my story and a question

deige

Hey everyone! Im brand new to this website and I'm so glad that I stumbled across it.

I'm 18 and I live in Salt Lake City,Utah. I was baptized when I was 15.

When my grandfather baptized me 3 years ago, he told me that it was his dream to be able to go to the temple with me. All of his 4 children had strayed from the church. He has 8 grandchildren. My 4 older cousins were on the right path, but then also strayed. He was so happy that I was following Heavenly Father's plan and he was excited to be able to confirm me and go with me to get my patriarchal blessing.

He was rushed to the hospital last night with chest pains and he is not doing too well. Im hoping that he will make it at least just a little longer. I'm meeting with the bishop tonight to see if i can finally get my temple recommend. I want to help my grandfather fulfill his dream before he passes away. please pray for us. :)

on a side note, i have a question about endowments. I have always been a little confused about when you get them. Is there a certain age or time?

i'm glad you understood what i meant, after i posted it i thought, that could sound cold.....not what i wanted at all.

i was always taught that you go to the temple, before a mission, getting married, or still single and making a large step in life (like a female friend of mine that was finishing school and headed off for a career and not married went). i don't know if that is a rule or just a tradition. like patriarchal blessings used to be for just before a mission only, then it was 16, now 12 yr olds are getting them. your bishop will let you know.

Being 18-years old and not serving in the military may have a problem when you visit the Bishop. However, there has been special circumstances that you have mentioned that the Bishop, through the Spirit, may prevail in allowing this special request. Before you attend that scheduled appointment, fast prior, make your prayers sincere and meaningful, and live as a missionary during that fast period. It will help to elevate the Spiritual awareness with you. Another issue, read and prepare to answers some direct questions.

The only hold I can see if allows you to by-pass any temple prep classes. However, congrats on being faithful and true to the Savior's gospel.

For further info concerning "Endowments" read LDS.org - Ensign Article - Endowed with Covenants and Blessings

Some further reading material: The Temple in Time and Eternity -- Sacred Temples Ancient and Modern

Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

in Ensign Aug. 1974

...dispensation stand as beacons. Washington Temple This "gem among temples," as it was called ... authorized its construction, is the 17th temple to be built by the Church. It is a seven ... reminder of the Gothic-designed Salt Lake Temple that is well known around the world as ...

The Purpose of Temples

in Ensign Jan. 1972 by David O. McKay

...First Council of the Seventy.) Kirtland Temple * For behold, I have accepted this house ... as he appeared and accepted the Kirtland Temple April 3, 1836. This vision was followed ... of Malachi's prediction. The Kirtland Temple was built in the infancy of the Church ...

Houses of the Lord

in Ensign June 1997 by Brad Westwood

...the Lord," Ensign, Jun 1997, 9 Though temple design and construction materials have ... The dedication of the St. Louis Missouri Temple this month brings to 50 the number of operating ... Church and marks more than 160 years of temple building by Latter-day Saints. When the...

Jesus and the Temple

in Ensign Apr. 1991 by D. Kelly Ogden

... Ensign >> 1991 >> April Jesus and the Temple By D. Kelly Ogden * Next > * < Previous ... E-mail D. Kelly Ogden, "Jesus and the Temple," Ensign, Apr 1991, 13 What was Herod's Temple like during the Lord's life? A look at ...

Finding Joy in Temple Service

in Ensign Oct. 1994 by LaRene Gaunt

...Ensign >> 1994 >> October Finding Joy in Temple Service By LaRene Gaunt Associate Editor ... * E-mail LaRene Gaunt, "Finding Joy in Temple Service," Ensign, Oct 1994, 6 With its ... ordinances and personal inspiration, the temple is a reminder to come unto the Lord. When...

Sacred Temples Ancient and Modern

in The Temple in Time and Eternity by Donald W. Parry, Stephen D. Ricks

... Subscribe from The Temple in Time and * Why does Alma 7:10 Search ... temples and * More temple ordinances. From the ... nature of temples and temple worship....

Christian Envy of the Temple

in When the Lights Went Out: Three Studies on the Ancient Apostasy by Hugh W. Nibley

...Christian Envy of the Temple ... Menu Christian Envy of the Temple Frequently Asked About the Institute ... From Our Christian Envy of the Temple Publications * The White Garment...

Modern Temple Worship through the Eyes of John A. Widtsoe, a Twentieth-Century Apostle

... BYU.EDU Maxwell Institute Books Modern Temple Worship through the ... Menu Modern Temple Worship through Frequently Asked ... Alma 7:10 Search Our Site from The Temple in Time and say that Jesus Authors...

Temple Blessings

in BYU Speeches 2005 by Robert D. Hales - 15 November 2005

...Back to Speeches Home Back to this item. Temple Blessings ROBERT D. HALES ----------- ... impressed to talk about the importance of temple preparation and of having an eternal perspective ... our mortal probation here on earth. The temple endowment blessings are as essential for...

Taking Temples to the People

in Ensign Mar. 2000 by LaRene Porter Gaunt

...Saints the precious blessings that come from temple work. "I thank the Lord daily for our temple," writes Gloria Palenske, who lives in ... ordinance worker in the Anchorage Alaska Temple. "A few weeks ago I stood in the temple...

Every Window, Every Spire "Speaks of the Things of God"

in Ensign Mar. 1993 by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel

...Ensign, Mar 1993, 7 When the Salt Lake Temple was finally dedicated after forty years ... ground-breaking ceremonies for the Salt Lake Temple on 14 February 1853. "I had on a pair of ... clock that morning. 2 What drew him to the Temple Block when he could have stayed home with...

The Temple Effect

in Ensign Feb. 2005 by Don L. Searle

...Saints Ensign >> 2005 >> February The Temple Effect By Don L. Searle Church Magazines ... Previous * Print * E-mail Don L. Searle, "The Temple Effect," Ensign, Feb 2005, 42-45 What happens in a community when a new temple is built? Members in the Lubbock, Texas...

A Day in Heaven

in Ensign Dec. 1991 by LaRene Gaunt

...gathered for an unforgettable day in the temple. The spires of the Washington Temple shone ... Fredericksburg Virginia Stake as they arrived at the temple on the morning of 3 August 1990. Stake ... morning light. Sharing this day in the temple with stake members was to be the climax...

The Doctrine of Temple Work

in Ensign Oct. 2003 by David E. Sorensen

...Ensign >> 2003 >> October The Doctrine of Temple Work By Elder David E. Sorensen Of the ... mail David E. Sorensen, "The Doctrine of Temple Work," Ensign, Oct 2003, 56-63 The temple ... been announced for a small addition to the temple in Manti, and Church leaders were asking...

The Unfolding Restoration of Temple Work

in Ensign Dec. 2001 by Richard O. Cowan

... December The Unfolding Restoration of Temple Work By Richard O. Cowan * Next > * < ... O. Cowan, "The Unfolding Restoration of Temple Work," Ensign, Dec 2001, 34 The Doctrine ... of the covenants and ordinances of the temple. "Thus saith the Lord God: I will give...

Prepare for Blessings of the Temple

in Ensign Mar. 2002 by Russell M. Nelson

... >> March Prepare for Blessings of the Temple By Elder Russell M. Nelson Of the Quorum ... . Nelson, "Prepare for Blessings of the Temple," Ensign, Mar 2002, 17 Each temple stands ... children, all of whom have been married in the temple. Our children and their companions have...

Introduction

...Asked About the Institute from The Temple in Time and Questions Subscribe ... religious symbols--the temple--which played ... The importance of the temple to the religious...

What a sweet and caring grandchild you are!!! You and your grandpa and your whole family are in my prayers. Whatever happens, I am sure your grandpa is so happy with your spiritual commitment and growth. You have made him proud, whether you attend the Temple together or not. You have been a special Blessing to him!

Typically, a young man "goes through the temple" (that is, he receives his endowment) at 19 years old, just before serving his mission. A young woman typically receives her endowment just before she marries or, if she serves a mission, just before she enters into her mission service. Older sisters can receive their endowment if they are still unmarried at a later age, or if their husbands are not temple-worthy. I assume that older, unmarried men who did not serve missions can also receive their endowment, but that is just my speculation.

You don't say if you're male or female. If you are a man, then men rarely or never receive their endowment earlier than a month or so before entering their mission service at 19. If you are a woman, then women rarely or never receive their endowment while very young (18-20) unless they are marrying in the temple. But these are just general observations. You really should talk to your bishop about this.

If you are a man, then remember that you need to be ordained an elder before you enter the temple. If you are not yet an elder, then talk to your bishop or stake president about taking that step.