Sue the Church?????

mountainrider

i can see some "legitimate" reasons for suing the church. i don't believe it's really appropriate to go into a list of all the bad things we've heard. will accomplish nothing positive. i can also see irrational reasons it's been tried. i personaly probably would not. i feel there are other ways to get your greivences reconsiled. there are many circumstances in which i would not hesitate to move up the line of authority to get resolution to the point of probably being arrested for camping on chruch headquarters door step to get a greivance reconciled if that's what it took. lol i'm a very stuborn person.

In America, you can sue anyone. I'm sure you can sue the church. Typically though, when it comes to suing a group like a church, if they know they honestly owe you damages of some kind then all you have to do is threaten legal action and they pony up.

Most of the time, one doesn't have to resort to lawsuits if they really work it out.

What's going on?

I've decided to sue. I keep forgetting to count the non-monetary donations I do on my taxes. So, I want that money back for driving those crazy Mutual kids to activities, YW girl's camp, doing my VT, going to my ward and stake meetings, etc...

Why??? are you bored and need something to do???

LOL! No, not me!! I think it is absurd for someone to even think about suing the church, no matter how wronged I feel. I would never do it, but i heard of a situation where someone was contemplating suing the church. The idea intrigued me and I got thinking about what it would take for me to be able to take tithing dollars that others have paid in payment for the wrongs that I feel. I honestly couldn't think of a situation where I could do that.

In most cases I've heard, suing the church was ridiculous because it was an individual member of the church who wronged someone and the church has no control over their actions. For instance, someone sued because their home teacher molested their child when he came to visit. Why not sue the home teacher? Probably because the church has more money.

LOL! No, not me!! I think it is absurd for someone to even think about suing the church, no matter how wronged I feel. I would never do it, but i heard of a situation where someone was contemplating suing the church. The idea intrigued me and I got thinking about what it would take for me to be able to take tithing dollars that others have paid in payment for the wrongs that I feel. I honestly couldn't think of a situation where I could do that.

I knew a brother that had been used for psychological counseling of Church members, who were referred to him by his Bishop. The brother was unemployed at the time, and was grateful to the Bishop for the referrals, as these counseling sessions were paid for by the Church.

When the Church decided to stop sending members to him, he threatened to sue. The Church had very good reasons to stop, and these very reasons were this brother's justification for a lawsuit.

It was a mess. My bishop got bleeding ulcers over it.

HiJolly

It seems to me that someone would have to have a big 'entitlement' mentality to do that. Like, "They OWE me!". I agree, I can't see myself feeling that way. I have seen others that felt that way, and just couldn't feel the same way, even though I knew the situation quite well.

HiJolly

There is a lot of confidential information that gets passed through the office of a Bishopric or Stake Presidency. If someone in the office were to leak some of that information, and some of that information were then used against the person, then the person might have grounds for suing the Church, as this was information that is trusted to people serving in an official capacity for the Church. The information could be personal or financial. However, the grounds for legal action could only be maintained if the Church did not take action against the person who leaked the information (as far as I understand).

I have one question --- what has happen to personal responsibility? (In most cases) -- even people who have been wronged still played a part in how the wrong was committed.

Class action suits are the ones that erk me -- all they do is make the lawyers rich.

Hope my attitude towards lawyers doesn't offend -- I'd hate to be sued for defimation of character:roflmbo:

People can sue the church for all the reasons a church has insurance, and then some.

At my church's last conference, the registration team decided to track people's cheques by the numbers on the bottom left of the cheque, rather than on the check number on the top right corner. If you didn't know, the numbers on the bottom left denote Bank, Branch, and account number. Basically, the registration team wanted to keep a record of people's bank account numbers on file: a HUGE no-no.

They didn't understand the huge liability in this and kept insisting on it (they said that there were too many repeats using the typically-recorded cheque number), but I just kept pushing it until they finally complied and used the regular cheque number. Not bad for a 22-year old (then 21) first-timer on a committee of older and more experienced people.

People can sue the church for all the reasons a church has insurance, and then some.

At my church's last conference, the registration team decided to track people's cheques by the numbers on the bottom left of the cheque, rather than on the check number on the top right corner. If you didn't know, the numbers on the bottom left denote Bank, Branch, and account number. Basically, the registration team wanted to keep a record of people's bank account numbers on file: a HUGE no-no.

They didn't understand the huge liability in this and kept insisting on it (they said that there were too many repeats using the typically-recorded cheque number), but I just kept pushing it until they finally complied and used the regular cheque number. Not bad for a 22-year old (then 21) first-timer on a committee of older and more experienced people.

Good for you! Way to go.

HiJolly

Lawsuites are for civil matters. They are for people seeking justice. I am too bussy seeking the mercy of my Lord too threaten His servents, even for just recompense. In the parable of the unjust servent (Matt 18:12-35), Christ tells the story of a servent who ows his master a great debt, but the master forgives him. The servent then goes out and persecutes a fellow servent for a debt that is owed to the first. When the master hears of it, the formerly forgiven servent is punnished for his lack of forgivness.

Forgive and forget, and God will make it right.:)