Nine year old pitcher too good?

LDSgirl

I used to play hockey socially and we had a few teens come up and play B grade adult (as young as 13). They still played with their own team in A grade comps in some cases. But of course they weren't allowed to play lower grade teams. If you're not in that grade then you don't play it...and there's the same goings on when this occurs from the coaches/refs/players/parents/etc. Usually a decision that is made is final. However, mostly it isn't protested...cause if you love your sport you want to play at a higher level mostly.

Yes, it is sad being promoted (and every now and then being downgraded) out of your team..it's generally done slowly and they guest play for a while or attend training sessions intermittently until either they're ready to change over or the coaches decide they've had enough of a weaning time. If they still want the social aspect of staying with their team they can take on another position or become social co-ordinator/assistant coach or ref games. They're never put on a team unless it's equivalent to what they were doing already: as in heading for the finals as well. If you play for a club then you play for a club and whatever that entails. It's not like they're getting paid much to coach or ref or run a club or league...it's mostly a voluntary thing and for love of the sport...they do the best they can to make the game fair and fun for everybody. Sometimes you just have to go with club and league decisions even if you'd rather just play with the team you're on. This is part of playing club sport.

But that being said, I think he should finish the season in the team that he's in.

Edited by WANDERER

i read that article, too. thought it was sad how this seemed to come about because last years champions were unable to recruit the lad. adults sometimes REALLY know how to mess up playtime for kids.

That was my read, too. A simple case of some kid being the victim of adult politics.

I'm thankful that when I was a kid, there was no TV (at least, we didn't own one) and the adults left us kids alone to have a childhood. If there's a hell, Walt Disney is in it for what he did to destroy childhood.

Just an FYI, a friend of mine lives in this kids' town, and this is NOT the only team he plays on. He plays on other, much more competitive teams! This weekend he's already pitching in THREE games. That can NOT be good for that kid's developing arm.

Here's an ESPN article with more details (and a bit of snark ;) )

ESPN Page 2 - Kreidler: Let the kid play ... somewhere else.

It's unfortunate, but I think it was the right decision. He's never hit anyone with a pitch, but what if he did? A 40 mph fastball from a 9 yr old is probably equivalent to a 99-100 mph fastball in the majors. The league has other kids to think about.

If the kid is that good he may be better off playing with older kids. He'd still dominate, but the batters wouldn't be in as much danger.

Just an FYI, a friend of mine lives in this kids' town, and this is NOT the only team he plays on. He plays on other, much more competitive teams! This weekend he's already pitching in THREE games. That can NOT be good for that kid's developing arm.

Here's an ESPN article with more details (and a bit of snark ;) )

ESPN Page 2 - Kreidler: Let the kid play ... somewhere else.

Thanks for the additional information from your link! Now that I've read the rest of the story about him alway playing on another , more advanced league......then I can better understand the reasoning as to why he shouldn't also be allowed to play against the beginners in the other league. It just goes to show you what a difference that hearing both sides of a story can make! Thanks again! Jenni:)