What kind of a wedding is that? Legit?

Hello there Mormon friends!

I'm new here. First of all I'd like to thank the LDS.net for providing such a great forum.

So here's my question:

I really don't know how to explain my situation. So please excuse me for directly asking my question:

Is there something similar to the Islamic Nikah in the Mormon religion? Nikah is a fully legit way of marring someone, but it's not necessarily recorded in the government's databases. It's more like a "spiritual wedding". So it's a contract between "you and god".

I'd REALLY appreciate any answers... and I'm in a great hurry too.

Thanks so much guys!!

Uuuuh, somewhat. :lol: The Sealing ceremony (Temple Marrige) can either be both a Spiritually AND legally recognized "wedding" (meaning you walk in single, walk out legally married, and also married in the eyes of God), or it can be solely a Spiritual wedding, of sorts, where you're being Sealed to your spouse so that you remain married after death. However, you still have to be legally wedded first.

In the US ALL marriages, in order to be legally recognized as such have to be "registered" with the State recorder's office. Who officiates such HAS to be a legally authorized person, which can be a religious minister/leader but must have a commission from the state affirming that status. For the purposes of property rights other kinds of relationships are recognized in certain states but not in others.

To be sealed in the Temple you must be a member of the church in full standing since it requires other ordinances prior to the marriage.

Nikah is a fully legit way of marring someone, but it's not necessarily recorded in the government's databases.

No not really, at least not in the US. To have any type of marrage in the LDS church you still go through the governement and get a marrage license. No leader in the church is suppose to perform any marrage until it has been "okay" by the government.

It would be part of any government database.

i'm not sure i understand your question.... are you saying you are in a legit marriage that isn't recorded in the government's databases? looking for a way to get married but don't want to record it with the government? just comparing different religious practices?

i know some places common law is legally recognized as marriage. but it's not recorded by the government. here they say common law is legally recognised but in a way it's not really cause to get a divorce from a common law they make you fill out the paper work to be "legaly" married. lol kinda dumb huh, get married so you can get divorced. however if you have enough common property or children that there has become a fight over and you want a legal setlement like you would have in a dovorce you have to get the marriage. i would think if someone was "common law" married before joining the church it would be encouraged that they fill out the paperwork and make it official before baptism or temple sealing.....

our law of chastity demands that a marriage be legaly recognised. due to that i would conclude that if you were sealed but not legaly married you can't consummate the marriage without breaking the law of chastity. lol could be an awkward situation....thus the legalities are always taken care of first. even if done "at the same time" the legal paperwork is always compleated before the sealing......at least that's the way i've always seen it done.

One point mus be made Bagatov. In our religion we believe in keeping the law of chastity and part of that law as explained in the temple (where our Spiritual sealing/marriage is officiated) that to keep this law we are only to have sexual relations with our spouse to whom we are legally (government) and lawfully (spiritually by God) wed. So in being sealed in our temples (if the marriages must be performed seperately (government/spiritual), then we are agreeing to go and be married civily as well. I hope that makes sense. Else we are breaking the law of chastity.

• 2 months later...

No not really, at least not in the US. To have any type of marrage in the LDS church you still go through the governement and get a marrage license. No leader in the church is suppose to perform any marrage until it has been "okay" by the government.

It would be part of any government database.

I don't understand.... why does the church care if the government knows about or "okays" our marriage?

Seems odd to me.

I don't understand.... why does the church care if the government knows about or "okays" our marriage?

Seems odd to me.

That's simple. We as LDS, follow the laws of the land. By following the Laws of the Land with respect to Marriage, we are entitled to all the rights afforded to married people, i.e. reduced taxes (In the UK at least). There are also various protections and priviledges available to a couple who is marriedas opposed to cohabitating.

Seems odd to me.

also makes family history easier, as LDS we view the central registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages as a blessing and gift, I believe it came about as part of the Spirit of Elijah returning to the Earth, would be silly not to use it and respect something that has given myself and my ancestors blessings.

In the UK we are married in a civil ceremony first and then in the temple not the other way round, however out Temple Marriage is not legally recognised by the state, if we were have a Temple built in Scotland rather than England Temple Marriages would be recognised there.

-Charley