What happens to families...

bytor2112

As a member of the LDS church, we believe that families can be together forever. That husands and wives and sons and daughters can be forever bound in the eternities through sacred ordinances performed in Temples. Marriage is essential to the plan of salvation. So essential that I cannot obtain the highest degree of celestial glory without being sealed to my wife.

What do other denominations teach regarding the family after death or in heaven or what do you believe personally? Are your children your children? Is your spouse your spouse?

Lutherans... they dont really know... they say maybe.. but then they believe that they are spirits like they believe God is ... no body... However lutheranism is a VERY allowing religion. you can think what ever pleases you and you will get that.... If you ask a priest if there is life after death they say, that they hope so and that we can live in hope... no one has returned to tell ther is. God and Jesus is one: Jesus is Gods earthly appearance. Someone said to me: yes families are to gether as spirits...

When i was raised baptist, I was taught there was nothing. We wouldn't know each other in heaven, but it isn't as gloomy as it sounds. We would be so focused on God that the desire to be with them wouldn't be there.

But it seems like a waste to have a family unit in that case.

My wife and I were both Southern Baptists. Funny, the way we used to believe, it really makes no sense now. Our friend is a "saved" Baptist but she doesn't live a devout life. She believes Heaven will be really boring because all you will get to do is sing praises and worship God.

The idea of celestial marriage was first espoused by Emmanuel Swedenborg, so I would imagine the Swedenborgians still cling to this idea.

Yes....I have read that on some anti-sites......not sure how that applies to LDS doctrine really. Some say that Joseph borrowed this belief from them and adopted it to make plural marriage more pallitable.

Yes....I have read that on some anti-sites......not sure how that applies to LDS doctrine really. Some say that Joseph borrowed this belief from them and adopted it to make plural marriage more pallitable.

Don't need to go to any anti-sites. A book on world religions would suffice.

From the Wikipedia:

Added to this the Swedenborgians believe that marriage is eternal. They state that an individual will be married to his or her spouse in the afterlife if he or she has a true spiritual marriage, and that if a person dies unmarried he or she will find a spouse in heaven.

Regardless of the borrowing, I think the Swedenborgians are the only other group besides the Mormons who espouse Celestial Marriage.

Mailis:

Lutherans... but then they believe that they are spirits like they believe God is...no body...

Mailis, if you are speaking about the resurrection, I must disagree. Evangelical Lutherans believe in the resurrection of the body, it says so in the Apostles' Creed, and it's recited weekly. Concerning the belief in families forever - nothing specific regarding "families living together forever" is taught as doctrine, but I believe most Lutherans (speaking as one) believe that when they are resurrected they will see familiar faces, so to speak, since we will be ourselves, just gloriously different.

They believe in everything..........

this is so true....we taught a family while on my mission and we got nowhere.....they believed everything we told them.....I think we could have told them that Joseph Smith swam across the English Channel and they would have believed us......they were a great family....:D

I myself am Baptist, but I don't believe my denomination bears any particular weight to what I believe, which I take from:

Matthew 22

Marriage at the Resurrection

23That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24"Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

29Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

33When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching.

I don't believe spouses will still be married, as I do not believe that marriage itself exists in heaven.

Genesis 2

18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." ...

20 ... But for Adam [h] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib [j] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man...

24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

In that I don't believe in any spiritual progression after death, there is no function or use for marriage in heaven or God's kingdom.

I do believe that people will be aware of each other and still remember who was who and the like (the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, Luke 16:19-31) but as equal peers instead.

The usual gist was

*no marriage in heaven (very specific teaching about this, very underlined)

Speculation from that belief

*people will know and recognise each other but Earthly lives and experiences will be less important in the context of eternity.

*We'll all be family...just not specific to particular people.

In that I don't believe in any spiritual progression after death, there is no function or use for marriage in heaven or God's kingdom.

Wow, that sounds kinda boring and all -- we all will be eunochs as well?

Bet the religion that promises 72 virgins AND your wives from this life would get more takers.

Guest TheLutheran

I don't spend a lot of time wondering or worrying about what heaven will be like. I have complete trust in the Lord that it will be beyond my currently feable level of comprehension. Just as I could have never in my wildest imagination designed a giraffe, I believe paradise will be even more spectacular. Many spend countless hours grappling with this question in terms we can understand in this life (relationships, marriage, pleasure, etc.) but I'm not so sure heaven can be or will be defined in those terms.

I trust heaven will far exceed anything I could imagine and therefore I direct my energy and attention to developing my faith and working to be Christ-like. :)

But what do I know?? I'm just a gullible Lutheran. :D

I don't spend a lot of time wondering or worrying about what heaven will be like. I have complete trust in the Lord that it will be beyond my currently feable level of comprehension. Just as I could have never in my wildest imagination designed a giraffe, I believe paradise will be even more spectacular. Many spend countless hours grappling with this question in terms we can understand in this life (relationships, marriage, pleasure, etc.) but I'm not so sure heaven can be or will be defined in those terms.

I trust heaven will far exceed anything I could imagine and therefore I direct my energy and attention to developing my faith and working to be Christ-like. :)

But what do I know?? I'm just a gullible Lutheran. :D

But what if God offered to tell you what heaven was like....wouldn't you want to know?

Guest TheLutheran

But what if God offered to tell you what heaven was like....wouldn't you want to know?

Why would God spoil the surprise? He does not need to whet my appetite with specifics to entice me to follow Him or be faithful until death.

I realize this isn't of nearly the same magnitude as a heavenly revelation, but when the doctor offered to reveal the gender of our children, I didn't take him up on it. (We got 3 farmer's daughters -- yippeee!!)

I believe God has provided The Bible to guide me. I'm good with that. ;)

Why wouldn't he????

I completely respect the love of surprises......But this is kinda like someone saying here I am giving you a thousand dollars free and clear and you say No thanks....i am good with my 100.

(BTW....I am answering you for the sake of the bantor......I completely respect the fact that you are ok with following the Bible. ;) )