Role Play..I felt uncomfortable..

pushka

Tonight when the Missionaries came to teach me my New Member lesson, they chose to do some role play...1st I had to ask them questions about the church, any aspect of it, and they had to give me the answers, then they had to ask me and the other person in the room (an older member of the church who's been a member for years) questions and we had to give them the answers.

I know that the purpose of this was to enable me to answer questions that non-members might come up with, but it all felt a little uncomfortable..like I had to sort of rehearse set answers, and as if I was being tested on my knowledge since being Baptised. A friend of mine had this particular lesson some weeks ago, and the sister who sat in on the session told me afterwards that the Missionaries were surprised at how little this person knew about the Gospel, the Joseph Smith story etc.

How do you feel about these role playing lessons? Have you, as a recent Missionary had to conduct this lesson with others?

Next week they are returning to continue the role play, I think they felt that the older member answered too many of their questions tonight, to be honest I did have some answers ready to give but he just got in there faster than I did!! Also, having got started asking questions as a non-member might got me thinking of all sorts of questions I could ask, but was afraid that the Missionaries either wouldn't have been able to give me satisfactory answers to, or that might be a little too controversial, so I didn't really feel comfortable with the session. I did tell them that I felt much more comfortable answering questions of 'real' non-member friends and family because I knew how they generally felt about the church and how to tailor my replies so that they would be more genuine..tonight I just felt like I was being quizzed.

I've been asked to read Alma 17 before they come around next week, I suppose I ought to be reading Preach My Gospel too, as they have been 'promoting' that as an aid to member-missionary work, as they want me to role play sharing the Gospel with somebody next time they call...

Here's what I do... pause, and say, "thank you, no."

Works every time.

Thanks for all the extra replies! The Missionaries told me that the role play is something they do at the MTC, and that they thought it was a good tool to use in teaching new member lessons...I don't know if other Missionaries use this, or just the ones in our Ward.

I was told that the new member lessons would be taught to me by the Missionaries..I did originally have a couple of Home Teachers assigned to me, but they moved to another town so I haven't got any now..I do have Visiting Teachers, one is the Librarian who I work with in my calling as Assistant Librarian, she has become a good friend..we have gone to concerts together and such :) The Missionaries haven't been visiting me weekly for a while, they were concentrating on other new members who had relatives interested in the lessons too, and it's only since we got new Missionaries that they've started asking to come to see me again on a regular basis.

Iggy, thanks very, very much for your reply...I do feel that the local members are most willing to help out with gospel questions and whatnot..I do attend Gospel Principles class and find these helpful, they are much like my own R.E. lessons from my Roman Catholic school, but with the addition of LDS teachings/Scripture :) so I suppose the basics aren't really that difficult for me to master..

I'm thinking more and more that it is just the idea of feeling like I'm being tested that makes me feel uncomfortable with the role play, and the knowledge that it isn't real so I can't address all the issues a real non-member would have.

Anyway, I will see how I feel this week, in view of all your input, and thank you for it! It's much appreciated :)

Guest HEthePrimate

Yes, when I was a missionary they had us do role playing, and I hated it. It just seems so fake that it seemed silly (guess I wasn't meant to be an actor, eh?). Being in a real situation actually seemed easier for me to deal with because it was, well, real.

I imagine things get easier with practice, but if you feel too uncomfortable, nobody's going to force you to do role play.

HEP

I think acting is different because you have a script. Role playing is just being put on the spot and being expected to say the right thing with people staring at you.

Ok, so let's role play here.

Hello. Would you like to role play with me? I have lots of pretty props you could use - stuff with lots of glitter to make it more fun.