Understanding Isaiah - Hard to Impossible

HoosierGuy

So, I'm reading the Book of Mormon for the 2nd time. I love 2nd Nephi. I love all that is in 2nd Nephi except the parts on Isaiah. That is way way way hard to follow!

How can I be expected to understand it when Nephi's people had a hard time understanding it?

1 Now I, Nephi, do speak somewhat concerning the words which I have written, which have been spoken by the mouth of Isaiah. For behold, Isaiah spake many things which were hard for many of my people to understand; for they know not concerning the manner of prophesying among the Jews.

I'm grateful we have Nephi to explain Isaiah to us. I look forward to reading Nephi explaining Isaiah. His explanations of Isaiah are beautiful and true. But the Isaiah parts - ugh, way tuff.

3rd Nephi 23:1

1 And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to asearch these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of bIsaiah.

Ok, let me say I'm not going against this commandment. I will not give up on Isaiah but right now I think I'm going to go on with the BoM and come back to Isaiah in 2nd Nephi later.

Five keys to undstanding Isaiah, 2nd Nephi Chapter 25 -

1. Understand the "manner of prophesying among the Jews"

2. Do not do "works of of darkness" or "doings of abominations"

3. Be filled with the spirit of prophecy

4. Be familiar with regions around Jerusalem

5. Live during the days that the prophecies of Isaiah are fulfilled

Five Keys to Understanding Isaiah

2 Nephi was one of my favorite books when I first read the BOM, and I absolutely love Isaiah! He's one of my favorite prophets; I love the way he wrote! Years after that, I purchased the OT Student Manuals from ldscatalg (Manuals for Institute) and was more acquainted with the "manner of prophesying" & the regions; it made it easier to understand certain things that pertained to their time and then I could "see' what Isaiah was trying to convey or comparing it to.

Don't give up; understanding Isaiah's prophecies is a must for us! Once your eyes are "open,' you'll discover how wonderful it is!

Welcome

Edited by PapilioMemnon
Notification

The wonderful thing about Isaiah in 2 Nephi is, Nephi explains it! He makes it plain for his people and us to understand. After he quotes Isaiah, he then goes into what it means to us. So, while you read the Isaiah passages, focus on Nephi's teachings afterward and how they tie into what Isaiah has just stated. You will find a lot of understanding by doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on which parts of Isaiah we are talking about. There is lots going on in the book. The main point is prophecying the exile and then the return from exile and the return of YHWH to Zion in Jerusalem. Then there are some oracles of judgment in places. Cyrus is identified as "messiah" which I always found interesting. Which parts are you having trouble understanding? I love Isaiah and Ezekiel...they are my fav's.

I took a class years ago before I became a member of the church; "History of the Old Testament" that helped significantly in reading Isaiah. Having a solid grasp on the context of what is going on in the ancient world at the time of this particular prophet provides a window into the text that is just amazing.

My great grandma' loved Isaiah because of the reference of a Temple for all people in Ch 56. She hoped to be able to go to Israel if such would have been built. She died before we knew of the Restoration and the temples in modern times.

The poetry in Isaiah is just exquisite even thru the English translation.