11 Steps to Putting Lord before Money and Getting out of Debt

ama49

Are you under the impression that you can't pay tithing unless you're LDS?

That's correct.
Then you are mistaken.

Top that off with I really would rather not pay money to a Church I do not officially belong to.

Well, that's a different matter entirely. You claimed that it "wouldn't work for [you]." It appears that what you really mean is that you're not willing to do it, not that it wouldn't work for you. Much different, indeed.

Since I am not a member giving money to the Church would be pointless.

This is true if your point is to give money to a Church of which you are a member. However, the article to which you were responding is titled 11 Steps to Putting the Lord before Your Money and Getting out of Debt, so I assumed you were taking the article at face value. Paying tithing is indeed a step toward putting the Lord before your money and getting out of debt, whether or not you are a member of the Church.

Investigators are not commanded to pay tithing.

Not directly. Rather, all children of God are commanded to join his kingdom by making covenants with him through baptism and following his commandments -- one of which is to pay tithing.

Well I'm not going to pay tithing. Not until I'm a member. I will not be a member until Social Security says my girlfriend and I can be married without losing any benefit monies. At this time we are barely making it and we need that income.

Besides I'm sure the Church doesn't need my money.

Well I'm not going to pay tithing.

Your tithe-paying is neither my business nor my interest. I was simply pointing out the logical inconsistencies in what you were saying.

I will not be a member until Social Security says my girlfriend and I can be married without losing any benefit monies.

Others have scrimped and saved for many years, only to spend it all on a single trip to the temple to be sealed. They have showed their Father in heaven that they care not at all for money, except for how it can help them get what they really want. And what they really want isn't money. You might wish to consider this when doing your calculations.

Proverbs 4:7: "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

Besides I'm sure the Church doesn't need my money.

I'm quite sure you are right. This isn't about what the Church needs.

Others have scrimped and saved for many years, only to spend it all on a single trip to the temple to be sealed. They have showed their Father in heaven that they care not at all for money, except for how it can help them get what they really want. And what they really want isn't money. You might wish to consider this when doing your calculations.

You seem to assume that we could get by without the Social Security benefit monies. We can not.

That was great. I have a lot of guilt over the credit card thing. We used to pay it off every month, but then all these medical things happened, gas went up, cars broke, and it seemed like there was no other way to cover what we needed. :( Ever since this job change, our finances stink. Now a quarter of our money goes to our health insurance, another quarter to gas, and the rest goes towards bills. We don't have cable or cell phones and I thought about dumping Internet, but we need it for work so we can make money to pay bills. Ugh.

You seem to assume that we could get by without the Social Security benefit monies. We can not.

On the contrary, Kona, I make no assumptions whatsoever, except that obedience is always better than disobedience.

Your business is just that, and I won't pretend to know your situation better than you do. But neither will I admit that failing to obey God's commandments is ever the best course of action. I believe the opposite.

Kona, this shows right here the defectiveness of our society. We do not support families. Unless it's income tax time and you have children. But even then that only works for married couples. If you're a single parent family you get no extra money, which really sucks. What if your spouse died? >.<

I'm sorry for your situation, I've known of many like it. It's awful. I hope that something will happen for you and your g/f so you CAN get married.

I know you can't pay tithing but instead of paying tithing, once in a while, when you are grocery shopping donate a dollar to a charity fund. I know that Safeway often has charities going on. Then you are giving something monetarily for the betterment of your fellow man.

I know you can't pay tithing but instead of paying tithing, once in a while, when you are grocery shopping donate a dollar to a charity fund. I know that Safeway often has charities going on. Then you are giving something monetarily for the betterment of your fellow man.

I gave money to some charity yesterday through Safeway. I'm hoping we get married soon to. 9 dollars an hour at Walmart pays most of the bills but not all.

I'm pretty sure you CAN'T pay tithing to the Church unless you're a member, as the blessings that come from it are closely tied to membership.

Sure you can. Tithing means giving a tenth to the Lord. You can pay 10% of your increase to the kingdom of God even if you are not a member of that kingdom. I have known several people who have done so.

Sure you can. Tithing means giving a tenth to the Lord. You can pay 10% of your increase to the kingdom of God even if you are not a member of that kingdom. I have known several people who have done so.

To the LDS Church? Or to different churches? Because one of the penalties associated with Excommunication from LDS is that you cannot p ay tithing, and thus not reap the blessings for doing so.

Excommunication. Big word. Yet it means nothing to me. If I became a member and became excommunicated I would still go to service if I wished. The Church would not run my life.

Being excommunicated does not ban your from attending Church services.

What does it do then?

You lose your Church membership and the blessings that go with it until such time that the repentence process has been completed. Once that is done you can then look at being rebaptized to regain your Church membership.

Heavenly Father wants us to go through that repentence process. Why would HE ban us from services when that is something that would help with that process? That doesn't make sense to me.