Shaken Faith Syndrome by Michael Ash

gomspal

This is a book that will help strengthen one's testimony in the face of criticism and doubt. Michael Ash helps the reader to understand the anti-Mormon criticisms and attacks and gives logical explanation of answers to these attacks with help of modern discoveries that support the authenticity of Book of Mormon as translated ancient scriptures, its geography, the textual changes, and a lot more.

I suggest this book for reading for anyone who wants to add some knowledge to his/her testimony. I know testimony comes thru the witness of the Holy Ghost but to testify to people who criticize the church, you must have knowledge of what their attacks are and the answers to those attacks.

I just finished it this morning while I was on the bus.

Edited by gomspal

• 1 month later...

This is a book that will help strengthen one's testimony in the face of criticism and doubt. Michael Ash helps the reader to understand the anti-Mormon criticisms and attacks and gives logical explanation of answers to these attacks with help of modern discoveries that support the authenticity of Book of Mormon as translated ancient scriptures, its geography, the textual changes, and a lot more.

I suggest this book for reading for anyone who wants to add some knowledge to his/her testimony. I know testimony comes thru the witness of the Holy Ghost but to testify to people who criticize the church, you must have knowledge of what their attacks are and the answer those attacks.

I just finished it this morning while I was on the bus.

What are some of the so-called "anti-Mormon critisms" Mike identifies?

(Actually, I already know most of them as I've watched him write this book based on reactionary thinking at MADB. However, I do admit I've not read the book. But I've seen the "Shaken Faith Syndrome" discussed ad nauseum, especially by one or two fanatic members of MADB, who think they can spot a troll every time, but who, often, are wrong.

In fact, rarely does a member of MADB acknowledge a person is not necessarily an anti-Mormon if they just like to study the Church's history.

I would love to see a panel discussion between Ash and Bushman. Seriously, they would probably agree more than I would think, but then I think Bushman would can Ash a number of times as well.

Elphaba

Wow, nine pages and the thread has not been closed! Even Juliann was there swinging away at any perceived negative comment.

Oh dear, oh dear, I must make an apology.

The thread actually started on June 7, but I missed that. So my "feeding frenzy" description is completely inappropriate. It's been a steady, non-frenzied discussion, and I should have checked that before I wrote my post.

My sincerest apologies.

i would like to write about one of my favorite lines from the thread, when a poster wrote:

After perusing the chapter, I'm beginning to get the idea that the anti's don't think much of FARMS and FAIR.

I am sooo tempted to write: After perusing MADB, I get the idea that the apologists don't think much of Signature Books.

Okay, there's no rhythm to it, but it always surprises me when someone can see the one, but not the either, regardless of which persuasion.

Elphaba