Weight Loss plans?

CliffieDuckie

My best friend who lives in Boston and I have decided that we are sick of being flabby and we are now exercising together (over a webcam to make sure we're actually doing it). We both have exactly 15 pounds to lose but no exercise plans seem right... they all say things like "Lose the fat in 2 weeks" or dumb things like that which I don't believe is healthy. We want to lose the weight by January... Not in a huge hurry, but we want to do it safely and efficiently. For now we do the treadmill Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and weights Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. What worked for you? (Oh, and we don't believe that diets help... We just eat healthy and no more than one serving of junk food per day)

Oh! And any advice for my mother who is about 60 pounds overweight but doesn't believe she has time to work out with us or has time to make healthy meals would be great!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all goes well and you are able to stick with it and meet your goals. I agree that diets usually don't work but healthy eating does. One thing you may want to consider and probably already have is portion size. I am amazed how much very active people can eat and still not gain because they are so active. This may be one thing your mother could consider. You eat how much you need for your activity level.

Becides healthy eating a little bit of weight training (3x a week for 20 min is what I do.) helps a lot. Muscle takes more calories to sustain so it helps get your metabolism up and also if you work on muscle it helps burn the fat you want to get rid of. There is more to getting in shape than just losing weight. My main goal I am working on is geting my body fat % down to 24%. :)

Hope this helps a bit, lol. I am also using Jan as my main miestone for getting back in shape.

Ok, here goes... I'm a qualified personal fitness trainer and aerobic instructor etc, etc... I've killed myself for 2hrs a day on trying to get into shape and maintain it which is alot of time and work. Now that I'm married with 5 children, time is scarce and the body gets beaten. I found a program that takes 1 hr, no weights and doesn't slide backwards when you go on vacation. It's metabolsm training program that trains your metabolism to function at a healthy level for you at your age, and involves aerobic training, not anaerobic. It will take bout 3 months to kick in properly, but works... I do it everyday.

I had a triple surgery a few yrs ago, which they don't normally do, the doc was surprised at the condition on my body that he just did the whole lot, I stayed in hosp for 6 days as apposed to the usual 2wks. And my baby is 4 months old now and my jeans are already falling off of me. And I don't do diets.

If you're interested, let me know, I need your age and all you need is a heartrate monitor, and for you to give it a fare chance.

I am sooooooo interested, Liesl!!! I hired a trainer a few months back to help me lose this dang baby weight. I have lost 7% body fat in about 5 weeks but haven't dropped a pound. It is frustrating. I can feel myself getting stronger and I think I look a little better in my clothes but those levi's aren't drooping they way I would like.

So....please share!!!!

Haha..... get hr monitors at sports shops.... polar is a good make. If you gonna do this you need to give me your age so I can work out your target zone.... and any injuries I should be aware of. If you buy the monitor you can't waste money and not do it, so best you make the decision and then stick with it.... don't waste it........ hehe......

Guest bren1975

I've followed a vigorous exercise regimen for years, and still easily gain weight. For me, it's ALL in what I eat. So untill you eat less, you likely won't be able to work the pounds off. Unless you're an ironman athlete. Or Michael Phelps.

I suggest keeping a record of everything you eat each day, and totallying the calories. It's an eye-opener to see what one can pack away without realizing it. There are no shortcuts. Just good old calories in--calories out. I recently joined Weight Watchers and absolutely love it. Having to account to someone every week keeps me motivated. Motivation is everything. Then once I acheive my goal, I can remain a lifetime member and continue to weigh in so that the pounds don't come back like they always have before. Only a small percentage of people who lose weight can keep it off for long.

So you'll have to adjust what you eat. Exercise alone won't do it.

Losing the weight is one thing, but keeping it off and maintaining it is another. I've had extreme succes with a program called P90X. It's well worth the money. You gotta be willing to live a new and healthy lifestyle (exercise and nutrition) but I have no regrets buying and using it, even for one who's been into fitness for over twenty years.

Well after 5 babies, my last one was 4 months ago, I picked up 19kgs (41.6lbs) I have already lost 17kgs (37.4lbs) and I'm a junkfood fanatic. I eat a bag of chips, choc slab and lots of chewy sweets just about everyday.... after gym hehehehe.

I want to be you!!!

I have been working my butt off and eating good most of the week. And I just can't seem to drop it. Perhaps I am older now. I don't know. I used to drop weight just by thinking about it. Now, I am packing the junk in the trunk. I so hate it.

Anyway.....I am going to gym. Squats!! Here I come!!!

Exercise and diet. Check out No S Diet: No snacks, sweets, seconds, except on days that start with S.. It's the most sensible eating plan I have seen in awhile. Walking/jogging circuits work well as well as 2-3 days of strength training a week. Find what works for you.

O43

Sounds like an interesting diet. I went to the link. I would sure have to get a calendar to mark all my "special" days on it as to not forget.

Missi, it's always all hard work. My metabolism is working at the perfect rate, so I can eat what I want.... so far so good. I'm hoping to defeat the middle-age spread.

Be careful with that metabolism thing. I went to bed one night at age 33 and weighed 165 pounds. Woke up at 35 and weighed 205 pounds. You can defeat the middle age spread, but it isn't as easy as the Malibu Pilates folks want you to think it is. By the way, Jospeh Pilates was German. So how did his name suddenly become prounounced "Pill-awe-tees"? It makes it sound so chic.

Jon

My wife delivered 5 healthy babies (Although I wonder about my 20 year old's mental health at times) and miscarriaged one. After each delivery (including twins) she jumped rope, had a Slim-fast shake for two meals, and then a sensible dinner. It worked(s) for her. She's been the b-u-t-t of some jealousy by co-workers and RS sisters because she seemed to spring back quite quickly after "momming". And at 41 she still gets eyed by "the boys" half her age.

O43

walking is a good way to drop weight without over stressing your body.......but for those who think of less weight instead of smaller sizes....dont forget that muscle weighs more that fat....so you might not drop pounds....but you should be able to drop sizes....good luck......i just started an exercise regimen too.......lol

I dont know if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm using a video called The 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. Shes one of the trainers from the biggest loser. She's way annoying, but she's really kicking my butt. Even as an athletic youth I never had athletic legs. I even tried dancing. My mom said it was a curse. I got my fatty calves from her side and my fatty thighs from my dads side. That is long gone my friends! I have beat the curse. Its just the beginning so they are still, what I concider, ugly. BUT NOT FOR LONG!!! I'm seeing some nice definition. In a few months I should be saying bye-bye prarrie skirts! Hello knee legnth skirts!:bananarockon:

My frend in wheel chair drags me on a walk every day if not rain... today I even RUN some half a mile!!!

I am going to loose weight PERIODE

I also have the electric thing with many pads that resembles bailine, which is VERY good... you can almost see your waist get smaller... but it costs...:money::( My husband said, that worst about Bailine is that it works!