Fasting

breeb

Fasting is a problem for me. My blood sugar gets low and it makes me sick. I know that the GA's have said if its a medical problem then don't do it. My question is, is there an alternative to fasting? Something I can do in order to show my faith in this principle?

The principle is self-limitation of the physical desires of the flesh, in conjuction with an attempt to commune (supplicate) with God. It is something we all should do every day, but is a more extreme effort that often brings more powerful results.

I would ponder the principle and see what thoughts come up.

BTW, I'm kinda the opposite - Diabetes type II. I can fast for days without my blood sugar taking a dive. Not fair, is it? Oh, well, I do pay a price.

HiJolly

Not to long I gave a talk on fasting, I am at work and unable to find the reffernce talk I was given from the Bishop. A quick search on LDS.org turned up a talk by Elder Wirthlin in the May 2001 Ensign entitled "The Law of the Fast", in this talk he councils those who are physically able to fast do so.

I feel those of us who are unable to fast because of health issuses, can still receive the blessing of the fast by taking that time to dedicate our prayers and meditation to a specific cause. Just as we would if we had been fasting the Lord knows each of us and the intents of our hearts.

Guest HEthePrimate

Fasting is a problem for me. My blood sugar gets low and it makes me sick. I know that the GA's have said if its a medical problem then don't do it. My question is, is there an alternative to fasting? Something I can do in order to show my faith in this principle?

Hi Breeb,

When I was little and first started fasting, it was REALLY hard for me. However, as I got older and more used to it, I began to actually enjoy Fast Sundays. (Maybe it would be different if I was doing hard physical labor, though! ;)) It seemed that there was one less distraction and it seemed like a "quieter" day (for lack of a better description), and I felt better able to focus on spiritual matters.

Fasting is a convenient way to accomplish this state, but I'm sure you can accomplish the same effect in other ways, since fasting is not a viable option for you. The others have given some good ideas.

Not being one to sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice (I prefer that it actually help somebody!), I like that we pay fast offerings equivalent to what we would eat. Even though you have to eat regularly, maybe there's something else you could forego and donate that amount to helping the poor?

Peace. :)

DH

After surgery (the dreaded gastric bypass...LOL), it was necessary for me to eat as many as 6 tiny meals a day. On fast Sundays, what I did was to limit myself to the liquid food (slim-fast or carnation instant breakfast, etc) rather than eat any solid food. My fast offering was, of course, what two regular sized meals would have cost. Like everyone else, I believe that the intention, carried out with something that shows some self-discipline, is sufficient.

Now, three months later, I can get by without dinner or breakfast before church without having any bad effects.

Hope this helps.

Breeb, I first read your post about fasting this morning, but I had to run off to work. I have been thinking about your issue all day. Now I know for a fact that there are some really smart people here and people who understand the Gospel, certainly people smarter than me and more in tune with the Gospel than me. Having written that, however, I have a few points to ponder that I would like to offer you.

First of all, please turn to Mosiah 4:24-25. I know these verses do not apply to fasting, but I think the general principle applies to your issue. In these verses we read:

"And again I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give. // "And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless...."

As I wrote above, the principle here is what is important. If you say in your heart: "I would fast if it were physically possible for me, but I cannot", then you will remain guiltless. Or, so it seems to me. God does judge us according to the desires of our hearts, as well as our acts.

In addition to having the righteous desire to fast, I would suggest also:

Prayer is a major component of a fast. Pray deeply, fervently, as Enos prayed.

Give as much as you comfortably can, maybe a little more, in your fast offering.

These principles and actions, viz., a heartfelt desire to honor God with a fast, fervent prayer, and a generous fast offering, will go a long way in fulfilling the duty to fast.

May our Father bless you in all your righteous desires.

You might consider a partial fast. In my situation, I take medication that can dehydrate or upset the stomach. So, I try to maybe limit my fast to waters and crackers (w/my medication) until mealtime. Also, I never fast for more than 12 hours. I usually only skip breakfast and lunch. So, I usually wind up breaking the fast around 3 pm or so on Sundays. I then donate what I would have spent on normal meals during the time period.

It's good to live the commandments, but I know the church would want us to put our health first.

I fasted on Sunday and it made me sick. I've actually been sick all week. It's never been this bad before. I think next time I'll try eating fruit and drinking some juice. That'll help keep my sugar up. Just do a little trial and error to see my limits. Going a day without my Coke Zero is quite the sacrifice. Strange thing is I didnt even think about my Coke once.:D

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. This really helped. For some reason I was thinking it had to be all or nothing. You guys rock!