I ran across a blog where they mentioned that there wasn't clapping in LDS churches.

A bit more of a search and I came across the explanation that it wasn't considered reverent, although it was more of a cultural thing and they didn't ban clapping in some churches.

I'm just wondering if it's the applause/congratulations version or the whole clapping to a song thingy...where is the line drawn on what is reverent?

Secondly I came across another reference to how

clapping invited the spirits.

Does doing the wrong thing or not being reverent invite the wrong spirits? Is that a belief that LDS people hold?

Or do I consign this one to the myths about the LDS religion category?

Edited by WANDERER

Guest JHM-in-Bountiful

I've also wondered about the clapping issue. I've never told anyone this. Occasionally I'll use my thumb and index finger, on one hand , and do a silent finger clap. lol.

I'm born-and-raised LDS and have never heard clapping during a church service. Even during more casual church functions, like an Enrichment Night (Relief Society activity) if part of the program is of a spiritual nature (like a song with a strong religious theme) usually there will be no applause afterward. I've always heard/believed that it was to maintain reverence during something that's meant to cultivate the Spirit within those in attendance. It seems that within the LDS church reverence = silence so that people are not distracted from the message. I kind of prefer it too, since sometimes applause can get rather raucus, or drawn out, and also when you're talking about performances or talks, given that it's untrained members of the congregation doing them, I could see some negative feelings coming from someone getting a louder and/or longer applause than someone else.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks guys. So the reference to inviting spirits is more of a inviting the wrong feelings than a whole Xfiles kinda thingy.

Further looking brought up something else: that certain musical instruments weren't thought to be reverent. What is the perspective on that?

I think the instruments thing depends on the Bishop, though I'm sure most wouldn't considered a drum set to be reverent.

I've always wondered about the clapping thing, too. There's been many times where I've had to try very hard not to clap, especially after musical numbers and primary events.

Sometimes I just need to physically express my enthusiasm, enjoyment, and appreciation.

Well, we're not talking about silence in the BUILDING though. Someone announcing an engagement during church isn't typically doing it during the actual service, but perhaps out in the hall between classes, or in the classroom before the Sunday School/Relief Society/whichever has actually started.

You can clap in the building during more casual times, but during the actual religious service it's considered irreverent.

And my dad got to perform during Sacrament meeting playing on his guitar (about 20 years ago or so). Most Bishops won't allow that, but his Bishop just asked to listen to the song first, and approved it for playing in Sacrament meeting, since it didn't have a "rock" sound to it at all. And both my mom and dad played a duet on their Recorders (way back in the 70's! I wonder if anybody still plays those :lol: )

I've never heard a wedding or engagement announced during general announcements.

In Elder's Quorum it's met (in my experience) with friendly jeering and congratulations, not silence. I don't know how it is in Relief Society.

It's met with "Awwwwww's" and offers of services. ("I'll make your cake!" "Oooh, I'm your VT, I'll plan your shower!" and the like. ;) )

It's ironic. Pentecostal services are loud, drums are a central instrument, and we applaud aplenty. And yet, we are known for welcoming and currying the presence of the Holy Spirit. Sorta reminds me of a cute story:

A reverent reverend decided to broach a subject with his good friend, who happened to be a Pentecostal preacher.

"I just can't understand how come you folks carry on like you do. God ain't deaf, you know?"

"Yes," the Pentecostal preacher droned. "God ain't deaf. But, He ain't nervous, either!"

I completely admit that this may just be a result of "conditioning" (or, in other words, what I'm used to) but for me, I would have a hard time trusting the "Spirit" I felt in that kind of setting. Not that it's a bad Spirit, but I would question if it's the Holy Spirit. When I'm in a high-energy atmosphere like that, it's difficult not to feel my blood start pumping and my hands start clapping, and to start feeling warm fuzzy feelings about what's going on around me. Motivational events are often carried out this way, even when they're not religious, because they create this kind of effect. I would question if I wasn't just caught up in the spirit of the atmosphere, rather than the Spirit of the Lord.

But I admit to having never been exposed to that kind of high-energy atmosphere in a church setting, so, who knows how I would really react. :)

I don't think reverence and inviting the Holy Spirit are exactly the same thing.

A loud, upbeat Hymn that causes followers of Christ to come together in unity is a very wonderful way to invite the Spirit.

I wouldn't call it reverent...

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say that a quiet service is reverent, either. Reverence involves a bit of awe and recognition of the Lord. Sometimes people may be quiet for quiet's sake, rather than their appreciation of the Lord.

Nevertheless... I'm content with giving a loud, joyful "AMEN!"

Watch this video:

I can feel the Spirit listening to this. I have a rendition of it by the African Children's Choir that I love and have it under my Gospel playlist on my iPod.

I love to to praise and sing JOY to the Lord. I LOVE IT! I feel such wonder and thanks and absolute joy for Him, it seems only suiting!

Edited by VisionOfLehi

I've never heard a wedding or engagement announced during general announcements.

In Elder's Quorum it's met (in my experience) with friendly jeering and congratulations, not silence. I don't know how it is in Relief Society.

With Ohs and Ahs and gentle hand clapping. Same with announcements of pending childbirth and of the birth of children.

A reverent reverend decided to broach a subject with his good friend, who happened to be a Pentecostal preacher.

"I just can't understand how come you folks carry on like you do. God ain't deaf, you know?"

"Yes," the Pentecostal preacher droned. "God ain't deaf. But, He ain't nervous, either!"

Huh?

Guest JHM-in-Bountiful

One of my brothers knows how to play the bagpipes. This past february my step-mother passsed away. He wanted to play his bagpipes at the end of the funeral service. The bishop told him they were not allowed in the chapel. My brother then had some kind of smaller version of bagpipes. They were a bit quieter and were allowed to be played. At the grave site services he then played his bagpipes. He played "Amazing Grace".

I'm pretty sure it means God won't "jump" if you talk loudly to Him. He's not a jittery fellow.

A+ for comprehension. King David's dancing before the Lord in victory, was racous. It scandalized his wife, though God enjoyed it. Likewise, the initial outpouring of the Holy Spirit, on the Day of Pentecost, resulted in worship manifestations that, to on-lookers, seemed like drunken behavior. Yet, Peter stands, declares "This is THAT which was prophesied..." 3000 souls enter the Kingdom that day.

No, it doesn't have to be loud...but the Spirit is just as presence in joyful, exuberant praise as he is in the quiet hush of a silently praying household of faith.