Mylar Bag Sealer

bayoumom

I tried ordering a mylar bag sealer for myself and got a response that they are on backorder from ldscatalog (they don't know when they will get any in).

My question is does anyone know if it's okay to use my FoodSaver machine to seal the mylar bags. I tried it and it 'seems' to have a good seal. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any information about whether or not it will hold. I still plan on putting the oxygen absorber in the bag even though the FoodSaver will draw air out.

Bayou Mom

Set it to the "wool" setting. It is inexpensive and works great! It doesn't hurt the iron, either, but if you're concerned about it, you can get an old iron at a thrift store.

I tried my Foodsaver to seal the mylar bags (5 gallon pail liners) but the bag was so wide that it was kinda awkward. But I know of some people who do that. One of the disadvantages to using the Foodsaver is that the seal created is pretty narrow. I felt better about having a wider seal.

Thanks for the info regarding the iron making a good seal on the mylar bags. I have a few big bags of food to put into the mylar bags, don't know if I'll get to it this week or not. I am trying to find places to put food in the house before I haul it in from the garage.

I just watched a video of a lecture given by Wendy DeWitt in Arizona and am inspired to do more.

I just watched a video of a lecture given by Wendy DeWitt in Arizona and am inspired to do more.

Is that the one where she tells you to use lots of bay leaves "to keep the bugs away?" If so, a good video, but the bay leaf is completely unnecessary. The food is in mylar bags and in a plastic bucket; why on earth does she think that bugs will get in?

If you're really worried about bugs, put some Diatomaceous Earth in with the food. It kills anything that might hatch after packing. (But the Oxygen absorbers should make it impossible for them to live anyway.) But skip the bay leaves and spend the money on storage food instead.

If you're really worried about bugs, put some Diatomaceous Earth in with the food. It kills anything that might hatch after packing. (But the Oxygen absorbers should make it impossible for them to live anyway.) But skip the bay leaves and spend the money on storage food instead.

Read this before you start putting Diatomaceous Earth in with edible foods!!! Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diatomaceous Earth is used in gardening but it only works on soft bodied bugs. Like slugs and grubs etc. Wouldn't bother a weavil at all. Weavils are hard bodied.

The reason I use the Food Saver VACUUM sealer is it vacuums the air out of the bag and leaves only the food product. Resealing a mylar bag with an iron doesn't remove the air.

Read this before you start putting Diatomaceous Earth in with edible foods!!! Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diatomaceous Earth is used in gardening but it only works on soft bodied bugs. Like slugs and grubs etc. Wouldn't bother a weavil at all. Weavils are hard bodied.

The reason I use the Food Saver VACUUM sealer is it vacuums the air out of the bag and leaves only the food product. Resealing a mylar bag with an iron doesn't remove the air.

Thanks for the bit about the weevils...I was unaware of that.

Resealing a mylar bag after putting oxygen absorbers in it will remove the oxygen, and it will create a vacuum. Same effect as if you had used your vacuum sealer. Anything that removes the oxygen will create a vacuum.

• 1 year later...

I've already put 5 twenty five pound bags of beans in these 7mil bags with no signs of the oxygen being removed. I've used half of my mylar bags and the oxygen absorbers were new and they are good.

So now I'm wondering if beans require the oxygen to be removed to be good for long term storage. I'm very frustrated about this because I've done alot of research and spent a lot of money getting ready to do this.

I've searched and searched for a vacuum sealer for the mylar bags that aren't going to require a second mortgage on my house to buy it and so far I haven't had success. I've tried several tricks to get the seal a meal to vacuum the mylar with no success.

Right now I'm not feeling very positive about this whole thing.

What do you think I should do about my beans? Thanks

Sorry, I thought I was posting this on another thread. I hope it's okay to be here.

Edited by yorkiebeebs

• 2 weeks later...

Although I really hate to spend the extra money, I have actually started buying cans of dried beans from the cannery. They're not all THAT expensive, considering everything. And there is no hassle. You stack the box in a corner.

Yorkie, how long were you planning on your beans for storage? Did you want to put these in the back for 10 years, or are they just a year's worth?

Yorkie, how long were you planning on your beans for storage? Did you want to put these in the back for 10 years, or are they just a year's worth?

I'm trying to store them in an amount that are available for use when I want them for soup or some other dish and also for long term storage.

Since I can't find an affordable vacuum sealer that works with mylar bags, I am going to open all of my bags. I will put two oxygen absorbers in them instead of one and seal them up and stop worrying about them.

The crazy thing is that these are good oxygen absorbers and one is supposed to go in the gal can. My bags are cut down to a size that holds only two cups. One of these oxygen absorbers should be more than enough.

I am a little ocd when it comes to something like this and it really bothers me when I can't make things happen the way I think it should.

I'm sure the bags don't suck in. I know someone else here said they did, but I'm sure they don't. The oxygen is absorbed, but that doesn't vacuum the air out.

I have a lot of beans in 1/2 gallon jars that I've sucked the air out of, but the glass is heavy and runs the risk of being broken. I'm not sure I'd recommend that for someone else. I know I won't do any more that way.

I'm sure the bags don't suck in. I know someone else here said they did, but I'm sure they don't. The oxygen is absorbed, but that doesn't vacuum the air out.

I have a lot of beans in 1/2 gallon jars that I've sucked the air out of, but the glass is heavy and runs the risk of being broken. I'm not sure I'd recommend that for someone else. I know I won't do any more that way.

Maybe I don't need to open them up then. I have other bags of beans and rice to store and now I'm a little afraid to do it. I have all the supplies but it would be a bummer to spend all the money and find out that they were not done correctly.

I found out that our group is scheduled at the cannery on the Oct 25th and I plan to can as much as I can afford. I keep trying to get to the cannery on the one day of the week that it's open to the public to purchase but it doesn't seem to work out.