Acne

Brenton

I should forewarn you, this may seem like a giant ramble. :unsure:

I stay inside, all the time.

I only go out if I absolutely have to.

All this because of acne.

I used to be confident, and a big part of that was my fairly good skin, which you can see by my picture.

In the last few months it's gotten really, really, bad. I don't know if the term "Cystic Acne" brings understanding to any of you.

It keeps me from doing everything. Literally. I've been taking this year off to save for next year, so I don't have to work during my final year of High School education. But haven't worked for most of it, because of my acne. I cannot even shave. It's very painful.

I finally get to see a dermatologist next Tuesday, for which I have to travel a great distance for, and will probably be prescribed dreaded roaccutane or something. But anything for good skin.

It so breaks me emotionally. Is this state of mind sinful; vain; pride?

Is this not evidence of a fallen world? In a perfect world, we wouldn't have these problems.

I should forewarn you, this may seem like a giant ramble. :unsure:

I stay inside, all the time.

I only go out if I absolutely have to.

All this because of acne.

I used to be confident, and a big part of that was my fairly good skin, which you can see by my picture.

In the last few months it's gotten really, really, bad. I don't know if the term "Cystic Acne" brings understanding to any of you.

It keeps me from doing everything. Literally. I've been taking this year off to save for next year, so I don't have to work during my final year of High School education. But haven't worked for most of it, because of my acne. I cannot even shave. It's very painful.

I finally get to see a dermatologist next Tuesday, for which I have to travel a great distance for, and will probably be prescribed dreaded roaccutane or something. But anything for good skin.

It so breaks me emotionally. Is this state of mind sinful; vain; pride?

Is this not evidence of a fallen world? In a perfect world, we wouldn't have these problems.

Your state of mind isn't sinful. It's being human and it's being a teenager. I hope the trips to the dermatologist help you.

Edited by pam

Hey bro, for shaving you might want to try and eletric razor, something that won't cut up the skin.

It happens to most of us, it happened (and still somewhat happens) to me.

You can try Oxy-Coverup for Men, it's kind of a concealer-make up that also acts as a medicine for it.

I'm sure all the great prophets have had to fight the odd pimple.

I'm sure all the great prophets had to fight the odd pimple

This brought quite a smile and a laugh to me, thanks. :)

But .... I wouldn't describe mine as the "odd pimple", if it was, I wouldn't be going to a dermatologist.

I'll do a before and after photo - for fun. ;p

Hey don't worry. Paul was described as a beady eyed, small, poxy-faced man

.....who when roused by the lord became as a lion.

Seriously though, check out the oxy stuff, it works great and helps cover it up as it works. When I had a bad problem it was kind of a confidence booster.

Also, take the advice about the eletric razor.

hey brenton....man, do i understand how you feel....i started breaking out at about 16...badly...and i hated myself because of it...didnt date because i was so sure that i'd be turned down, because of my skin...at 18 i went into the navy and during boot camp, it got so bad that i looked like i was growing cherry tomatoes in my face....and back then there were NO meds to take for it...it was awful....and theres no sin in wanting to be accepted...see i felt unacceptable...mostly to myself....so...use an electric razor and go see the dr. and try to give yourself a break....you're not the only one with acne and certainly wont be the last

Thankyou for your kindness d-a-c.

It's so nice of you all to be supportive, because I really didn't expect it - you've all exceeded my expectations.

I went to a beautician today and asked about OxyCover, she was a Clinique consultant, and she told me that I shouldn't be putting anything on my skin - except for a cetaphil cleanser, which I already use because it's balanced ph, and it's REALLY careful on the skin - and I have really sensitive skin (which tends to go with acne, i feel).

She basically said she'd refuse to sell me anything until after I'd seen my dermatologist on Tuesday.

She also gave me a lot of confidence, because, my mother was telling her how I'm expecting a job interview in the next week or so, and she basically said ... don't worry about that, your employer KNOWS that acne doesn't stop you from doing a satisfactory job.

So all good around I guess.

Praise God for the mercies He shows me.

It's not that I want to endorse a product here. But both my boys who are now 17, have used the product Proactive and it has worked tremendously. I have been amazed at the difference. Not sure if it is available in Australia but usually sold on infomercials here in the States.

Hi, Brenton...Cystic acne is different than the "usual" acne. You are going the correct route in regards to the dermatologist. There are home remedies you could try first, but they are not always effective .

My son has the regular acne, on which the ProActive works great. I know several people, however, with cystic acne, and it does not respond to the usual topical treatments. If cystic acne is not treated, it can cause really deep, permanent scars. Also, you should stop touching, popping, or scratching the affected portions of the skin, as that will cause it to spread, as it is a bacteria. Let us know how your appointment goes.

..I'll bet you know EVERYTHING there is to know about acne...so I won't tell you how to manage it. With cystic acne there is absolutely nothing you can do about it and nothing you ever did to get it or even make it worse (it's all hormonal). Touching and wearing hair in your face...well the bacteria multiplies all on it's own...so not a whole lot you can do to reduce it...such things might help with mild acne...but not a whole lot with moderate to severe. See a derm.

Tips:If they give you ro:

Because roaccutane dries out your skin get some Lucas Paw Paw ointment (it's anti-bacterial). Your dermatologist will recommend it or if you mention it will give it rave reviews. It's an Aussie product...and it's our best kept secret ; ) It's in a red tube...get it at any chemist. There are some drying effects with ro...eyes, nose membranes...lips peel...you may not get that. But best to be aware. Apply lucas paw paw or eye drops as required.

Sorry, but your skin will peel and look awful for a while longer...think light at the end of the tunnel...think looooong tunnel...but it will work. It won't be fun. Don't give up. The result will be good...just not great for a while. Just ignore it and let it do it's stuff...the dry skin will annoy you...but best to leave it be and use the paw paw oil if it's scratchy.

Get some mega suncream lotion and cover up your skin (you haven't needed before...you will need it now and ever after...not for your face at the moment (wear a hat...and stay out of the sun as much as possible) but for your arms and legs). Be dilligent about it....the stuff really does accelerate sun damage.

Ignore the bad stuff about ro...everything has side effects. If your doc prescribes it you will be monitored. Unfortuneately, if you have acne that is bad...nothing else works. It's one of those desperate measures...that is worth doing if it's affecting your life...and it does.

However it is likely that they will start you off on the least invasive prescription skin product...keep going back until you get something that works...it's all part of the process as they just do that...sort of a duty of care thing.

Anything with benzyl and salylic acid is helpful for acne...but your dermatologist will give you stuff that is better than that. Proactive contains benzyl. The problem with sensitive skin is that there is a likelihood that there will be a reaction with benzyl...usually you start on the least amount and work your way up to avoid mega-problems. It helps with mild or light moderate...but is needed constantly..and when you stop...yuk! However...this sort of stuff is nothing compared to a derm's prescription. And benzyl is known for *aging your skin* severely. It's not the best choice. I don't recommend it at all...as it just isn't so great later on post-acne.

What to do after treatment:

You can get a skin supplement tablet...zinc and various stuff..(herbal supplement).

If I'm having a bad time I take a zinc tablet and a vitamin A tablet...(for the occasional bad spot...you can also get something called tissue salts and if you get an obnoxious spot you take the salts and it really fixes things..: ). There is life after acne...hang in there. (don't take vitamin A tablets or zinc with ro/don't take them frequently as you can overload on both of them...read the bottle...probably not a good idea for a long duration after ro)

When you get off whatever they give you...ask them for what kind of moisturiser to use as all of the products and stuff you may have used will not work the same...skin texture will have changed. They'll probably say cetaphil or QV. Currently I use QV face. But I'm looking at this site now for products with less of the nastier preservatives in them: as I've found that I react to them. Ugh to sensitive skin. This will help as your skin will need gentle care after you stop treatment and QV and cetaphil AREN'T always the gentlest products. Also check your shampoo and sunscreen.

Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database

Tip: don't look up whatever stuff the derm gives you to get rid of the acne...you do not want to know and it doesn't matter...if it gets rid of the acne..great.

Best of luck with it. Seeing a derm was the best thing that I ever did... : ) Woohoo to having normal skin!!!!

By the way...I never really understood where other people were coming from...you'll understand why they suggest silly things...normal skin behaves totally differently and the things that they say they do actually work for their skin. I can't believe how much easier life got...they just don't know how easy they have it. Stuff you laughed at before like oatmeal masks..even clay masks...work. Last tip: apply a mask once a week...cause you'll still get blackheads on occasion...and this will help keep them at bay *it's nothing to worry about...it is nothing like what you are dealing with now*. I use a dermalogica mask...very effective.

Edited by WANDERER

• 2 weeks later...