? about my calling ?

Michael,

Congratulations on your calling! I loved serving in the elder's quorum presidency. You have the opportunity to do a lot of good for your quorum members. Here are my suggestions:

1. Ask your president what he wants to accomplish.

2. Don't be afraid to suggest things to him. For example, home teaching is a top priority in an EQ presidency, so you might suggest some in-quorum training or other measures to improve home teaching.

3. Follow the president's lead, but don't be afraid to talk with him if you have concerns. You are a counselor. Counsel him.

4. If you are given a home teaching district (typically a third of the quorum will be assigned to report HT results to a presidency member each month), get to know your district members and take opportunities every Sunday and throughout the week to encourage them.

5. If you are not given a home teaching district, suggest to the president that he divide up that responsibility.

6. Be an example in every aspect of your life, starting with your home life. Make sure you are always 100% as a home teacher. (Seriously, home teaching is vitally important.)

7. Seek to help the quorum instructors know what they need to address and how. Suggest quorum lessons and give ideas for presentations at your presidency meetings. Volunteer to teach a lesson every month or two, if appropriate, and model how you want the quorum taught.

8. In public or in front of ward members, refer to your president as "President" or "President Jones" rather than "Bob". Yes, we all know he's a close friend and that you go fishing together every Friday, but his calling is an important one and you can help to encourage respect toward that calling by showing respect toward him in your address. Remember that there are typically only four men in a ward that hold Priesthood keys of leadership. He is one of them.

MykDiver-

My counsel would be to support the E.Q. Presidency. Sometimes you may not agree with one or more, but once the decision is made, then is the time to put those differences behind, and throw your efforts towards supporting the decision.

I am a large fan of the "Return and Report" method of delegating. I have found that when people know that their leaders show interest in their actions and that they will be asked to report on their assignment whether it be Home Teaching, Service Projects, or giving someone a special asingment, I believe the chances for success or greater using the R & R method. It will also help not only you to grow, but those whom you delegate a paticuliar action of service, etc. .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, i grew up in that ward. I'm Phil Stanek and my dad still goes to that ward. Did we know you? Glad your doing well and Since your in the Elders Quorum, i know exactly how the program works. I wanted to explain it somehow over the internet and was trying to figure out the best way to teach this lesson. I find it the most important lesson in the world.

Adding to what is already given:

The Effective Elders Quorum

in Ensign Apr. 2005 by Dale E. Miller

The Effective Elders Quorum By Elder Dale E. Miller Of the ... E-mail Dale E. Miller, "The Effective Elders Quorum," Ensign, Apr 2005, 30-33 The fourth ... ). Modern scripture also indicates that elders are to be "standing ministers" (D&C 124)

http://www.oscardevaux.com/HC%20Training%20Materials/G%20The%20Effective%20Elders%20Quorum.pdf

SoulCast - LDS Daily Gems - Learning and Magnifying Your Calling

LDS Living Magazine - Young Men Lesson 21: The Role of the Quorum