Lesson learned

Marsha

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on

a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing

him how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad.”

"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.

"Oh yeah," said the son.

"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered:

"I saw that we have one dog and they had four.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have

fields that go beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us; they

have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, "Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are."

***author unknown ***

The father can probably get his point across better by taking his kid to a soup kitchen or a police precinct in an inner city. That's where you see the addictions and destructive character traits that create poverty. That's where he could expose his kid to what happens when you take the father out of the family. That's a good way to teach about the evils of multigenerational welfare.

It's a nice story and all, but the father failed miserably by taking his kid to a self-sufficient intact family in order to demonstrate poverty.

LM

Here is what you can do. Find where the homeless gather. On the day after Thanksgiving, while you are still full of turkey and all the trimmings, take your family and set up a table and bbq and cook up a couple of hundred hamburgers and hot dogs, have some chili and apples and oranges to give out and share of your prospertity. If you pay for it all yourself it might cost $300. If you ask for donations it could cost your time.

That way you can teach your children, even when you don't live in a big McMansion or have designer clothes, you can teach them that they live in a much better situation that others and should appreciate everything they have.

We have done this for the last few day after Thanksgiving and it gives us even more to be thankful for.

Ben Raines

Ah...I thought poverty was the result of not having very much money and generally related to not being able to find employment.

Yes, this misconception is generally believed among the well-intentioned naïve, and has long been the guiding belief for welfare policy in the US. Experience has shown, however, that many people who lack money and can't find easy employment still manage to lift themselves from poverty, while others with as much or more opportunity simply do not.

Intact family and home life, coupled with a strong work ethic and good moral foundation, seem to be the keys in lifting the masses out of poverty. The "money and jobs" mantra is more a political ploy for gaining votes than anything else.

Edited by Vort

Ah...I thought poverty was the result of not having very much money and generally related to not being able to find employment.

I grew up thinking that too. I really do suggest you visit a soup kitchen, and sling some slop onto the trays of folks that come through your line. Look them in the eye, and talk to them if you get a chance. It will surely be a humbling experience and bring you closer to God, but it might also open your eyes a little to the realities of folks in this situation. Ask yourself what you have that these folks do not - you'll find a few more things than just money and employment.

I know a lady with a very gifted child - talented beyond belief. Blows standard developmental milestones out of the water. This lady does work with the homeless, and tells me it is fascinating how many of them demonstrate the same gifted traits her kid posesses. There are some incredibly bright and gifted people on the streets. People who, if they could overcome their issues, could easily find jobs making 2X or 3X what I'll ever make.

Stuff to think about.

LM

I think it's caused in some cases by an inability to access things and/or a lack of skills.

This is different from what you said before. I happen to agree with this. Those who find themselves in such a position can often do something about it.

The definition is a lack of money, not the cause.

I think you're forgetting what you wrote:

We weren't discussing the definition of poverty; we were discussing its causes.

That's fine Vort......perhaps it's a language difference, sometimes I come across very subtle ones that lead to my misunderstanding (Oz). You can have money and still have poverty...therefore not having food or other resources wouldn't be a result of a lack of money, but a choice on what you spent it on. This happens.

But...

The last time someone said they were too poor to take their family on vacation the only assumption I made was that they didn't have the money...not that their family life was on the rocks, they were too lazy to work hard enough and that they had poor morals. I'd like to think that when I look people in the eye they see someone that doesn't look down on them...poor or not. Actually I wouldn't care if their family life was on the rocks...bad things can happen to good people. That's not to say that poor life choices don't contribute to poverty...but it's not always the case.

Edited by WANDERER

I remember when growing up other kids thought we were "rich." By the standards then I suppose we were. We lived on a lake, had income property (5 houses) I had my horses and a nice home. But we really wern't rich. We got new clothes just before the school year started, my Mother was great at stretching a dollar. We always had enough on the table for one or two "extra" people, friends. There were 7 of us. We all helped out. While they knew that my father was a police officer, they didn't know that the local store put their shoes out back for him, the ones that were displays. Also some clothes. The local bakery set out a tin can (like popcorn comes in) every morning of the day old donuts. (true) Yep cops love their donuts. LOL

We were rich in love and family.

When my kids were growing up I would hear, "Johnnies got a bigger house. Freds parents have an inground pool. Sammies dad just got a new car. Wow they must have a lot of money.

I would tell them that we had much of the same, a smaller house but paid for, a blow up pool and a good used car. But we don't have the monthly payments they do. We have love in our home. That is way better.

Now Freddie and Sammie still rely on their parents for help. Johnny has been in and out of trouble while mom and dad bail them out.

I am thankful that we were "poor" in their eyes. (my kids) There isn't a day that goes by that both of my kids call and tell me that they love me and thank you. I have a beautiful grandson (my avitar) We help each other out when needed and don't expect anything in return.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you to my kids for allowing me to be a mother to you and be in your life forever.