The Harry Potter Books...

iamalighthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any moral issues with the HP books. Wouldn't a parent just need to explain to the kids that magic isn't real? (Not a parent, so not that up on these things)

As a nearly-middle-aged adult with a good grip on reality vs. fantasy, I enjoy HP. So do my husband, his brother, and their mother (all older than I am).

• 3 weeks later...

British swearing is so adorable.

Until you know what the rough American equivalent is...:eek:

Seeing that the consensus is that the Harry Potter books are harmless, I want to point out one thing I find most people who like Harry Potter don't think about. If someone has previous ties to loving the dark side of spirituality (like the Occult or various forms of Satanism), Harry Potter is probably too much. Part of its strong appeal- the intricacy of the world Rowling creates- is part of what might be a problem for some people. The Dark Arts (black magic) are explored in much more depth than other stories of the same vein (Wizard of Oz, Narnia, etc.), and although Rowling maintains a clear moral line between those who practice the Dark Arts and those who don't the material is still present, and can create a powerful attraction for those already weak to its allures.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched The Half Blood Prince movie tonight. My friends said, "I didn't like it and wanted my time back." He doesn't know what he's talking about! It was really good I thought.

Not having read all the books yet, it's my second favorite movie. It's a very close second to Prisoner of Azkaban. I went to the midnight showing last week to see it.

I enjoyed the movie, but as expected some of the nuances was lost, the whole Half blood Prince thread flopped around like a landed fish for its conclusion. Decent movie but I'd rather read the books. Of course excepting maybe the first book (possibly the second, its been a while since I've read them) it takes longer to read them than a night out at the movies.

Seeing the movie makes me want to reread them but as I'm not in possession of the books at this time that doesn't work.

I watched The Half Blood Prince movie tonight. My friends said, "I didn't like it and wanted my time back." He doesn't know what he's talking about! It was really good I thought.

I thought it was pretty good too :D

I took my daughter to it, thinking it might interest her more than the others and I was right. I was wrong about her reaction to what happened to Dumbledore. She never read the book and barely watched the movies but she got a bit teary (like me lol). On the plus side she wants me to read the next book to her so she can see the reasons why that stuff happened in the movie.

I saw the half blood prince a few days ago after work. The movie was good, but was ruined by a security guard trying to eject me from the cinema due to him believing I was trying to record it. Apparently my iPhone which I was holding on my lap throughout the film (it was on silent and I was waiting for a text message) looked like a camera. I had to explain that the iphone has no video recording ability and can only take static pictures.

I should point out that President Uchtdorf quoted the Harry Potter books at a recent fireside I was at.

I figure if an Apostle has read it, it probably isn't wicked. ;)

Stripped down, Harry Potter is essentially a story about good triumphing over evil, is it not?

I predict that Harry Potter will be a part of our LDS canon by 2012.

*Gasp!* Surely not before Twilight is canonized??

/me barfing

Guest dec2057

The Harry Potter first books were an amusing read and I enjoyed them. They weren't meant to be anything other than a fantasy book for readers and not to be taken seriously.

I didn't care for the last books in the series, though - the author lost her light hearted easy to read style and the books became dark and cumbersome.