Book of Mormon and Temples:

Hebrew poetry in The Book of Mormon:

Reformed Egyptian:

Archaeology and the Bible:

Scholars response to Bible vs The Book of Mormon:

Testimonies of the scholars:

Silk, Book of Mormon archaeology and the credits:

Alma 7:10, Jesus born at Jerusalem:

Thanks for this. I went through each clip and found it very interesting. I'm looking into the Mormon church and I have read a lot of stuff for/against. Besides, the phantom typing at the beginning of each segment, which drove me crazy, I found this very thought provoking and reasonable counters to Book of Mormon criticisms I've heard. When I read the Book of Mormon I asked myself, "How did a young man like Joseph Smith ever come up with this stuff?" After seeing this I am more amazed. Now just explain evolution to me vs the Adam/Eve story.

Hmmm..... Adam and Eve huh? Well, the Church has no official doctrine on this issue, so opinions vary. I'm a little more liberal than most when it comes to this subject, and believe that God used methods like evolution to create man.

Here are some articles on it:

Pre-Adamites - FAIRMormon

Dinosaurs - FAIRMormon

Dinosaurs - FAIRMormon

Primary sources/Evolution - FAIRMormon

What is your core belief regarding this?

Hemi, I don't want this thread to turn to a discussion on my beliefs on evolution. It is about lilly111us' clips from FAIR on responses to Book of Mormon criticism. I am impressed by this book. I can't imagine how a young Joseph Smith could have made it up.

Having said that my core belief is still that all life evolved from very simple life, including man evolving from ancient primates or some hominine. There is just so much undeniable evidence of the evolution of modern man (Homo Sapiens) from Australopithecines to Homo Erectus to Homo Neanderthalensis, with other species in between.

I suspect you would probably respond with the fallibility of the learning of man... experts used to think the world was flat too... blah blah blah. You would be right. I did hear mention of a very possible explanation for it all (which shocked me) on a post somewhere on this site that maybe there actually was all that evolution and even a later species like Cro-magnon man at the same time that God placed Adam and Eve on Earth, just like the Bible says! Then that last species died out or was killed off by modern man or was even destroyed in Noah's flood.

Hey, that could actually be an explanation and then wouldn't I look dumb for having been an agnostic because I believed so strongly in evolution when I woke up on the other side after dying? Hmmm...... I would rather there be life after death than not. I'll admit it. :confused:

Ugh! No! The Catholic Church thought the world was flat and was not taught previously before that timeframe. The universal information what we see today was taught by the few prophets who saught the same understanding as Enoch did. Catholic clergy, which had no spirit of understanding during that time, about what was given, assumed by their own wisdom gave their own interuptation. Now, you learn something new.

With added speculation [their is no real evidence here as you claimed] concerning what is referred as pre-man, I have yet to see any full skeletons. This one still makes me laugh more than Darwinism.

However, thanks for your candor post and I do respect it...:)

Hi CatchTheRedeye,

Glad to see you're still around. I was wondering if you ever looked into the book I suggested -- Mormon Scientist? I think it's really interesting to see how a man of science can have such a strong faith in God.

I feel the same way about Joseph Smith. That's why when anyone questions him being a prophet all I have to remember is how could he have possibly come up with the Book of Mormon on his own, and in such a short time. We've talked in PM about my belief that God is a living God. I'm glad to see you are still searching for the truth.:)

Stick around -- ask more questions -- there are great people on this forum. You are very respectful of my beliefs and I know that you will find the people here to be respectful of your beliefs.:)

Red eye,

I'm glad they helped. It goes to show that the Lord could have used any number of methods for the creation, including evolution. And every one of those methods is acceptable in the LDS Church. As I said, I am a believer that he used evolution, or obeyed certain laws, to create the earth and mankind.

Ugh! No! The Catholic Church thought the world was flat and was not taught previously before that timeframe. The universal information what we see today was taught by the few prophets who saught the same understanding as Enoch did. Catholic clergy, which had no spirit of understanding during that time, about what was given, assumed by their own wisdom gave their own interuptation. Now, you learn something new.

Hi Hemi,

It is a myth the Catholic Church taught the earth was flat. It didn't. Manhy people, such as navigators or astronomers, relied on the earth being a sphere to make their calucations. The Catholics never believed the earth was flat.

It was hypothesized in a book in the 1700s, which wrote that the earth was flat. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it. But it was not from, and had nothing to do with, the Catholic Church.

With added speculation [their is no real evidence here as you claimed] concerning what is referred as pre-man,. . . .

There is a plethora of "real evidence" of numerous species that were "pre-man". Modern man, which is what we are, came on to the scene two million years ago. Prior to that, he had many ancestors that were not direct, but part of the tree.

I have yet to see any full skeletons. This one still makes me laugh more than Darwinism.

Here is a full skeleton of a three-year-old child from three million years ago.

Edit: The article I linked to wouldn't work. So I found a different one: Earliest Baby Girl Ever Discovered: Australopithecus Afarensis Child Sheds Light On Human Evolution

From the article:

The find comprises the whole skull with a natural brain sandstone impression in addition to previously completely unknown or very little known skeletal parts including the hyoid bone. Of the upper part of the skeleton, most of the spinal column, both shoulder blades, the ribs and both collar bones were recovered. Shoulder blades are almost absent in the fossil record of the earliest human ancestors except for fragmentary pieces from Lucy and another Australopithecus species (Australopithecus afarensis). Parts of the lower limb, including both knee caps and substantial parts of the thigh and shin bone from both legs were also recovered in addition to an almost complete foot.

~~~~~~~~~

The baby is from the same species as “Lucy," a four-foot-tall Ethiopian who walked upright at least 3 million years ago. The discovery of Lucy confirmed man’s ancestors walked erect long before they began to develop the big brains that set them apart from more primal primates.

So, there is your intact skeleton, as well as your spherical earth.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
To fix link, but had to find a new one.

Thanks for this. I went through each clip and found it very interesting. I'm looking into the Mormon church and I have read a lot of stuff for/against. Besides, the phantom typing at the beginning of each segment, which drove me crazy, I found this very thought provoking and reasonable counters to Book of Mormon criticisms I've heard. When I read the Book of Mormon I asked myself, "How did a young man like Joseph Smith ever come up with this stuff?" After seeing this I am more amazed. Now just explain evolution to me vs the Adam/Eve story.

Lol, yeah, the typing sound drove me nuts :P Great videos though.