The Scarlet Letter

Franken

Guest curvette

What are the lessons in forgiveness you see in this book? I can see how the lack of forgiveness is illustrated in the Scarlet Letter. It's been a long time since I've read it. I remember that it was really sad. I think that the adulteress Hester Prynn was the best person in the book. She was a person of great integrity and loyalty. Her Minister lover was a good, but weak person who valued the opinions of others more than the well being of the woman he loved or their child. His unconfessed "sin" tormented him until the stress eventually caused his bad health and death. Hester's long lost husband was a vengeful, spiteful person. His inability to forgive caused much suffering to others and himself.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you Curvette. Hester really did bear her trials the best, even as the people were condemning her she would embroider and give to the poor if I recall correctly. What I mean by the lesson of forgiveness, by what you said, is that we shouldn't make eternal judgements on people after they commit one wrong, they can still repent and shape up. That and the fact that really, everybody has their secrets, sins, it's just that Hesters was revealed to the people.

About the minister though, I do think he was weak too, I mean how could he get up every Sunday and do his Sermons and whatever else he does pertaining to the church? I did very much like the conclusion of the book though that showed his lasting strength shining through. I was kinda hoping he'd recover though... and give the book a nice conclusion, I thought it was a little too sad for the story, but I guess that's just Nathaniel Hawthorne for ya.