Why do boys graduate Primary at 12 yrs?

The following is a summary of a blog posted by a Mormon historian who also occasionally writes Utah history articles for the Salt Lake Tribune:

The Primary organization originally included boys and girls from 3 to 14 years, but changed the age limits in 1913 (year the Scouting program became recreational program of Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association) so older boys (12-14 yrs) could attend scouting. Only later in 1950 did BSA start offering scouting to 11 yrs. Girls 12-14 remained in the primary organization till 1934 when they too were transferred to the MIA program.

Before reading the blog, I had assumed the 12 yr old limit was set by the age of ordaining a deacon. Apparently not. It came from the age a boy could originally become a scout.

So where did the 12,14,16 yr ages come from for the ordination of young men to the Aaronic priesthood offices? In Joseph Smith's day, I'm not aware of minor children being ordained to the Aaronic priesthood, so when the change?

Beginning in 1877, the Church established the current practice of ordaining boys to the Aaronic Priesthood at the ward level by age-group and priesthood office. Young men are generally ordained deacons at the age of 12, teachers at the age of 14, and priests at the age of 16. The bishop of each ward presides over the Aaronic Priesthood in the ward.

Beginning in 1877, the Church established the current practice of ordaining boys to the Aaronic Priesthood at the ward level by age-group and priesthood office. Young men are generally ordained deacons at the age of 12, teachers at the age of 14, and priests at the age of 16. The bishop of each ward presides over the Aaronic Priesthood in the ward.

Source? I'm just aching for more in depth information.

Priesthood advancement -- The First Presidency formally adopted the ages of 12, 15, 18 and 21 as ages for deacon, teacher, priest and elder advancement starting in 1908. The age was reduced for teachers and priests to 14 and 16, respectively, beginning in 1954, and the age for elders was lowered to 19 at about the same time. Seventies quorums in stakes throughout the church were discontinued in 1986.

I'm having trouble finding a more official source, but I'm reasonably sure this is true. The article I pulled this quote from is at:

LDS programs evolve over the years | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET

i was expecting a Wiki quote from our resident wiki expert!:lol:

The wiki article Aaronic priesthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't say a thing about the history or changes, but the source cited for the article Aaronic priesthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has a whole bunch of neat little tidbits.

Direct link to the source reference: Redirect URL

Maybe if I feel really motivated later I'll update the wiki article with some more historical details.

good job puf...but i was expecting a post from Maureen. lol

WHAT?! There's somebody else competing for the title of "Resident Wiki Expert"???

This can not be allowed to continue! I DEMAND A SHOW DOWN!

:edit:

PS

MorningStar, I think the question is less one of "why graduate primary at 12" and more of "why is the priesthood associated with age and primary graduation". I don't think anybody is going to argue that 12 is a good age (or perhaps even a bit too old) for graduating primary, but whether 12 is a good age for priesthood responsibility - especially as it's laid out in the D&C - might be a point of discussion.

Edited by puf_the_majic_dragon