishing courage, and discovered he had been identified. The following is from the Wiki reference:

"The passenger who had survived the crash and had repeatedly given up the rescue lines to other survivors before drowning was later identified as a 46-year-old bank examiner from the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Arland Williams Jr. The coroner determined that Williams was the only passenger recovered from the river whose body revealed that he had died from drowning rather than impact injuries suffered in the crash."

This man's charity weighs heavy on me. I know I could never have done what he did.

Elphaba