Sweet Tooth

Bethie

I have made a strong commitment today to eat more healthy foods. I'm already a vegetarian, but my whole life I've had an addiction to sweets

and I want that to end NOW. I had cancer surgery this year and also radiation therapy, so quitting sweets is really kind of essential to my recovery and long-term survival. So, my question is....have you been able to beat the "sweet tooth syndrome"? If so, how. What helped you the

most. I know prayer and commitment will play a big part in my experience of beating "the sugar monster". Any other suggestions?

Sweets aren't my thing, now fried foods are a weakness of mine.

Luckily, there are tons of things you can eat that are healthy and sweet. Fruits are obvious, there are loads of sugar free candies and deserts, try a diabetic cook book.

One thing that helps is to make your own sweets from home. Home made ice cream, candy, deserts and popsicles will almost always be better for you, as you have control over how much of each ingredient goes in.

I think I've been sugar free now for about a year as part of my fitness regimen. The thing about quitting anything is having that reason that motivates you. Kind of like the gospel, you gotta have that change of heart. I don't crave sugar anymore, though once in a while I'll treat myself. For me it's simply wanting to be healthier and being more fit and trim. Find your reason and set milestones and goals. Best wishes. :)

My sugar monster is as big as they come! lol But I have noticed that when I do give up sugar for a time, and then go back to it, that I can't tolerate it as easily and don't have the desire for it as much. I can also sense how it makes my body feel.....a little like a rollercoaster.

One thing that has helped me eliminate the sugar cravings was doing a cleansing diet. I had to do this diet because my candida was running amuck and I needed to eliminate all sugar from my diet. I did go thru a intense cravings the first week.....but after two weeks, my body started telling me what it really wanted like protein or sometimes I felt the need for veggies.

Doing such a diet isn't really a balanced approach. It takes a lot of discipline and more time as you prepare foods for your body.....but it did help me get back into balance with my eating for a time.

I haven't been doing so well these last weeks.....hahaha.....as I unwrap my zinger, but am going to start the cleanse this next week --after vacation of course. :) I miss the benefits of limiting my sugar. intake.

Ok, here is my bit for all that it's worth.... I'm a qualified personal trainer with a huge weakness for junk food. When I crave sweets I eat a fruit first...that way I find the sugar craving is satisfied through nature, if that doesn't do the trick I then chew some soft glucose sweets, I just don't go over board. I find if I try stop... I end up eating more than usual, so instead I try listen to my body. I'm also very active so the glucose gets used up quickly which can cause a slump. May I suggest lots of water throughout the day and snack on fruit in between meals, but if you feel a major crave.... don't torchure yourself.... treat yourself then move on.

• 5 weeks later...