Favorite scripture?

convert90

I've always loved the account of Alma Senior and his people in the land of Helam in Mosiah 23 & 24. I love how they were so miraculously saved from the bondage of the Lamanites and priests of Noah. It reminds me of what i need to do to be saved from my bondages of sin and trial.

I have so many favorites! I'm a fairly recent convert myself and when I was reading the Book of Mormon for the first time and read about the conversion of Alma the Younger, I was filled with so much peace. At the time of my conversion my son (an adult) was having problems with drugs and alcohol. I understood the anguish that his (Alma the Younger) father had for him and how he prayed for his son and the blessings of his son's conversion. I knew my Father in Heaven heard my anguished prayers and that I would have similar blessings. Shcrtly after this experience, my son, on his own choosing came to realize that he needed to enter rehab. He has been clean and sober for 2.5 yrs. has a great job and has custody of his two daughters. Blessings!!!!!

The other scripture that keeps me on the 'straight and narrow,' Alma 24:30 I have it marked as, 'reason not to fall.'

This is a great thread! I hope others will post here too.:)

My favourite chapter from the Bible ever:

1 Samuel 5

The Ark in Ashdod and Ekron

1 After the Philistines had captured the ark of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. 2 Then they carried the ark into Dagon's temple and set it beside Dagon. 3 When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. 4 But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained. 5 That is why to this day neither the priests of Dagon nor any others who enter Dagon's temple at Ashdod step on the threshold.

6 The LORD's hand was heavy upon the people of Ashdod and its vicinity; he brought devastation upon them and afflicted them with tumors. [a] 7 When the men of Ashdod saw what was happening, they said, "The ark of the god of Israel must not stay here with us, because his hand is heavy upon us and upon Dagon our god." 8 So they called together all the rulers of the Philistines and asked them, "What shall we do with the ark of the god of Israel?"

They answered, "Have the ark of the god of Israel moved to Gath." So they moved the ark of the God of Israel.

9 But after they had moved it, the LORD's hand was against that city, throwing it into a great panic. He afflicted the people of the city, both young and old, with an outbreak of tumors. 10 So they sent the ark of God to Ekron.

As the ark of God was entering Ekron, the people of Ekron cried out, "They have brought the ark of the god of Israel around to us to kill us and our people." 11 So they called together all the rulers of the Philistines and said, "Send the ark of the god of Israel away; let it go back to its own place, or it [c] will kill us and our people." For death had filled the city with panic; God's hand was very heavy upon it. 12 Those who did not die were afflicted with tumors, and the outcry of the city went up to heaven.

That's right, God showed them who's boss.

I have lots of favourites.

One of my favourite Psalms is 121.

I will lift mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

My help cometh from the Lord which made heaven and earth.

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved : he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

Behold he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

I came across a few more as I was doing my scripture study, here they are...

Doctrines and Covenants Secion 11:7 - Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.

and....

St. Matthew 17:20- and Jesus said unto them, because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, if ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

This verse from Mormon (my favorite prophet and person...besides Christ that is) tells me that the real church of Christ has revelation and that people that are against the LDS church do not know the scriptures and/or understand them.

Mormon 9:6-8 O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the lord; cry mightily unto the father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having been cleansed by the blood of the lamb at that great and last day. And again I speak unto you who deny the revelations of God, and say that they are done away, that there are no revelations, nor prohpecies, nor gifts, nor healing, nor speaking with tongues, and the interpretation of tongues; Behold I say unto you he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them.

D&C section 110 vs 1-5...can you even IMAGINE being worthy of this?? it gives me goosebumps every time i read it.. to have Christ say to you that your sins are forgiven so lift up your head and rejoice...powerful!

1 The aveil was taken from our minds, and the beyes of our cunderstanding were opened. 2 We asaw the Lord bstanding upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure cgold, in color like amber.

3 His aeyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his bcountenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his cvoice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of dJehovah, saying:

4 I am the afirst and the last; I am he who bliveth, I am he who was slain; I am your cadvocate with the Father.

5 Behold, your sins are aforgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and brejoice.

I have lots and I'm still learning but right now - the Psalm of Nephi.

2nd Nephi chapter 4:16-35. I like these in particular -

31 O Lord, wilt thou aredeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of bsin?

32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my aheart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may bwalk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!

33 O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy arighteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine benemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy.

34 O Lord, I have atrusted in thee, and I will btrust in thee forever. I will not put my ctrust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his dtrust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

I have always loved Mosiah 8:18

"Thus God has provided a means, that man, thru faith, might work mighty miracles. Therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings."

And Enos 1

26 And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

27 And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

And then cometh the judgment of the Holy One upon them; and then cometh the time that he that is filthy shall be filthy still; and he that is righteous shall be righteous still; he that is happy shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy shall be unhappy still. (Mormon 9:14)

In other words, Don't worry, Be happy:)

• 1 year later...
Guest mormonmusic

Helaman Chapters 10 and 11 when the prophet Nephi is granted the power to have anything granted that he asked for. Love the prayer he gives to ask God to stop the famine -- it's full of ways of reasoning with the Lord to increase the chances he'll grant the requests in your prayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Romans 8:35-39 nothing can separate us from the love of God

Matthew 11:28-30 come unto me...

Jacob 5:41 "and it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard wept, and said unto the servant: "What could i have done more for my vineyard?" " (for some reason this just hits me HARD. no matter how much we sin, the Lord will still be there. He will still worry about us and ask what more he can do. He loves us so much.)