Melchizedek Reading

Last Sunday my Bishop went over the requirements with me on the Melchizedek Priesthood. Today I was talking with some one and told him the Bishop talked with me about the Priesthood and he said he already knew about that. He said something about the Priesthood council or something have discussed me getting the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Anyway, I want to start reading about the responsibilities of the Melchizedek Priesthood. My Bishop told me once I get the Priesthood there is no going back. And, I must do all that the Lord asks and commands.

If Jesus was standing right beside me right now and asked me if I wanted the Melchizekek Priesthood I would say - Absolutely!

So, I'm looking for some deep reading on the Melchizedek Priesthood. What do you all recommend? What all in D&C do I need to read? Any good ensign articles on the Melchizedek Priesthood?

What should I be asking myself during the next few weeks before I meet with the Bishop?

Thanks!

First is Section 84 and 121. Go through both of those. Take them slow, the D&C isn't something that you can read through really fast! 84 talks about what the "Oath and Covenant" of the priesthood is. This is often not understood. But this is what you are signing up for! So understand it (I don't think I really did when I got the Mel priesthood before my mission).

I'm sure there are plenty of things on LDS.org that you can find. Here is one

LDS.org - Aaronic Priesthood Chapter Detail - Duties of the Elder and the High Priest

Or here

LDS.org - Topic Definition

But there is probably a lot more. Search through it, and see what grabs your attention.

One thing that might be interesting, that you don't hear at church much, is about how the Priesthood was restored.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods

Yes we know how the Aaronic Priesthood came about, but there is no first hand account of how the Melchizedek Priesthood was restored (we just know it was). This is a good read about what accounts we know of about the Melchizedek priesthood. Good stuff!

Last Sunday my Bishop went over the requirements with me on the Melchizedek Priesthood. Today I was talking with some one and told him the Bishop talked with me about the Priesthood and he said he already knew about that. He said something about the Priesthood council or something have discussed me getting the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Anyway, I want to start reading about the responsibilities of the Melchizedek Priesthood. My Bishop told me once I get the Priesthood there is no going back. And, I must do all that the Lord asks and commands.

If Jesus was standing right beside me right now and asked me if I wanted the Melchizekek Priesthood I would say - Absolutely!

So, I'm looking for some deep reading on the Melchizedek Priesthood. What do you all recommend? What all in D&C do I need to read? Any good ensign articles on the Melchizedek Priesthood?

What should I be asking myself during the next few weeks before I meet with the Bishop?

Thanks!

You go boy!

It is a blessing beyond measure and thus the Lord expects us to uphold our end of the bargain. Indeed, search on the church's website read all you can find. Congratulations

HoosierGuy: For me, having the Holy Priesthood was an awesome responsiblity and honor. Think about it for a moment. Having the authority to be an agent for God and to act in Gods name.

One of a Priesthood holders basic responsiblity and obligation is to teach the Gospel to those who have not yet heard it? So are you ready to accept that responsiblity? Are you ready to become saviors of men? Are you ready to perform service to God and your fellow man?

It is a holy calling! Are you ready to be an example to others. Are you ready to make holy covenants?

These are a few of the questions you need to ponder? We look forward to having you among the brethren.

Adding to those comments and further references for you, remember, you are on the road of perfection in following our Savior....your next step is your temple endowments and temple marriage. Congrats...

“None Were Greater”: A Restoration View of Melchizedek

in Ensign Feb. 1998 by Dennis A. Wright

...None Were Greater": A Restoration View of Melchizedek By Dennis A. Wright * Next > * < Previous ... None Were Greater': A Restoration View of Melchizedek," Ensign, Feb 1998, 30 Revealed scripture ... destiny was to receive in time the same priesthood power manifested earlier by the prophet...

The Name "Melchizedek": Some Thoughts on Its Meaning and the Priesthood It Represents

in Ensign Sept. 1980 by Gib Kocherhans

... Ensign >> 1980 >> September The Name "Melchizedek": Some Thoughts on Its Meaning and the Priesthood It Represents By Gib Kocherhans * Next ... Print * E-mail Gib Kocherhans, "The Name `Melchizedek': Some Thoughts on Its Meaning and the ...

The Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods

in Ensign Dec. 1996 by Larry C. Porter

...December The Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods By Larry C. Porter * Next ... Porter, "The Restoration of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods," Ensign, Dec 1996, 30-47 ... tell the manner, order, and pattern of priesthood restoration and indicate that the time ...

What Every Elder Should Know— and Every Sister as Well: A Primer on Principles of Priesthood Government

in Ensign Feb. 1993 by Boyd K. Packer

...Sister as Well: A Primer on Principles of Priesthood Government By Elder Boyd K. Packer Of ... Sister as Well: A Primer on Principles of Priesthood Government," Ensign, Feb 1993, 7 Because ... receive the fulness of the blessings of the priesthood without the sisters, it was thought the...

The Work of Our Priesthood Quorums

in Ensign Aug. 1984 by Joseph B. Wirthlin

...Ensign >> 1984 >> August The Work of Our Priesthood Quorums By Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin Of ... mail Joseph B. Wirthlin, "The Work of Our Priesthood Quorums," Ensign, Aug 1984, 8 I sometimes ... consequences of the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood that took place in late May ...

I Have a Question

in Ensign Jan. 1986

...Latter-day Saints support the doctrine of Melchizedek Priesthood authority from the Bible? James ... sometimes question the LDS doctrine of priesthood authority by citing two passages of scripture ... references to support the doctrine of the priesthood. Fortunately, however, because of modern...

The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood

in Ensign Nov. 1977 by Bruce R. McConkie

...1977 >> November The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood Elder Bruce R. McConkie Of the Council ... R. McConkie, "The Ten Blessings of the Priesthood," Ensign, Nov 1977, 33 Image We are ... from on high. We hold either the Aaronic Priesthood, which is a preparatory, schooling order...

The Doctrine of the Priesthood

in Ensign May 1982 by Bruce R. McConkie

...Ensign >> 1982 >> May The Doctrine of the Priesthood Elder Bruce R. McConkie Of the Quorum ... Bruce R. McConkie, "The Doctrine of the Priesthood," Ensign, May 1982, 32 Image My brethren of the priesthood: To all of you, to all holders of the Aaronic...

The Doctrine of the Priesthood

in Conference Report, April 1982 by Bruce R. McConkie

...The Doctrine of the Priesthood Priesthood Session April 3, 1982 The Doctrine of the Priesthood Elder Bruce R. McConkie Of the Quorum ... Bruce R. McConkie, A*The Doctrine of the Priesthood,A* Ensign, May 1982, 32 My brethren of ...

Blessings of the Priesthood

in Ensign Nov. 1995 by Robert D. Hales

...Ensign >> 1995 >> November Blessings of the Priesthood Elder Robert D. Hales Of the Quorum of ... mail Robert D. Hales, "Blessings of the Priesthood," Ensign, Nov 1995, 32 Image A few ... was in Santiago, Chile, participating in priesthood training meetings. In the Saturday meeting...

I Have a Question

in Ensign Mar. 1994

...our need to become familiar with them.) Priesthood ministrations such as an ordination, patriarchal ... children by bestowing on his worthy sons the Melchizedek Priesthood, "the Holy Priesthood, after ... Scripture affirms that Adam, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Melchizedek, Abraham, Moses, and others held this priesthood...

The Greater Priesthood: Giving a Lifetime of Service in the Kingdom

in Ensign Sept. 1992 by M. Russell Ballard

...Ensign >> 1992 >> September The Greater Priesthood: Giving a Lifetime of Service in the Kingdom ... -mail M. Russell Ballard, "The Greater Priesthood: Giving a Lifetime of Service in the Kingdom ... 163rd celebration of the restoration of the priesthood. I have been invited to speak on the greater...

Priesthood Restored

in Ensign Apr. 2004

...Latter-day Saints Ensign >> 2004 >> April Priesthood Restored * Next > * < Previous * Print * E-mail "Priesthood Restored," Ensign, Apr 2004, 18 Here are a few examples of the priesthood's worldwide influence--shared through testimonies...

The Key of the Knowledge of God

in Ensign Nov. 2004 by James E. Faust

...those who keep the oath and covenant of the Melchizedek Priesthood, will enable us to come off ... the sons of God. Image Brethren of the priesthood of God, I am again seated as I deliver ... imagine anything more important for us as priesthood holders to learn than the key of the knowledge...

The Ancient Covenant Restored

in Ensign Mar. 1998 by Robert L. Millet

...the Lord has given a dispensation of the priesthood to any man by actual revelation, or any ... papyri that the "grand Key-words of the Holy Priesthood" were "revealed to Adam in the Garden of Eden, as also to Seth, Noah, Melchizedek, Abraham, and all to whom the Priesthood...

Benjamin and the Mysteries of God

in King Benjamin's Speech: "That Ye May Learn Wisdom" by John W. Welch, Stephen D. Ricks

... the nature of priesthood and its relationship ... that Benjamin's priesthood played in that ... power of the priesthood, the Lord has said...

Dating the Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood

in Ensign June 1979 by Larry C. Porter

... >> June Dating the Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood By Larry C. Porter * Next ... Porter, "Dating the Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood," Ensign, Jun 1979, 5 Authors ... Kanesville, Iowa, about the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood. Reuben Miller, a convert of...

Edited by Hemidakota

HoosierGuy: For me, having the Holy Priesthood was an awesome responsiblity and honor. Think about it for a moment. Having the authority to be an agent for God and to act in Gods name.

One of a Priesthood holders basic responsiblity and obligation is to teach the Gospel to those who have not yet heard it? So are you ready to accept that responsiblity? Are you ready to become saviors of men? Are you ready to perform service to God and your fellow man?

It is a holy calling! Are you ready to be an example to others. Are you ready to make holy covenants?

These are a few of the questions you need to ponder? We look forward to having you among the brethren.

Ahmen to that brother!

• 3 weeks later...