Harry Potter

IntoGod33

Hi Everyone!

I have a question - don't know if it's silly or not.

A lot of Christians have a problem with the Harry Potter series because of it's focus on witchcraft and wizardry. What is the Church's general stance on this - if they even have one? I have an aunt who is Fundamentalist Baptist, and she actually called the entire family a few years ago and told us all that we can't give her children any Christmas gifts that have anything to do with Harry Potter. Don't you think that's a bit extreme?

I just started reading the series and I am hooked! I find it so magical and amazing. I don't see anything negative about it. I am 23, and an avid reader. I see why children are so attracted to this series and personally, I think anything that gets them excited about reading is great (as long as it is suitable for children, of course).

What are your thoughts?

Hi Everyone!

I have a question - don't know if it's silly or not.

A lot of Christians have a problem with the Harry Potter series because of it's focus on witchcraft and wizardry. What is the Church's general stance on this - if they even have one? I have an aunt who is Fundamentalist Baptist, and she actually called the entire family a few years ago and told us all that we can't give her children any Christmas gifts that have anything to do with Harry Potter. Don't you think that's a bit extreme?

I just started reading the series and I am hooked! I find it so magical and amazing. I don't see anything negative about it. I am 23, and an avid reader. I see why children are so attracted to this series and personally, I think anything that gets them excited about reading is great (as long as it is suitable for children, of course).

What are your thoughts?

They still carry them in Deseret Book, along with Eragon, and several other "magic" books. Sherri Dew is the CEO of Deseret Book and if the Church had any problem at all with those books, they'd 1) Tell us outright, 2) They wouldn't be on the shelves at Deseret Book any longer.

My former church was that of a Charismatic/Pentecostal nature. They were HUGELY against Harry Potter, they even had several book burnings organized. :eyeroll:. I spent several days in prayer chapel because my minister found out I owned the books. To this day I see nothing wrong with them.

I have yet to speak with any Mormons who have a problem with it, although i'm sure some exist.

I think they are good books, especially for children. I don't understand why some christians have a problem with Harry Potter, but will turn around and applaud "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". It contains themes of magic and witchcraft in it as well. I fail to see the difference.

Oh, I totally agree with these people who hate Harry Potter. No good Christians have ever written fantasy novels with magic in it.

Besides... Y'know... C.S. Lewis who was called by many the most passionate defender of Christianity in the modern day.

Oh, and J.R. Tolkien. Yeah. He was passionately Christian as well. I guess he wrote a lot of fantasy as well.

Okay, so they're completely wrong in saying Harry Potter is satanic. However, I do agree with her on one thing: It's up to her whether or not her kids have Harry Potter stuff. It's not going to kill them not to have it and it really is her decision.

Loudmouth? Harry Potter has NOTHING to do with the Golden Compass. Nothing. At all. Phillip Pullman wrote The Golden Compass.

J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. J. K. Rowling and not Phillip Pullman.

I have to be very careful in saying this because you said something as fact that is not. At all. And it's libellous: J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and Phillip Pullman wrote the Golden Compass. The Golden Compass is trash, but it's not trash because it's fantasy. It's trash because it's trash.

I think this is an issue of preference. It is a book.....a fantasy book and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the subject matter or with the story itself. Some people don't prefer it and if the reason that they cite is a religious one, then so be it. I don't think that something like this should be something the church should take a position. They have taught us the principles about the kind of entertainment we choose. I choose to be a HP fan and frankly was uplifted by much of the story -- even if it was in a world of witchcraft and wizardry. I found the idea fun and playful. I also felt the author wrote characters that valued family and friendship and honor and courage. I also thought she had a boatload of fun creating an alternate world. I also feel that my neighbor who feels the story is evil has every right to her opinion. As I do my right to believe she is missing the forest for the trees!

I also have enjoyed the operetta Sweeny Todd which is about a demon barber who slices peoples throats while the meat maid downstairs makes them into meat pies which causes her business to increase. It is morbid and halarious and surprisingly entertaining. Not to mention the musical 'Wicked', which has music that is absolutely wonderful and a theme that a lot of mormons could learn a thing or two from. I could list many other forms of theater and stories that I have enjoyed that don't exactly feel like a nursery rhyme and I am glad for having the experience and I still feel just as committed to Christ as I was before I saw them. And I will encourage my children to immerse themselves in the arts and to make the Spirit their guide as they do.

Edited by Misshalfway

It's a book that was adapted as a movie. The first book isn't bad: Pretty typical fantasy fare with a serious dislike of organized religion. That's fine. In the third novel, the main characters kill a person named God.

But besides that, it's just a derivative, poorly written piece of fiction.

I personally love Harry Potter. I can understand why some would hesitate at them though, they've gotten darker and more evil towards the end of them and it has a peculiar resemblence to the idea of Voldemort being like Satan and Dumbledore being like Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ. Whether JK Rowling meant for it to imply these ideas I don't know. But if you don't get too invovled with them and just look at them as a good read, it's not something you'll burn in Hell for reading. I promise.

I personally love Harry Potter. I can understand why some would hesitate at them though, they've gotten darker and more evil towards the end of them and it has a peculiar resemblence to the idea of Voldemort being like Satan and Dumbledore being like Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ. Whether JK Rowling meant for it to imply these ideas I don't know. But if you don't get too invovled with them and just look at them as a good read, it's not something you'll burn in Hell for reading. I promise.

What if you read them backwards, Kira? Plus, I love the new look in your pic. Did you cut your hair?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always enjoyed Harry Potter, but I gained a new appreciation and increased respect for them when I read "Looking for God in Harry Potter" by John Granger (no relation to Hermione), which discusses the various philosophical and religious themes in the books. He concludes that the books are actually very Christian through and through; the magic is merely a backdrop for the important ideas of the books.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Funkytown,

The next time you comment on a book, could you please issue a *spoiler alert* before you go giving the conclusion to the final outcome?

Forgive me if I'm a bit un-tempered right now, but I prefer to read things for myself and make my own decisions. I have read plenty of reviews that refer to the anti-religious stance that Pullman takes and non of them were so rude as to spoil it for those who may still opt to read it. Nothing personal, but even if you were my best friend I'd be slugging you in the shoulder right now for being so insensitive.

thanks!

(I don't think the bookstore will take back the last two volumes of a three volume box set!)

p.s. I wasn't real keen on book one, thought the daemons were stupid, but I still prefer to read the others for myself!!

Loudmouth? Harry Potter has NOTHING to do with the Golden Compass. Nothing. At all. Phillip Pullman wrote The Golden Compass.

J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. J. K. Rowling and not Phillip Pullman.

I have to be very careful in saying this because you said something as fact that is not. At all. And it's libellous: J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and Phillip Pullman wrote the Golden Compass. The Golden Compass is trash, but it's not trash because it's fantasy. It's trash because it's trash.

Hey Funky, I think you're misunderstanding LM, though he can say whether I am correct or not.

He's not saying Rowling did not write HP, or that Pullman, an avowed atheist, did not write Golden Compass.

I think his point is that if we accept the themes in the HP books, with magic, evil, a devil-figure (Voldemort), etc., then we should also accept the atheist themes, which are basically the same, in the Golden Compass series.

In other words, and again this is my guess, the characters in both books are similar, and are somewhat similarly received; however HP is not written by an atheist, but GC is.

Obviously I could be completely wrong, but I'm fairly certain LM understands they are two different series with two different authors.

Oh heck! Ask him! :P

Elphaba

LM, Please correct me if I am wrong.

Elphaba

Personally, I would rather have my kids read Harry Potter in school than those awful books my nineth grade teacher made us read! Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies! Horrible!

I loved Lord of the Flies in around ninth, maybe tenth grade.

However, if they had given us Heart of Darkness in ninth grade, it would have gone completely and totally and appallalling over my head. Frankly, I was in English Lit in college before I finally got it.

Elphaba

I loved Lord of the Flies in around ninth, maybe tenth grade.

However, if they had given us Heart of Darkness in ninth grade, it would have gone completely and totally and appallalling over my head. Frankly, I was in English Lit in college before I finally got it.

Elphaba

Both books are amazing pieces of literature, she should be thankful that her teachers were allowed to teach them in the first place. Some of the less cultured parents in our area had both books removed from the school library, along with other books like "The Giver" and "Oliver Twist".

I was the last class to have studied any of these books in school no thanks to some parents.