Mormon Leaders Lying

MrNirom

Ouch. Of course, Brother Mr. Nirom, it did used to say that, in an older version of the D&C. That was before the Nauvoo days. It was revised.

One of the anti-Mormon's biggest weapons is the true but untaught history of the Church. This is a good example.

HiJolly

Ouch. Of course, Brother Mr. Nirom, it did used to say that, in an older version of the D&C. That was before the Nauvoo days. It was revised.

One of the anti-Mormon's biggest weapons is the true but untaught history of the Church. This is a good example.

HiJolly

Well.. ya learn somthing new everyday. So the origianl revelation was removed? or was it placed somewhere else?

Guess I will pull that video down.

Instead of trying to catch us in our words ... I think the time would be better spent understanding what we teach today, now, and trying to apply it to our lives.

We don't exist to apologize, but to proclaim Christ's gospel. If there are errors perpetuated, they are by man. Condemn not the things of God.

Well.. ya learn somthing new everyday. So the origianl revelation was removed? or was it placed somewhere else?

Guess I will pull that video down.

Here's more info:

Page 169, lines 30-33 anti-Mormon book "The God-makers"

" [Joseph Smith took wives] in brazen disobedience to the Book of Mormon and Section 101 of the Doctrine and Covenants."

The Book of Mormon does say the general rule is monogamy, but that under certain circumstances the Lord will require a plurality of wives.

The original Section 101 (never claimed as a revelation but approved as a statement of belief) did state that monogamy was the practice of the Church at that time. The section was not written by Joseph Smith and was voted upon by members in his absence. Perhaps the section was intended to prevent members from getting involved with plural marriage until such a time as the practice would be authorized by the Lord Church-wide. When that became the fact, the current Section 132 replaced the old Section 101.

See The Truth About "The God Makers," 12

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly

Instead of trying to catch us in our words ... I think the time would be better spent understanding what we teach today, now, and trying to apply it to our lives.

Good point. We are true to those original words today in that we do not teach or practice polygamy. Even with the unfortunate deviation in the past, the ark is now steadied.

Hi-Jolly

Where does the Book of Mormom say certain circumstances may require plural wives?

Golfnut

Jacob 2:

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.

HiJolly

I guess I do not understand how the Lord raising up seed leads to plural wives.

Especially after all the teachings of Christ, and Adam and Eve raised up seed without additional Eves.

Glad W.W. ended it.

I know you're not alone in your opinion. I guess you thought Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, etc. were .... what? wicked? foolish? lascivious?

HiJolly

>>>30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.<<<

I stay out of these conversations because I think most of the time they lead no where. However, this time I will interject a small bit part. Twenty+ years ago I was taking a D&C class from Brother Luan Otten at BYU. We discussed Eternal Marriage, plural marriage, and yes, even the scriptures in Jacob. He then asked the class to raise their hands if they were decended from "polygamists". From memory I recall probably 80% of the class raised their hands. So, apparently there are times when the Lord does, and would like, to raise up "seed onto" Him.

O43

I guess I do not understand how the Lord raising up seed leads to plural wives.

Especially after all the teachings of Christ, and Adam and Eve raised up seed without additional Eves.

Glad W.W. ended it.

Actually it was Joseph F. Smith that really ended it.

M.

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

HiJolly

Posted Image

I think this was intended for raising

up seed to God... much like Kunta

Kinte from Roots...

31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.

This second quote seems to be the one for would be polygamists.

Hijolly,

no not wicked but under a different covenant. They also sacrificed animals, the New Covenant ended that too. I prefer Enoch, Lehi, Nephi's example. The foundation of our faith is not one of ancient customs, Nephi's vision centered on Heavenly Fathers plan to reconcile man to him by Jesus Christ. We are to live by the same faith of Abraham.Romans4:13-16 (JS inspired version)

It's funny that people talk about Mormon leaders lying like there are the only ones who do...I'm Catholic and I know that my church has been lying for centuries...others as well....devout evangelists also have had their share with leaders doing "immoral" things while preaching to everyone else not to do it. I just think it's funny.

It's funny that people talk about Mormon leaders lying like there are the only ones who do...I'm Catholic and I know that my church has been lying for centuries...others as well....devout evangelists also have had their share with leaders doing "immoral" things while preaching to everyone else not to do it. I just think it's funny.

You are right, it does have its humorous side. :D