Of Mice And Men

toto

Guest curvette

I loved it, but I don't really know why. It was a total downer. It translated very well to the stage too. John Steinbeck lived in a world that I just can't relate to, but I loved his books. I just finished reading East of Eden. I had read it in Highschool, but I read it more thoroughly this time.

I was having a discussion about the book not even an hour ago.

"I will put him in my pocket and call him George".

Oh yea, people in real life say words that some people might choose to find offensive. They are just words and cannot hurt you unless you choose to feel hurt. MAN UP!

Guest curvette

Oh puhleeeeeeze! These characters were single, migrant ranch hands. The language used in the book is very mild compared to the type of locker-room language they most likely really used! The language may be offensive to some, but it wouldn't be very realistic if they were saying "Golly gee willy winkers George...."

Originally posted by curvette@Sep 11 2004, 09:37 AM

Oh puhleeeeeeze! These characters were single, migrant ranch hands. The language used in the book is very mild compared to the type of locker-room language they most likely really used! The language may be offensive to some, but it wouldn't be very realistic if they were saying "Golly gee willy winkers George...."

Well maybe that's just us for ya, we're sick of watching reality pass by all day long, and so when we sit down to read something, we'd rather read something that's calm, collective, and well... frankly would never happen. It kinda goes hand in hand with the movie, The Passion of the Christ. It may have been extremely offensive to some, but... I'm guessing it was just more realistic than anything...

Originally posted by deepthinker@Sep 12 2004, 07:27 PM

well, all i know is that i didn't finish reading it because of the language. i knew that i had to take a stand on it becuase it was sooooo hard for me to understand the story past all the profanity. i was not penalized for it in class though. my teacher said he respected me for standing up for my beliefs.

I can totally see how you derived your handle. What with the not being able to get past the fact that normal words that people use offend you to the point that you cannot read a book. You have issues.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Franken@Sep 11 2004, 11:27 AM

Well maybe that's just us for ya, we're sick of watching reality pass by all day long, and so when we sit down to read something, we'd rather read something that's calm, collective, and well... frankly would never happen.

Do you like to read the Bible? Or the Book of Mormon? There is most definitely a time to read subject matter that is fantasy or light comedy as an escape from reality. But, there is also literature (such as the above mentioned) that is designed to teach valuable human lessons. The Bible covers subject matter such as: incest, rape, homicide, infanticide, patricide, fratricide, jealousy, vulgarity, explicit sexuality....The list goes on and on. It's hard to understand how people who eagerly read ancient stories of such things refuse to read a modern story that contains some vulgarities. Of Mice and Men is written in the language of it's setting. If it was written in any other language, it wouldn't be the great work of literature that it is.

Originally posted by curvette+Sep 14 2004, 12:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Sep 14 2004, 12:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Franken@Sep 11 2004, 11:27 AM

Well maybe that's just us for ya, we're sick of watching reality pass by all day long, and so when we sit down to read something, we'd rather read something that's calm, collective, and well... frankly would never happen.

Do you like to read the Bible? Or the Book of Mormon? There is most definitely a time to read subject matter that is fantasy or light comedy as an escape from reality. But, there is also literature (such as the above mentioned) that is designed to teach valuable human lessons. The Bible covers subject matter such as: incest, rape, homicide, infanticide, patricide, fratricide, jealousy, vulgarity, explicit sexuality....The list goes on and on. It's hard to understand how people who eagerly read ancient stories of such things refuse to read a modern story that contains some vulgarities. Of Mice and Men is written in the language of it's setting. If it was written in any other language, it wouldn't be the great work of literature that it is.

To sum all of that up, it's basically just reality. Reality is offensive, but we can't refuse to live in it.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by speedomansam@Sep 14 2004, 02:17 PM

lets not go around comparing the bible and book of mormon to of mice and men now and putting them on equal ground. that's almost like saying we're equal with God and Jesus Christ (and that's an exageration)

That's like saying "we're equal with God and Jesus Christ"? Now that's a quantum leap in logic! These books were written by MEN dear, not God. The Book of Mormon even has a disclaimer at the end of it pleading with the reader to accept the imperfections in it and the imperfections of the MEN who wrote it. You are right that the novel and scripture aren't on equal ground. The scriptures discuss far more vile things than Of Mice and Men.

You all have very good points, and your right there is some profanity but hey think about it. This is the real world, you'll see that everywhere you go.

I think that we all should just make our own choice on what we read. Besides all of the bad language, I think that this book has a great storyline.

Honestly, I wouldn't usually read the book because of the language but I have to. It's not like the teacher will assign me a diffrent book to read. Right?

:huh:

Originally posted by toto@Sep 15 2004, 07:39 PM

You all have very good points, and your right there is some profanity but hey think about it. This is the real world, you'll see that everywhere you go.

I think that we all should just make our own choice on what we read. Besides all of the bad language, I think that this book has a great storyline.

Honestly, I wouldn't usually read the book because of the language but I have to. It's not like the teacher will assign me a diffrent book to read. Right?

:huh:

No! You can't make peace between all of us :D We're having way too much fun arguing about it!

• 3 years later...

I went to a 'very different' highschool. The librarian faithfully read through all the books and liquid papered out every offensive word and whole bits of text. A source of amusement for the students was 'replacement' reading. Book burning and music bonfires were commonplace 'youth entertainment'. It still happens.

Looking further into censorship and it's history the destruction of various texts and music was done according to what people thought were 'criminal'. A bit of historical research into 'banned' material can show the tragedy of this.

My two cents: A book is an inanimate object; it's effects are only as good or evil as the person who is reading it. The challenge is to be a responsible reader and to respond to it in a way that is faith promoting rather than demoting. Books are nowhere near as challenging as the situations that life often confronts you with.

• 2 weeks later...

We were reading this book in English (Im in the 10th grade) and I only stayed for two days until I coundn't take it anymore so I begged my mom to tell my teacher about it because that book is just horrible so he assigned me a different book by the same author its called "The Pearl" its much better, I finished it yesterday.