Should my kids go to seminary?

RainofGold

I attended a seminary class that started at 5.50 AM every morning. I then went to school and slept through my first two classes. Very much worth it. But I agree with your husband in your situation. If the kids aren't committed to it, they won't gain as much from it, especially if your husband isn't supportive. Take your daughter, and encourage your son, but seminary was by far the best thing I did in high school.

I agree with MarginOfError, seminary was the best thing I did in high school. I didn't sleep through the first two classes like he did though, lol. Instead I slept through the class I had right after lunch. I would tell your husband that your daughter is old enough to make her own decision and if she wants to go to let her go. With your son, you can encourage him but don't force him. Who knows... he might not go this year but seeing his sister's example he might want to go next year.

My son started Seminary this year. He is NOT a morning person, and sleeps through any alarm, no matter the volume! But I wake him up at 0525, and he heads for the shower without a fuss. He is "ready for bed" at 9:30, and asleep by 10:00 pm. So far, no reports from school about him sleeping through class...:) I KNOW he does not sleep in Seminary, as my sis is the teacher...;)

My son has never voiced any objection to attending, but then, it was never a choice for him. IMO there are some things, as a parent, that are non-negotiable. Soon enough there will come a time in his life when he will get to decide; when he will be responsible/accountable for ALL of his decisions/choices...but for now, I still get to do some of the choosing for him.

RainofGold, my husband, like yours, is not a member, but, thankfully, he does support both of us in our Church activities. That makes things easier, for sure. He is the one that gets the pleasure of taking him to the youth events...the Stake dances...the Firesides...:D

I think it is important for your (Laurel) daughter to go to Seminary, especially as it is her wish to attend, and to be with her friends; and at 17 years of age, she will know if she is able, physically, to handle it.

Sorry for being so wordy...as most have said, I would encourage them both to attend.

Guest bren1975

Seminary starts tomorrow at 6:15 am, I have a 14 year old son who is a freshman and a 17 year old daughter who is a senior in high school. Well my non-active husband doesn't want the kids to attend seminary because he thinks is too early and they need their sleep. It has being a struggle with my daughter in the past to attend seminary because of health reasons but this year she is doing so much better and is looking forward starting seminary with her other friends from church. But my husband thinks it would be too much for her waking up so early. I told him that he should let my daughter decide if it is too much, he says that the only way he would allow the kids to go to seminary is if they go to sleep by 8:30 pm every night. Is that even possible for two teens to go to bed so early?

Well I don't want to get in a huge fight with my husband over this, but I think it is important that my kids attend seminary, I know my son wont mind not going to seminary because he doesn't like waking up early, but my daughter is the laurel president and she wants to be a good example to the other girls in church.

I really don't know what to do...:confused:

Your situation with your husband is complicated. I did early morning for four years and all my kids did the same. No options. If they didn't go, they lost privileges, but it really wasn't a fight because their friends went. The lack of sleep is a real issue. Teenagers just will not go to bed when they should. There isn't a lot you can do about that. My kids all slept through their first period class in school. However, they all graduated somehow. It takes faith on the part of parents to watch their kids struggle and not step in to make it easier.

This is an issue between you and your husband. You need his support. The kids need to see you both united. They need seminary, no doubt about it. High school is a brutal place and that spiritual start each day is vital. But you'll have to work this out with their dad. I'd suggest much prayer and fasting that he'll come around and support you in this.

Would he consider attending a seminary class once to see what it's like? That might bring him onboard.

Best wishes.

Hidden

RainofGold, my husband, like yours, is not a member, but, thankfully, he does support both of us in our Church activities. That makes things easier, for sure. He is the one that gets the pleasure of taking him to the youth events...the Stake dances...the Firesides...:D

I think it is important for your (Laurel) daughter to go to Seminary, especially as it is her wish to attend, and to be with her friends; and at 17 years of age, she will know if she is able, physically, to handle it.

Sorry for being so wordy...as most have said, I would encourage them both to attend.

Truegrits, I have to say that you are a very lucky women to have the kind of husband that supports you and your children on your church activities. There aren't many of those around here. I'm happy to say that this morning at 5:00 am both of my kids got up, showered and went to their first day of seminary. I just hope that it continues like this for the rest of the year.

~RainofGold:

I'm happy to say that this morning at 5:00 am both of my kids got up, showered and went to their first day of seminary. I just hope that it continues like this for the rest of the year.

Good news, that...:) They will probably go to bed earlier than usual, all on their own, due to the waking up at 0500!! You will not need to nag them to go to bed early.;)

And, yes, I am very thankful for my husband, for his attitude...not only in his not being against our participation, but in his actively supporting us.

I'm happy to say that this morning at 5:00 am both of my kids got up, showered and went to their first day of seminary. I just hope that it continues like this for the rest of the year.

That is great news. I'm hoping when my daughter gets old enough, she won't give me the fuss I gave my parents the first year of seminary. With my parents, the first year was non-negotiable... I had to go that first year but after that it was my choice. I really enjoyed the first year so I went after that the other 3 years without a problem.