Common Thread in Religions?

Moksha

I think so. I read a book called Religions of the World: A Latter-day Saint View by Spencer J. Palmer and Roger R. Keller. It took a look at all the religions of the world from an LDS perspective. Boy, that was redundant! Anyway, i really liked it. :)

You can find it at ldscatalog.com. It looks like they have a revised and enlarged version from the one i have for $19.50.

Edited by Connie

If God exists and man was once in fellowship with Him, then all religions will carry somethings that in no matter how small a way still have some inkling of that original relationship.

Although for some reason your post did bring to mind a poem be a guy named "Steve Turner" I will quote two small sections, its called "Creed"...

We believe that all religions are basically the same,

at least the one that we read was.

The all believe in love and goodness.

They only differ on matters of

creation sin heaven hell God and salvation

We believe that each man must find the truth

that is right for him

Reality will adapt accordingly.

the universe will readjust. History will alter.

We believe that there is no absolute truth

excepting the truth that there is no absolute truth.

We believe that everything is getting better

despite evidence to the contrary.

The evidence must be investigated

And you can prove anything with evidence.

We believe that after death comes the Nothing

Because when you ask the dead what happens they say nothing.

If death is not the end, if the dead have lied,

then it's compulsory heaven for all

excepting perhaps Hitler, Stalin, and Genghis Khan.

And the poem ending LOL:

We believe in the rejection of creeds,

and the flowering of individual thought.

Some things to think about. Thanks for sharing Anthony.

Wisdom from Alma 29:8

For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

All good teachings from all parts of the world come from the Lord. That does not make them comprehensive or absolutely correct, because apostasy from truth is not a uniquely Christian phenomenon. However, it means that all good comes from God, and all religion that teaches correct principles had a beginning with God.

We all have within us the image of God. And yes, most religions teach some form of the Golden Rule. On the other hand, Jesus claimed to be the only way to the Father, and he called the right way a narrow and difficult path.

So, while there are common themes in most religions, they do not unite the faiths. The remains a single right way, and so many wrong ones. It is my contention, though, that the right way is not a religion, but a person--Jesus.

I believe that God has enlightened many through out the ages. I do believe that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. But I do see wisdom and truth about subjects other than Salvation, in these various religions. I took a world religions class in college and was impressed by the similarities in different groups. It makes me wonder if the truth that was given to Adam and Eve was changed because of countless different forces and influences.

I believe there is. It is unfortunate that many religions do not recognize this.

I thought President Hinckley's "Come and take some of our good..." (paraphrase) was beautiful and timely.

One of my favorite books is "Being Peace" by Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. (A Vietnamese monk living in exile in France.)

Jon

Yes, indeed. And if you're brave enough (or have the spirit with you) and look into the world's mystery traditions, there is much more to see. You will have to also discard much error, but for me the treasures were worth it.

HiJolly

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a common thread of wisdom and goodness that runs through all religions and unites them?

I would view it more in the plural sense as in thread(s).

Believe in a higher power/influence

Believe in prayer

Kind to another or others

Family

Obediance to certain principles/commandments

Blessings from above - predicated on obediance

After death location

Is there a common thread of wisdom and goodness that runs through all religions and unites them?

The question that I think comes to us through out history is - why do those that follow traditions fear (and sometimes hate) to improve them.

The Traveler

i believe so...before i joined the church, i studied many different religions searching for truth, and found the most truth, at the time, in a jain ashram (jainism is from india..but a bit different from hinduism) where i lived for 10 years...but i have loved jesus since childhood ( the only one in my family to be spiritual) and i learned great meditation techniques...and had many great experiences....and it all reinforced my relationship with jesus...strange as that might seem...it's true..then i found the lds church and what atrracted me to it most was how similar it was to what i learned about spiritual practice at the ashram.....take my experiences for whatever threy're worth to you

I suppose the common thread in every religion would be a belief in God, an invisible supreme Creator. For Christians that would expand to a belief in Jesus Christ as well.

Can we feel united in those beliefs and celebrate them rather than focus on differences in doctrine and understanding?

I suppose the common thread in every religion would be a belief in God, an invisible supreme Creator. For Christians that would expand to a belief in Jesus Christ as well.

Can we feel united in those beliefs and celebrate them rather than focus on differences in doctrine and understanding?

My pastor once suggested the existence of a demon named "Allah" who has decieved millions of Muslims that Jesus was not God. I don't think Christians can really feel "united" with non-Christians. Christians are part of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27), united with other Christians...

--Erik

My pastor once suggested the existence of a demon named "Allah" who has decieved millions of Muslims that Jesus was not God. I don't think Christians can really feel "united" with non-Christians. Christians are part of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27), united with other Christians...

--Erik

Fair comment Erik, I can't fault that.

Probably the best attitude for individuals who care is to try to think of everyone as a brother or sister because we are all (in the LDS view) literally spirit children of the same Heavenly Parent. Or try to think of everyone from God's point of view, a son or daughter whom He loves dearly and wants to bring Home to Him. He is no respecter of persons, we are commanded to love everyone as ourselves.

Tough task though admittedly because it sometimes seems so darned hard to even like some people. :-)

i believe so...before i joined the church, i studied many different religions searching for truth, and found the most truth, at the time, in a jain ashram (jainism is from india..but a bit different from hinduism) where i lived for 10 years...but i have loved jesus since childhood ( the only one in my family to be spiritual) and i learned great meditation techniques...and had many great experiences....and it all reinforced my relationship with jesus...strange as that might seem...it's true..then i found the lds church and what atrracted me to it most was how similar it was to what i learned about spiritual practice at the ashram.....take my experiences for whatever threy're worth to you

That's awesome. Worth a lot to me, but then, I'm a bit of a mystic. Thanks for the comment.

HiJolly

--Erik

I have found it quite easy to unite with other mystics, be they Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jewish or Occult. You just have to seek common ground, and it's amazing how much comes together. I even know of an atheist mystic, as contradictory as that sounds. Perhaps "deistic" would describe him better, but he uses the word atheist.

HiJolly