Remove Beer Commericials from NCAA Games!

Bethie

Remove Beer Commericials from NCAA Games!

This is a much needed campaign and about time, in my opinion. I am for free speech and a free market, but it is a fact that alcohol abuse can kill and often leads to other serious and deadly drug abuse, especially in teens. Beer commercials should be removed from televised college sports advertising. What is your opinion?

In the News:

Utah colleges pushing for ban on beer commercials

- PROVO - College officials in Utah are among those calling for an end to beer commercials during televised NCAA sporting events. Representatives from Brigham Young University, University of Utah, Utah State and Southern Utah have signed letters urging the ban. The effort is called the Campaign for Alcohol-Free Sports TV. So far 60 Division 1 college presidents, 240 athletic directors and 101 football and basketball coaches have signed letters. Advertisements for cigarettes, guns, nightclubs and gambling are already prohibited college sporting events.

Pressure Grows to Expel Beer Advertising from NCAA Basketball and Football

College Presidents, Athletic Directors, and Coaches Appeal to NCAA

Day of Praise

I think it's okay to advertise beer in NCAA games. It's not my choice, but we aren't the majority. If we're going to say alcohol abuse can kill, we have to say that vehicular abuse can kill - More teens die to car accidents than alcohol poisoning.

If it's the addictive quality, you have to avoid World of Warcraft advertisements, television ads and anything someone might find offensive or dangerous. What's worse is that this ad specifically shows Utah universities and doesn't show -any other universities- joining in on the ban.

We are a peculiar people, but we want to be a peculiar people because we -choose- to be different, not because we force our beliefs on other people.

I think it's okay to advertise beer in NCAA games. It's not my choice, but we aren't the majority. If we're going to say alcohol abuse can kill, we have to say that vehicular abuse can kill - More teens die to car accidents than alcohol poisoning.

And alcohol is responsible for a huge percentage of those fatal accidents.

Do you really think that alcohol poisoning is the major danger of alcohol?

I know of a sweet 16 year old boy who due to peer pressure and curiousity got into drinking and then moved on to hard drugs. He is now in recovery due to many prayers, a tough abuse recovery program and a return to his orginal 'clean' teenage friends. He loves sports. He is a huge football fan. I just don't see why he has to be bombarded with beer commercials when he watches tv football games. I know he has to face his temptations and cravings and have the strength and commitment to

go past them. But really why must he be faced with "in your face" commercials promoting what could potentially lead to a relapse in his recovery?

Smoking commercials were finally taken off tv, but only after millions had died from smoking. It shouldn't have to be that way. I understand football can only continue to broadcast on tv with profits made from advertising, but couldn't they get profits just as easily from advertising sporting equipment or deoderant or something less enticing and deadly for many teens?

I'm glad this campaign to end beer commercials on televised college games has started. And its not just here in Utah:

"This week, 60 Division I college presidents, 240 college athletic directors, and 101 football and basketball coaches from around the nation urged the NCAA and its president, Myles Brand, to end beer advertising on NCAA sports telecasts. Since 2005, more than one-third (358) of the colleges in the NCAA have endorsed a "College Commitment" pledge to eliminate alcohol advertising in televised college sports."

Pressure Grows to Expel Beer Advertising from NCAA Basketball ~ Newsroom ~ News from CSPI

I really don't understand why everyone wouldn't support this.

It was his choice to become involved in those things. Beer companies didn't force him. They have a right to advertise their product, and their target audiences are the people who watch sports. It's smart marketing to advertise during games. A lot of beer companies have disclaimers in their ads about drinking responsibly, so if someone does something stupid that's their own fault. Removing ads isn't going to remove the temptation.

hi Bethie.

thanks for posting this!

Just my personal view...

Alcohol commercials like a lot of the other stuff produced by the multimedia industry...

"wolf in sheep's clothing" ?

I think it's great that colleges are trying to take a stand and recognizing the dangerous influences of alcohol. More and more colleges are converting to "dry" campuses too.

But like Vort said...the money the companies extend to these athletic programs is pretty sweet...would be very difficult to turn down.

The Word of Wisdom specifically endorsed beer. The early saints drank beer until the Utah days.

D&C 89:17:

Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

Jesus not only drank alcoholic beverage but miraculously provided it, turning water to wine at a wedding. Noah passed out drunk. Joseph Smith owned a bar in the Nauvoo house.

We have to get over that.

Then, we have to remember that our work in the LORD's vineyard is not to snip away the bad fruits of the evil branches, but to nurture the good tree.

The feeling generated by a succesful ban of these commercials would be nothing but a false sense of accomplishment. Let freedom ring in this land and do as did Joseph Smith himself and allow individuals themselves to determine what they take or take not into their bodies.

I can remember sitting in sacrament at the building on Columbus avenue (which now houses a temple). The first floor had also a restaurant which was leased out by the church and operated by a third party. As I partook of the sacrament there, I could see people seated at the tables on the sidewalk below drinking beer and wine as a portion of their spending on such indulgences assisted the maintainence of the church building.

We must remember our place and the example given us by the LORD's anointed.

There were 60 college presidents that signed the petition...I think that shows that this is beyond religion. People aren't against responsible drinking but being "drunk" is becoming more and more socially unacceptable.

We made a lot of friends and we have a lot of family that drink...I have no problem with it at all, so long as they're responsible and over 21.

We were at Colorado State University for the past 5 years...just finished this May!

There were riots the first two years we were there. School officials concluded that they were caused by intoxicated freshmen. A few miles away in Boulder, they were having similar issues and there were also kids dying of alcohol poisoning.

I know that a person can think "eh, that's part of the college experience. To each his own."

But it really damaged the reputation of both schools. New student enrollment dropped the next year, they were constantly in the news because of the "alcohol problems" with the students.

We had originally enrolled because the school had a good program, but all the wierd stuff going on those first two years really made me question what a degree from that school was really going to say on a resume.

From my point of view, I figure these schools want to move away from alcohol "endorsements" to show that they are serious about maintaining a good reputation for their school.

The officials at my school really took it seriously...Both CSU and CU Boulder stopped serving alcohol at football games (not sure if they lifted this yet or not), they implemented dry campus rules, dry fraternities; for a couple years they even issued a curfew for all undergrads. It didn't fix all the issues at these schools but, it allowed the bad press to cool off, and it helped repair the image of these schools.

The context that we are talking about is the college environment. Kids are usually 18 years old when they enroll, which means that they have three years of college in their "underage" years. I doubt that the alcoholic sponsorships are designed appeal to college students (or anyone) only over 21.

I know that this isn't the issue at all schools but once a school goes through something like this, they most definitely take a turn in their approach on the "issue".

Part of the article says,

"The coaches' letter to Myles Brand, which included signers from Florida State University, University of Memphis, Georgetown University, The Ohio State University, Tulane University, The Citadel, Stanford University, the United States Air Force Academy, the University of Virginia, and the University of Washington, expressed concern about the prominence of alcohol advertising in televised college sports "

...not just a Utah thing.