Uncomfortable Doctrine

fiona84

I feel that one of the hardest part of having the office of a "seer, revelator" is to try to unite the many different ways we think & understand to the way Father does; that's one of our goals; if we are to do His will, and become "like, in His likeness" we must see, think, feel, do, understand the way He does.

"Be of one mind..." "Be one..." as the Lord became one with Father, in His prayer to Him, He prayed that we would also become one with Them.

There are many aspects of the wars between the Nephites and Lamanites (made up of several different groups, and not only direct descents of Laman at this point); in Helaman 4, part of it, says: (Emphasis added)

Helaman 4

11 Now this great loss of the Nephites, and the great slaughter which was among them[the Nephites], would not have happened had it not been for their wickedness and their bomination which was among them; yea, and it was among those also who professed to belong to the church of God.

12 And it was because of the pride of their hearts, because of their exceeding briches, yea, it was because of their oppression to the cpoor, withholding their food from the hungry, withholding their clothing from the naked, and smiting their humble brethren upon the cheek, making a dmock of that which was sacred, denying the spirit of prophecy and of revelation, murdering, plundering, lying, stealing, committing adultery, rising up in great contentions, and deserting away into the land of Nephi, among the Lamanites

13 And because of this their great wickedness, and their aboastings in their own strength, they were left in their own strength; therefore they did not prosper, but were afflicted and smitten, and driven before the Lamanites, until they had lost possession of almost all their lands.

14 But behold, Moronihah did apreach many things unto the people because of their iniquity, and also bNephi and Lehi, who were the sons of Helaman, did preach many things unto the people, yea, and did prophesy many things unto them concerning their iniquities, and what should come unto them if they did not repent of their sins. - Prophecy & revelations - trying to get people to see and understand, but they would not think like them, the prophets who thry to lead us to think and have the understanding and mind of Heavenly Father

.... .....

23 And because of their iniquity the church had begun to adwindle; and they began to disbelieve in the spirit of prophecy and in the spirit of revelation; and the judgments of God did stare them in the face.

24 And they saw that they had become aweak, like unto their brethren, the Lamanites, and that the Spirit of the Lord did no more preserve them; yea, it had withdrawn from them because the Spirit of the Lord doth not bdwell in cunholy dtemples—

25 Therefore the Lord did cease to preserve them by his miraculous and matchless power, for they had fallen into a state of aunbelief and awful wickedness; and they saw that the Lamanites were exceedingly more numerous than they, and except they should bcleave unto the Lord their God they must unavoidably perish.

26 For behold, they saw that the strength of the Lamanites was as great as their strength, even man for man. And thus had they fallen into this great transgression; yea, thus had they become aweak, because of their transgression, in the space of bnot many years.

Because of their unbelief in the words of the prophets and revelation.... Because of dissenssions, contentions, deserting away among others who didn't believe .... the cause/consequence are clear.

I often wonder why did He call prophets if we all could interpret and follow our "own understanding" and we all would be right.

To the OP (Sorry I can't remember if it's Fiona or not), I understand that you don't quite understand this principle, but there are several, several scriptural references that support it (I have posted them on another thread and can't remember where. Message me if you're interested; the New Testament is full of references); it will take time to study them and ponder them, and then, Heavenly Father can deepen your understanding of those things; only He can help you "see' these spiritual truths if you want Him to show it to you. Remember, you are an agent unto yourself; no one can impose and make you "see" or "feel' something if you don't allow it.

I think and feel it's wise for you to prayerfully analyze your feelings about feeling very "uncomfortable with this doctrine" and how this person "made you feel." It will reveal things to you about you, and that should be personal, and I beleive that none of us can do it for you.

What a leader says or not, or the way they do it, if we have sustained them, we should be careful with how WE take that. I have mentioned this before in other posts, and someone )I can't recall, sorry) mentioned it again, all things we hear/receive from our leaders should be with/through the Spirit and all things shloud prayerfully pondered;' the instructor,speaker has the obligation to speak/teach/preach by the Holy ghost, and so does the hearer/student/receiver; we have to learn to hear actively and receive things throught the Spirit (I think D&C 50 explains that) Doctrine and Covenants 50 Verses 13-24

Sometimes is not the speaker/teacher/preacher that are not in tune, but the hearers/students/ that are not in tune with the Spirit and receiving it through Him.

Understanding things take time; we should prayerfully study and explore through the Spirit of God, persist upon, and patiently wait for the understanding to come to us that ONLY God can reveal and give.

Our ideas/thoughts/feelings about things are not necessarily Heavenly Father's, unless we have learned to "receive it through the Spirit of Father, know Him, spiritually discern His ways, and come to have His mind."

I feel that if you'll prayerfully study the scriptures that touch this subject, and ask of God, and wait upon Him while you continue to study, ask questions, search, evaluate your own feelings, He will expand that principle to you... and you'll "see...'

Don't block something, the teachings of prophets because of your own feelings/thoughts/understanding about it. Rather, try analyzing, searching, pondering, reading more on the subject, and asking of God Himself to enlighten you and your understanding.

Remember: Prov. 3: 5

5 aTrust in the Lord with all thine bheart; and lean not unto thine cown dunderstanding..

Proverbs 4

7 aWisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get bunderstanding.

Best regards and wishes to you!

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point! But, to clarify, my understanding of the LDS teaching concerning our Heavenly Father is that he is literally our Father, in the same sense humans parent their children. In other words, we are meant to become all that He is. Ultimately, that would seem to mean that we will become Gods, and that our Heavenly Father will take great joy in the worship we receive as we create our worlds, and eventually become "Heavenly Father" of the Gods we birth.

PC...to clarify a little more.....We believe God is the literal father of our Spirits. He did not father us in the flesh. Only one is the only begotten of the Father.

The second part is where it gets muddy......it is speculation and we talk of it.....but don't include it in our official teachings. The idea that we would be part of the creative process has been talked about and pondered about and published about. The rest of your statement is an assumption some have felt may be truth. The real truth is that beyond the scriptures we really don't literally 'know' yet what this all means.

I hope PC that as you try to understand our doctrine you can distinguish between official doctrine and our speculatory process as we all try to figure out all we can about the eternities. To so many of these questions the real answer is we simply don't know.

PC...to clarify a little more.....We believe God is the literal father of our Spirits. He did not father us in the flesh. Only one is the only begotten of the Father.

Fair enough. I never did quite buy into the Godmakers' take on your doctrine. :rolleyes:

The second part is where it gets muddy......it is speculation and we talk of it.....but don't include it in our official teachings. The idea that we would be part of the creative process has been talked about and pondered about and published about. The rest of your statement is an assumption some have felt may be truth. The real truth is that beyond the scriptures we really don't literally 'know' yet what this all means.

I hope PC that as you try to understand our doctrine you can distinguish between official doctrine and our speculatory process as we all try to figure out all we can about the eternities. To so many of these questions the real answer is we simply don't know.

Thank you for your encouragement. I understand that we are in somewhat speculative territory--especially seeing the diversity of responses from LDS members. As an outsider, with no testimony about these matters, my reading of these posts would lead me to believe that should I embrace the LDS revelations, I would likely side with Traveler, and those who are saying, "Let's embrace our doctrine, and all that it appears to mean."

The reality is that your doctrine concerning pre-mortal eternal existence already lends itself to a very different understanding of the God-humanity relationship. So, while those saying, "I'll never be worshipped, I'll just walk with my Heavenly Father in a glorified godlike state," might make me more comfortable as an evangelical, those who speculate a future of ruling worlds as Gods seem more consistent with other LDS teachings.

Fair enough. I never did quite buy into the Godmakers' take on your doctrine. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your encouragement. I understand that we are in somewhat speculative territory--especially seeing the diversity of responses from LDS members. As an outsider, with no testimony about these matters, my reading of these posts would lead me to believe that should I embrace the LDS revelations, I would likely side with Traveler, and those who are saying, "Let's embrace our doctrine, and all that it appears to mean."

The reality is that your doctrine concerning pre-mortal eternal existence already lends itself to a very different understanding of the God-humanity relationship. So, while those saying, "I'll never be worshipped, I'll just walk with my Heavenly Father in a glorified godlike state," might make me more comfortable as an evangelical, those who speculate a future of ruling worlds as Gods seem more consistent with other LDS teachings.

Consistent......but unconfirmed. I am not even saying that I disagree with the speculation. I am just hoping that we all know when we are crossing into the beyond....if you catch my meaning. (couldn't help myself....my avatar kinda took over there. :))

Consistent......but unconfirmed. I am not even saying that I disagree with the speculation. I am just hoping that we all know when we are crossing into the beyond....if you catch my meaning. (couldn't help myself....my avatar kinda took over there. :))

Misshalfway, I understand what you're saying; this principle that we speak in not "official" doctrine.

However, it's a principle we believe in, and jsut because is not made "official,' it doesn't mean is not accepted as doctrine.

When porphets speak,... Conference addresses are to be taken as scripture; was that made "official?"

You're clear and right about being really specific that we were taught that we are Heavenly Father's spirit children, and the Jesus Christ is His ONLY Begotten Son in the flesh, and in saying that if we reach Exaltation, the highest degree of glory where Heavenly Father and Christ dwell, we will inherit all and be "joint-heirs with Christ."

No, there's no scripture that says we will be worshiped; at least, I haven't seen it. But there are several scriptural references that we are addressed as "gods," and we were commanded to become LIKE Him, not ABOVE Him, just LIKE Him.

He will ALWAYS be the Almighty, and ABOVE all others. Just a King doesn't stop being a King when he gives the kindgom to a son, and the son becomes LIKE his father, a King as well. Only that, Heavenly Father will ALWAYS be ABOVE any!

We are already co-creaters in many aspects... I understand what you're saying, and that you keep specifically stressing is that we draw logical/intelligent conclusions (and I'd say guided by the Spirit), but we don't know much about it beyond that. And that's right!

There's something I'd like to mention, but I can't adn won't because it pertains to very sacred ordinance; the sealing ordinance says a lot... Try to remember the words...

Thanks for trying to be really specific about it! I appreciate it!

... but it is not taught in the scriptures that we will be worshiped or that we should seek to be worshiped, therefore we should not teach it. ... ...

I don't remember ever hearing any teaching or reading anywhere that we teach that...That's not something we are supposed to seek... And I don't think and believe any of the Prophets ever taught that! But I do believe in what President Snow said and what it leads to as consequence...

Our eyes have to be single to the glory OF God. And if we were ever to reach His presence, and become like Him, by all means, we MUST be humble and humble ourselves to Him!

It's my belief that no one will make to His presence in arrogance, greed, or seeking celestial material possessions or a throne or to be worshiped! That is completely inconsistent with being LIKE Him. Hoever, it's not inconsistent if we examine the relationship between cause/consequence.

I think scriptures are in harmony with this belief of mine, and I am happy to just keep it at that until (or if) we receive further light and knowledge on the matter.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I, too, wait for "further knowledge" on this matter... just for knowldege; I'm more concerned with doctrine & knowldege of the things that are required for salvation though...

Edited by PapilioMemnon
Adjusting e-mail notification

For myself, I seek to follow those doctrinal teachings that will help me to emulate Christ. I feel that if I can do that, I have no need to worry about what will happen in there hereafter. I am content to do my best, not worry about what is only speculation at this point (because, as others have said well, those things are not necessary for our salvation or exaltation), and wait and see what Heavenly Father has in store for me after I'm done on this earth. :)

I'm pretty sure that if HE chooses to bestow something upon me, I will have no trouble accepting because I will have a much greater understanding at that point than I could possibly have with my puny mortal brain at this point.

Our teachings, whatever they may be, are not confined to the handpicked statements of past or present leaders, that we are all so familiar with. The message that is consistently taught by the Church as doctrine, should be easily supported by appealing to the Standard Works. It is folly for any member to believe he/she has a message for others, that has been gained by way of personal revelation, if it moves ahead of the established doctrine of the Church.

That said, it is a fact that we will become gods and goddesses, kings and queens, and priests and priestesses unto the Most High, and we will inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, and inherit the glory of God because of his Son. And it is true that we will have spirit children of our own, which means that they will have the same relationship with us that we have with Heavenly Father. (D&C 132:19, 63)

Those things are consistent with the scriptures and the official doctrines of the Church. But there are specualtions that go contrary the teachings of the remaining scriptures that we have, such as God not being God at some point in his existence, or the atonement of Jesus Christ not being an infinite and eternal sacrificed after all, and that it must be done over and over again for each generation, or that we are to seek to be worshiped in our quest to be like the Father. You know, those things are beyond what has been revealed to us, and in many cases directly contradict the scriptures.

That's why you won't hear the General Authorities of the Church speak that way in conference. They teach the accepted doctrine of the Church. They keep the other stuff in their hearts only, until God sees fit to enlighten us further.

Regards,

Vanhin

Speculations? Do the math...let us take a quick gander at this simple statement that was referred as speculation from the "Teachings of Lorenzo Snow"; ^_^

As God Is, Man May Be by

Be as great as you want to be. You who have aspirations to be great—and there is no wrong in that—should realize … the support that you should give to those over you, so that when you are placed in responsible positions you may demand of the Lord the faith and support of the people. You will all be great someday, as great as you want to be. I remember an incident which occurred in Kirtland when I received my first patriarchal blessing from Father Smith. A better man never existed, nor was there a man better-loved than he. I was introduced by my sister Eliza R., though at that time I was not a Latter-day Saint and had no idea of becoming one. He said to me: "Don't worry, take it calmly and the Lord will show you, and you will want to be baptized," He told me another thing that greatly surprised me. He said, "You will be great, and as great as you want to be, as great as God Himself, and you will not wish to be greater." I could not understand this, but years after in Nauvoo while talking upon a principle of the gospel, the Spirit of God rested powerfully upon me and showed me more clearly than I can now see your faces a certain principle and its glory, and it came to me summarized in this brief sentence: "As man is now, God once was; as God is now man may be." The Spirit of God was on me in a marvelous manner all that day, and I stored that great truth away in my mind. I felt that I had learnt something that I ought not to communicate to others. (15 June 1901, DN, p. 1.)

"As God now is, man may be." Now, I have told you what Father Smith said to me, that I should become as great as I could want to be, even as great as God Himself. About two years and a half after, in Nauvoo, I asked Elder Sherwood to explain a certain passage of scripture; and while he was endeavoring to give an explanation, the Spirit of God fell upon me to a marked extent, and the Lord revealed to me, just as plainly as the sun at noon-day, this principle, which I put in a couplet: "As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be." That fulfilled Father Smith's declaration. Nothing was ever revealed more distinctly than that was to me. Of course, now that it is so well known it may not appear such a wonderful manifestation; but when I received it, the knowledge was marvelous to me. This principle, in substance, is found also in the scriptures. The Lord said to John, as recorded in the third chapter of his Revelation: "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (20 July 1901, JH, p. 4.)

Edited by Hemidakota

It was posted on previous threads and written many times in explaining it. The problem as Joseph Smith reported that other doctrine and principles could not be given to the church during his time due to the Saints immaturity. It is no different today. If anything is out of content, it is the Saint who are quick to judge and slow to research and finding the HG confirmation in prayer. I will remind those individuals here; President Young had two seer stones during his tenure as prophet, seer, and revelator. Even he had problems with the immature Saints who were not ready to receive additional revelations.

Again, do you still feel uncomfortable? As to canonization, I offer up those questions for a reason since we simple don't canonized everything that the HG confirms to the President of the church. Is it really neccessary? No....we simple add it to our daily lives as part of our character as the gosepl.

Another tidbit of information...historical fact that Eve was the oldest living human on this earth. She died after Adam and not before.

Two more added references concerning Adam and Eve being brought here vice created:

Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, 5th ed. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1893), 55–56.

Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, ed. John A. Widtsoe (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1954), 104–5.

The Creation of Humankind, and Allegory?: A Note on Abraham 5:7, 14–16

Richard D. Draper

Astronomy, Papyrus, and Covenant -- The Creation of Humankind, and Allegory?: A Note on Abraham 5:7, 14–16

I agree with Professor Draper article....but then, we leave this in the Spirit hands regards to the Truths. Again, this is not for everyone.

Guest ceeboo

Our teachings, whatever they may be, are not confined to the handpicked statements of past or present leaders, that we are all so familiar with. The message that is consistently taught by the Church as doctrine, should be easily supported by appealing to the Standard Works. It is folly for any member to believe he/she has a message for others, that has been gained by way of personal revelation, if it moves ahead of the established doctrine of the Church.

That said, it is a fact that we will become gods and goddesses, kings and queens, and priests and priestesses unto the Most High, and we will inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, and inherit the glory of God because of his Son. And it is true that we will have spirit children of our own, which means that they will have the same relationship with us that we have with Heavenly Father. (D&C 132:19, 63)

Those things are consistent with the scriptures and the official doctrines of the Church. But there are specualtions that go contrary the teachings of the remaining scriptures that we have, such as God not being God at some point in his existence, or the atonement of Jesus Christ not being an infinite and eternal sacrificed after all, and that it must be done over and over again for each generation, or that we are to seek to be worshiped in our quest to be like the Father. You know, those things are beyond what has been revealed to us, and in many cases directly contradict the scriptures.

That's why you won't hear the General Authorities of the Church speak that way in conference. They teach the accepted doctrine of the Church. They keep the other stuff in their hearts only, until God sees fit to enlighten us further.

Regards,

Vanhin

Hi Vanhin,

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, All the contradictions on this thread are :confused::confused::confused:

God bless,

Carl

Edited by ceeboo

Speculations? Do the math...let us take a quick gander at this simple statement that was referred as speculation from the "Teachings of Lorenzo Snow"; ^_^

"As God is, man may be" IS NOT speculation, it is official doctrine and is supported by the scriptures. God is an exalted Man with an immortal glorified body of flesh and bone, and the spirits of mankind are His offspring and can become like Him. That is our doctrine.

Are you replying to my post? If so, what are you trying to say?

Regards,

Vanhin

Regards,

Vanhin

Partial true. There are several talks, articles, books that spoke on this subject....nothing has changed but the focus on missionary work is more important.

I Have a Question

in Ensign Feb. 1982

...statement--"As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be"--accepted as official doctrine by the ... \001 "As man now is, God once was:" "As God now is, man may be." "I felt this to be a sacred communication...

Sculpture from the Church's Second International Art Competition

in Ensign Aug. 1991 by Glen M. Leonard

... said: `As man now is, God once was. As God now is, man may be.' (Deseret Weekly, 8 Oct. 1889, 57:...

Words of Comfort: Funeral Sermons of the Prophet Joseph Smith

in The Disciple as Witness: Essays on Latter-day Saint History and Doctrine in Honor of Richard Lloyd Anderson

... man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be." It was Lorenzo Snow ...

Don't Drop the Ball

in Ensign Nov. 1994 by Gordon B. Hinckley

...is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become!

Proper Self-management

in Conference Report, October 1976 by Marvin J. Ashton

...declaration, A*As man now is, God once was. As God now is, man may be.A* See Improvement Era, June 1919

Evolution of the Mind, the Heart, and the Soul

in BYU Speeches 1999 by Marilyn S. Bateman - 7 September 1999

"Ye Shall Know the Truth"

in Conference Report, April 1978 by N. Eldon Tanner

...also that A*as man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be.A*

The Highest in Us

in BYU Speeches 1974 by Truman G. Madsen - 3 March 1974

...faultless rhythm: "As man now is God once was. As God now is man may become." He says he saw a conduit, as it...

A Complete Look at Perfect

in BYU Speeches 1999 by John S. Robertson - 13 July 1999

...years ago. "As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be"

Enter to Learn--Go Forth to Serve

in BYU Speeches 1995 by L. Tom Perry - 5 March 1995

...creatorship. "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be."

Learning to Serve

in Ensign Aug. 1996 by L. Tom Perry

...creatorship. `As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be.' (Eliza R. Snow Smith, Biography of...

Wilford Woodruff to Joseph F. Smith

in Presidents of the Church Student Manual

...me . . . : As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be. President Snow President ... his mind. As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be. A son of God, like God to be, Would...

SECTION 3: The Second Year of Jesus' Public Ministry

in Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles: New Testament Student Manual

...words: "`As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be.'" (Address by Joseph Fielding Smith...

Chap. 31 (The Quest for Self-Sufficiency) - Chap. 35 (The Church at the Turn of the Century)

in Church History in the Fulness of Times

... couplet: "As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be." President Snow stated, "Nothing was...

SECTION 8 Paul's Witness as a Missionary

... words: "`As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be.' "This same doctrine has of course...

"As God is, man may be" IS NOT speculation, it is official doctrine and is supported by the scriptures. God is an exalted Man with an immortal glorified body of flesh and bone, and the spirits of mankind are His offspring and can become like Him. That is our doctrine.

Are you replying to my post? If so, what are you trying to say?

Regards,

Vanhin

No! Anyone who is posting this phrase as speculative or someone else's after thought, which is direct contradiction of what these General Authorities already stated since Joseph Smith time. I see you have the same belief.

Guest ceeboo

" IS NOT speculation, it is official doctrine and is supported by the scriptures. God is an exalted Man with an immortal glorified body of flesh and bone, and the spirits of mankind are His offspring and can become like Him. That is our doctrine.

Regards,

Vanhin

Hi again Vanhin,

Does God ( the exalted man of flesh and bone ) have a God and so on and so on ??

Thanks,

God bless,

Carl

Partial true. There are several talks, articles, books that spoke on this subject....nothing has changed but the focus on missionary work is more important.

I Have a Question

in Ensign Feb. 1982

...statement--"As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be"--accepted as official doctrine by the ... \001 "As man now is, God once was:" "As God now is, man may be." "I felt this to be a sacred communication...

Sculpture from the Church's Second International Art Competition

in Ensign Aug. 1991 by Glen M. Leonard

... said: `As man now is, God once was. As God now is, man may be.' (Deseret Weekly, 8 Oct. 1889, 57:...

Words of Comfort: Funeral Sermons of the Prophet Joseph Smith

in The Disciple as Witness: Essays on Latter-day Saint History and Doctrine in Honor of Richard Lloyd Anderson

... man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be." It was Lorenzo Snow ...

Don't Drop the Ball

in Ensign Nov. 1994 by Gordon B. Hinckley

Proper Self-management

in Conference Report, October 1976 by Marvin J. Ashton

...declaration, A*As man now is, God once was. As God now is, man may be.A* See Improvement Era, June 1919

Evolution of the Mind, the Heart, and the Soul

in BYU Speeches 1999 by Marilyn S. Bateman - 7 September 1999

"Ye Shall Know the Truth"

in Conference Report, April 1978 by N. Eldon Tanner

...also that A*as man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be.A*

The Highest in Us

in BYU Speeches 1974 by Truman G. Madsen - 3 March 1974

...faultless rhythm: "As man now is God once was. As God now is man may become." He says he saw a conduit, as it...

A Complete Look at Perfect

in BYU Speeches 1999 by John S. Robertson - 13 July 1999

...years ago. "As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be"

Enter to Learn--Go Forth to Serve

in BYU Speeches 1995 by L. Tom Perry - 5 March 1995

...creatorship. "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be."

Learning to Serve

in Ensign Aug. 1996 by L. Tom Perry

...creatorship. `As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be.' (Eliza R. Snow Smith, Biography of...

Wilford Woodruff to Joseph F. Smith

in Presidents of the Church Student Manual

...me . . . : As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be. President Snow President ... his mind. As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be. A son of God, like God to be, Would...

SECTION 3: The Second Year of Jesus' Public Ministry

...words: "`As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be.'" (Address by Joseph Fielding Smith...

Chap. 31 (The Quest for Self-Sufficiency) - Chap. 35 (The Church at the Turn of the Century)

in Church History in the Fulness of Times

... couplet: "As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be." President Snow stated, "Nothing was...

SECTION 8 Paul's Witness as a Missionary

... words: "`As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be.' "This same doctrine has of course...

Hemi,

Those statements are supported by scripture. I haven't said anywhere that I disagree with "As man now is, God once was; As God now is, man may be." doctrine. What's your point?

On the contrary I agree with the statements.

Vanhin

Guest ceeboo

If I took an educational assumption of patternization in both this world and that across the veil then yes.

Hi Hemidakota,

Was that an answer to me???

Sorry, I was not sure if you were answering me or Vanhin??

Thanks,

Peace,

Carl

I think you are arguing with me, yes hemi?

It's ok..bring it on. I can take it. Hahaha

Just kidding Hemi. I just feel that it is difficult to know on this subject where solid doctrine ends and speculation begins. I don't doubt what you are quoting.....I just have a hard time with some of the assumptions that sometimes follow it. That doesn't mean that I disagree with the logical conclusions....just that I can't say with certainty that it is all official doctrine that this church teaches.

Guest ceeboo

Hemi, Van,

Thank you both in advance,:)

So I can clear my foggy Catholic brain.

Is it LDS official teaching that any of us " can " become a God???

Does God have a God who has a God and so on ??

Thanks again for your patience with me:):)

God bless,

Carl

Hemi, Van,

Thank you both in advance,:)

So I can clear my foggy Catholic brain.

Is it LDS official teaching that any of us " can " become a God???

Does God have a God who has a God and so on ??

Thanks again for your patience with me:):)

God bless,

Carl

Hi Ceeboo,

Ok...I'm not Hemi or Van....hope that's ok...:D We believe that if we are valiant in our testimonies of Christ and recieve all of the sacred saving ordinances available to us that we will receive Eternal life in the Celetial Kingdom and eternaly progress. We do not believe that we will become God or equal to him, but rather we can become like him. Yes, everyone who has ever lived or will ever live will have the opportunity to recieve the gospel, repent and if valiant grow and progress in the eternal realms. We believe that we will be heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ.....to inherit the same glory and the same exaltation, until you arrive at the station of a god (small g) and ascend the throne of eternal power. Godhood is to have the character, possess the attributes, and enjoy the perfections which the Father has. It is to do what he does, have the powers resident in him and live as he lives, having eternal increase. It is not to become equal to God the Father.

As for God having a God and so on.....no. He is it...the Almighty.

Edited by bytor2112