Would you kill if God commanded you to?

DigitalShadow

I asked this question to an overzealous missionary a few months ago and without hesitation he responded 'Yes'. Another thread got me thinking about this again, and since I don't want to derail that thread I will start one of my own. I ask this question in all seriousness, and I don't want to hear answers like "Well he never would so it doesn't matter" because if the scriptures are true, he already has asked people to kill on multiple occasions and could very well again.

If you answer no, why not? Is your faith not strong enough to obey a commandment from God?

If you answer yes, how can you condemn other people who kill in God's name (most notably, the majority of terrorists)? You could justify it by saying "It's ok, because my God really exists", but that could be exactly what they are thinking as well.

This is not meant to be offensive, but to me it is a paradox of faith and morality which I ultimately resolved (personally) by concluding the religious faith is not a good thing for humanity. I know that nearly everyone here disagrees, which is why I am posing the question to you and want feedback. All thoughts are welcome even if you don't want to answer.

Edit: Forgot to add a poll for Yes, No options and it doesn't look like I can do that from an edit. If a mod has the power to do that for me, I would much appreciate it :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a question one might give a quick YES or NO to, without much thought... much like the overzealous missionary.

I know that I would unhesitatingly sacrifice myself should Heavenly Father ask it of me.

I would have a very hard time of it, if asked to take another's life. I do not know if I could do it.

I honestly don't believe he would ever command me to. Laban had to go so an entire nation would not dwindle in unbelief. These days, there is no one person with the power to make that happen.

Now days, with weapons available one person could conceivably kill thousands or even start a war killing hundreds of thousands. I would argue that even more can be damage can be caused by just one person these days.

What you ask is really a question about whether or not we will obey God. I personally am not too concerned about that particular command. However, if commanded, I would as others have said stage a protest and need more information than just a green light to go. And then I would need to pray for additional strength to follow thru.

I think the tougher challenges come in the more simple things. Being a member of this church, I have had lots of chances to obey when it didn't make sense or when it went against convention. The W of W is a key example. Will I give up coffee even tho so many other drink it and see nothing wrong? Will I live the law of chastity even tho he is really cute and says he loves me? Will I pay my tithing even tho the economy is bad and I was just let go from my job? Will I still pray daily even when I feel foolish or really would rather be sleeping?

I don't think I would be strong enough to do it. Even if presented with a very good reason why, I know deep down that I would refuse.

That sounds terrible, but i'm just being honest. I can only hope that heavenly father doesn't present me with such a choice, as I would hate to deliberately disobey him.

Guest HEthePrimate

Why on earth has He done so in the past? I'm not suggesting that this is on a whim or that there is no perceived reason behind it.

I'm not all that sure He ever has. I am aware of all the scriptures you can quote where God supposedly commands people to kill each other or even commit genocide. However, it seems to me that every time anybody goes to war or shoots doctors who perform abortions they think God is on their side--why would the Israelites be any different? Or the Nephites?

HEP

Now days, with weapons available one person could conceivably kill thousands or even start a war killing hundreds of thousands. I would argue that even more can be damage can be caused by just one person these days.

In light of human history, killing people has always been easier than controlling their beliefs.

Anyone can smuggle a BoM into China, but Laban was the only source for scriptures the coming Nephite civilization would need. Laban would have frustrated God's plan, had God allowed it. That situation just doesn't happen much any more.

LM

Guest HEthePrimate

In the case of Nephi getting the brass plates, couldn't Nephi have just made off into the wilderness with the plates without killing Laban? Laban was, after all, unconscious, and the desert is a big place--it would have been easy for God to direct Lehi and his family where to go in order to evade Laban if he gave chase. Is God so weak and lacking in imagination that the only way He can possibly bring the scriptures to the Lehites is to command Nephi to slay Laban?

We have already been commanded NOT to.

Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments are eternal gospel principles that are necessary for our exaltation. The Lord revealed them to Moses in ancient times (see Exodus 20:1–17), and they are also referenced in whole or in part in other books of scripture (see Matthew 19:18–19; Romans 13:9; Mosiah 12:33–36; 13:13–24; D&C 42:18–29; 59:5–13; 63:61–62). The Ten Commandments are a vital part of the gospel. Obedience to these commandments paves the way for obedience to other gospel principles.

Additional Information

The following review of the Ten Commandments includes brief explanations of how they continue to apply in our lives today:

1. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” (Exodus 20:3). We should do “all things with an eye single to the glory of God” (D&C 82:19). We should love and serve the Lord with all our heart, might, mind, and strength (see Deuteronomy 6:5; D&C 59:5).

2. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” (Exodus 20:4). In this commandment, the Lord condemns the worship of idols. Idolatry may take many forms. Some people do not bow before graven images or statues but instead replace the living God with other idols, such as money, material possessions, ideas, or prestige. In their lives, “their treasure is their god”—a god that “shall perish with them” (2 Nephi 9:30).

3. “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” (Exodus 20:7).

4. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8).

5. “Honour thy father and thy mother” (Exodus 20:12). This commandment remains binding throughout our lives and can be understood in several ways: We should honor our fathers and our mothers who are our ancestors; we should be grateful to the father and mother who provided our earthly bodies; we should honor those who raised us in the knowledge of the truth. Above all, we should honor our Heavenly Parents. The way we honor all these fathers and mothers is by keeping the commandments.

6. “Thou shalt not kill” (Exodus 20:13).

7. “Thou shalt not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14). In a latter-day revelation, the Lord condemned not only adultery, but “anything like unto it” (D&C 59:6). Fornication, homosexuality, and other sexual sins are violations of the seventh commandment.

8. “Thou shalt not steal” (Exodus 20:15). Stealing is a form of dishonesty.

9. “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Bearing false witness is another form of dishonesty.

10. “Thou shalt not covet” (Exodus 20:17). Coveting, or envying something that belongs to another, is damaging to the soul. It can consume our thoughts and plague us with constant unhappiness and dissatisfaction. It often leads to other sins and to financial indebtedness.

LDS.org - Topic Definition____

I wonder if I wouldn't ask God if there weren't another way.

I am reminded of Jean Valjean in Les Mis, when he had the chance to take the captive Javier into the alley to execute him and instead he fires into the air and sets his enemy free.

My grandfather served in the Navy during WWII and prayed to be stationed at a post where he would not be required to kill another man. He served thru out the war and never had to take a life.

I don't know why, but this thread made me think of a talk from the February 2007 Ensign entitled "My Ways Are Not Your Ways." It does not address this particular issue, but i thought it was really good. Maybe it was just the title.

Here's the link if you want to read it. LDS.org - Ensign Article - “My Ways Are Not Your Waysâ€

But what about Abraham? Samson? I'm sure we could drudge up plenty more examples. But you're already avoiding the assumption of the question.

Given that God commanded you to kill somebody, would you be able to follow that commandment?

Honestly? Right this moment I would have to say no. I don't think my faith is strong enough to be an Abraham.